Chemical light stick for fishing

firefly99

Enlightened
I just started fishing in the last one or two month. Noticed that tackle shops do sell little chemical light stick for attaching to either the tip of fishing rod or float. This chemical light stick have a run time of about 4 hours.

I am thinking buying these little chemical light sticks in bulk. Keeping them as emergency lights for the day when there is a blackout due power outage.Not really to light up the place but rather as a cool light source to provide some comfort in the dark.

What do you think ? Any one of you keep chemical light stick for such situations?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those meant for fishing are really dim, I've cracked one in day time and took me a full minute to find out it was actually glowing.

You might as well get those real glow sticks that's a lot brighter and runs for 10 hours if I recall. There are some cheap internet source for them but I can't remember any right now.

manoloco

Enlightened
just a thought, seeing its very dim and lasts around 4 hours:

I bought a couple of V10 ultra green glow rings from Andygold, and they are really bright, with full charge, they are VERY visible in broad daylight, and they last a lot more than 4 hours, at 3 bucks a piece, i think would be nice to use, and maybe more efective with a better runtime. and you can even kinda set the brightness level to one you think is more effective, i do this with my nitecore, i set it to a level and then charge the glowring.

As soon as i get time to go fishing, i will try it, dont know why i didnt think of it earlier! (perhaps it has to do with the fact that i never used light as to see my line)

if anyone with more time to go fishing can try this, i would love to hear the results!:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181712

one question: how does the light affect the fish?, are they attracted to it too?

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean using the glow ring as marker, a much better solution is to tape a 5mm led onto a 2032 cell, then onto your floater or such. I got everything from DX and it's a lot cheaper than any of the glow thingy and a lot brighter.

As for fish and light, fresh water fish doesn't seem to be attracted in my experience.

manoloco

Enlightened
i agree with you freshwater fish have no contact with luminiscent krill or to luminiscent fish, but i think it could work with saltwater fish... in any case could be fun to try.

At first when i read the post i thought there was talk about using it as lure, then saw you guys meant to use it in the float or rod, im ignorant regarding fishing ( i just do it because when i was a kid i was taught a couple of things and the sea here is very fertile ) but in salwater fishing we dont use buoys.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jzmtl -

I'm surprised that a few dunkings doesn't defeat the system. What kind of tape are you using?

NorCal2500HD

Newly Enlightened
What are you fishing for? We do A LOT of night fishing here
(trout and catfish) and came up with a little system that works perfect.
We take a snap swivel and attach it to the top of a styrofoam/ plastic bobber. At the bottom we attach our glow sticks ( get 20 of them for a dollar at the local dollar store)....cast out and get rid of all slack in the line. Place the snap swivel over your line towards the end of your rod and gently pull down so you have it hanging there about 8" under. when the fish take the bait the bobber goes up, set the hook and your good to go.......good luck:thumbsup: