• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help me find D-ring for McGizmo lanyard carry

StrayLight

Enlightened
FOUND: Help me find D-ring for McGizmo lanyard carry

I've been looking for awhile for just the right attachment ring to lanyard carry my LunaSol27/C-Pak, but I'm striking out. Surely the experts here can point me in the right direction. Yeah, I know, don't call you Shirley.

I'm using this lanyard from Berkeley Point:
mct216.jpg

The Gate Snap is perfect for clipping to my belt loop and the LS27-C drops into my right side tool pocket, but I modded the other end with a fixed 3/4" split ring instead of the nylon cord pictured.
So in reality the other end looks like this lanyard:
MCT1.jpg

This allows me to easily change the size or style of clip I'm using at the tool end of the lanyard.
For awhile I've been using a McGizmo Nano Clip (second from left):
stainless_clips.jpg

This is the only size McGizmo clip that can attach directly to center span of the McGizmo pocket clip:
PDorC.jpg

However, this arrangement has two problems: the Nano Clip is just slightly too small for me, with gloved hands, to quickly unattach from the pocket clip when needed, and more importantly, I've noticed an increasing instance of the Nano Clip coming undone by itself from moderate torsion between the lanyard and the LS27-C in my pocket.

I've decided that stepping up one size to the McGizmo Micro Clip (third from left in the above photo) is the answer to more secure attachment and easier handling, but that clip is too big to attach directly to the center of the pocket clip. I've tried a few sizes of split rings between the pocket clip and Micro Clip, but I'm not happy with any of them. I think a solid D-ring or triangular ring that fits under and around the width of the pocket clip, directly below the screws, is the solution.

Berkeley Point and a couple other places I've looked don't seem to have what I'm looking for... any ideas?

EDIT: Since first posting this question, I happened across the perfect solution in the specialty hardware bins at Lowes:

lights%20%26%20tools%20099.jpg

It's a D-ring from a "picture hanging hook", costs less than one dollar, and it works perfectly. The pocket clip has to be lifted nearly to the point of deformation (beyond spring memory) to slide the ring in place, but once installed, it pivots quite freely in the space between the pocket clip and the final groove below the flared tail. The D-ring is more than big enough to accomodate quick deployment of the McGizmo Micro Clip (2nd largest of the bunch), which is the size I wanted to use with my lanyard.

FYI, Home Depot has a very similar picture hanging hook, but the geometry of the D-ring portion is different enough to make it unusable for this purpose... at least in my experience.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
D-rings are not so easy to come by. There are some available through marine hardware supply but these are typically larger than you seek. Smaller ones are used on 3/8" and 1/2" webbing assemblies and you might find some in either pet gear supplies or luggage and back pack suppliers.

I can suggest one possible solution I came up with that uses an urethane O-ring & split ring (optional):

LanyardRing-1.jpg

LanyardRing-2.jpg

In the example above, I used a Ti split ring and with the right sized clip, you can avoid unwanted capsize of the clip. The urethane O-ring is quite elastic and strong and you would have to really go out of our way to break it and you would have some advance notice that it was stretching to a breaking point as you would be aware of the force being brought to bear.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice Don, any idea where to pick up some of these
urethane O-ring's ?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put the split-ring on the center span...:thumbsup:

p1030175gy7.jpg

StrayLight

Enlightened
Just put the split-ring on the center span...:thumbsup:

p1030175gy7.jpg

Tried that. When disengaged from the lanyard, the split ring tends to slip beneath the pocket clip and get stuck. With gloves on, this is even more of a hassle than unclasping a Nano Clip. This method doesn't work for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Don, I'll have to try the urethane o-ring, but I'm not keen on a lot of flexibility at the attachment point.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Looks nice Don, any idea where to pick up some of these
urethane O-ring's ?

