Ledil square lenses for MCE ("CMC" series)?

lazarus2405

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

Does anyone have information on the Ledil square lenses for the MC-E? They have them listed on their website, along with what beam patterns (real spot, smooth spot, diffuser, medium, wide, oval). I take it that they're the exact same thing as their CRS line for the XRE, but designed for the MC-E.

So, the two most salient questions:

When might they be available from retailers?

and,

What is different about the MC-E's design that prevents using the CRS optics designed for the XRE?

Thanks.

Edit: In the first version, "XPE" was used where I intended "XRE". An easy error that completely changes the meaning. :oops:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Howdy,

Does anyone have information on the Ledil square lenses for the MCE? They have them listed on their website, along with what beam patterns (real spot, smooth spot, diffuser, medium, wide, oval). I take it that they're the exact same thing as their CRS line for the XPE, but designed for the MCE.

So, the two most salient questions:

When might they be available from retailers?

and,

What is different about the MCE's design that prevents using the CRS optics designed for the XPE?

Thanks.

The XP-E is MUCH smaller

bikerjay

Newly Enlightened
Lazarus2405,

I assume you are talking about the already available XRE series and not the new XP-E. I am not sure there is a huge difference but the effective die size has got to be a little bigger. Ledil seems to be going slow on getting out info on the new MC-E optics. Whats even more odd is there is a 21.6mm round ledil for the MC-E on the cutter.com.au website but no mention of it any where on ledils site. I have ordered an MC-E and a ledil 21.6 and am waiting on shipping still. I am also kind of surprised that cutter does not have the cmc lens for the mc-e listed yet either.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The apparent gap between the MC-E dies is very large. That gap significantly affects the beam projection in a negative manner. The beams look pretty bad with unfrosted optics.

Last edited:

lazarus2405

Newly Enlightened
bikerjay said:
I assume you are talking about the already available XRE series and not the new XP-E.

Oops! Thanks for reading what I meant. Corrected.

I am also kind of surprised that cutter does not have the cmc lens for the mc-e listed yet either.

Why? Pardon the ignorance.

The apparant gap between the MC-E dies is very large. That gap significantly affects the beam projection in a negative manner. The beams look pretty bad with unfrosted optics.

Makes sense. What are the drawbacks of frosting? Doesn't it marginally hurt the optic's efficiency?

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Yes. But more importantly (to me at least), frosting increases the beam angle, so you don't get nearly as much throw.

It should be interesting to see what the beam shots from the Boomerang Reflectors look like. I wonder if they will smooth that out much and still get great throw?