I found mine on a search on line a couple years ago but now don't recall the vendor. I was hot to try them as replacements for the silicone on the lights. Urethane is dang near indestructable although quite a bit more expensive too. I was not satisfied with the seal and action with them though. Bummer. Probably fantastic in a static seal but then they aren't being pushed to their limits or potential.

As shown, the attachment point is flexible and this can make attaching a bit more difficult. By the same token, the split ring will deflect and not present itself as a hard point. :shrug:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've clipped a McGizmo Ti 26mm Clip to my LS27. I know i have a Micro Clip someplace but too lazy to look for at this time to compare but it should measure out at 25mm.

clipoc8.jpg

One suggestion would be to remove the clip and put sharper bends on the pocket clip to lift the bar further away from the flashlight body:shrug:

Another, would be to grind down the Micro Clip a bit so it would fit. Even a larger size could be ground down:shrug:

Shoot me :xyxgun: if anyone takes offense at me at defacing McGizmo property:whoopin::crackup:

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I really liked the 1/4"-20 threaded tripod port in the original McLux. Any chance it could reappear on future lights? It made a very secure attachment point to the Berkeley Point coiled camera tether. I've been edc'ing my Sundrop for months with no lanyard, but I sometimes have a feeling of doom about the possibility of eventually losing it.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find a Leefring for the SureFire C/M series, it may do the job.

dscn2739ff0.jpg

Here is an older thread discussing a few tethering options.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swivel?? BTW that split ring in the front ain't going anywhere. You can attach the clip directly to it...

p1030176jy9.jpg

ugly pics courtesy of my wife's el-cheapo camera...:shakehead

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: FOUND: Help me find D-ring for McGizmo lanyard carry

EDIT: Since first posting this question, I happened across the perfect solution in the specialty hardware bins at Lowes:

lights%20%26%20tools%20099.jpg

It's a D-ring from a "picture hanging hook", costs less than one dollar, and it works perfectly. The pocket clip has to be lifted nearly to the point of deformation (beyond spring memory) to slide the ring in place, but once installed, it pivots quite freely in the space between the pocket clip and the final groove below the flared tail.
That looks damn near perfect. I think McGizmos should come with them as a standard feature.

I gotta ask though, if it was so hard to snap the ring into place, why didn't you just loosen the screws on the clip first?

StrayLight

Enlightened
Re: FOUND: Help me find D-ring for McGizmo lanyard carry

That looks damn near perfect. I think McGizmos should come with them as a standard feature.

Not a bad idea. For those interested in trying this, I just wanted to reiterate that the ring is from Lowes and required no alteration to fit either a Cx2 or C-Pak, though it was a tighter fit on the C-Pak. The same part from Home Depot is shaped slightly different and does not work very well. I actually have not tried this with a PD-Pak, but I suspect it may not fit because the clearance between clip and body is somewhat less than on the clicky bodies.

I gotta ask though, if it was so hard to snap the ring into place, why didn't you just loosen the screws on the clip first?

Of the dozen-odd 1/16" hex bits I have bought or found lying around, none fit the Lunsford screws. So far I've been too cheap to buy the Thorp driver. If it wasn't clear from the OP, I did not have to bend the clip past spring memory, just up to that point, to get the ring under.

I looked at "therainshed" site and while it has quite a few nifty hardware bits, their D-rings have flat backsides, which would preclude them from working on a cylindrical flashlight body.

Last edited:

StrayLight

Enlightened
I have a 102-piece driver bit set from Garrett Wade Tools; $21.50. Works like a dream. If your other 1/16" hex drivers don't fit those screws, they must not be exactly 1/16".

http://www.garrettwade.com/102-piece-hex-driver-bit-set/p/16S01.01/

Thanks, I'll look at that.

Obviously mine are not precisely 1/16", and since Don has chosen these screws for certain reasons (not least of which would have to be accuracy), it irritates me that so many drivers out there are incorrectly sized.

Also, I was wrong about the clip ti stock; turns out both sizes of McLuxIII clicky bodies have long thin clips... last post edited.