N30 First Impressions

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I just bought the AmondoTech Titanium N30 Compact HID Searchlight from Battery Junction on recommendation of Patriot36.

First of all, I am more blown away by it then I have ever been before by ANY light. It is so much smaller and lighter weight than my Power On Board HID, yet its hotspot is almost as bright and it appears to actually be putting out more light than the giant POB! It is definitely putting out more light than my 15mcp Thor and Pro's Favorite 17mcp, and has just as much if not more throw than my huge 10mcp Thor.
The N30's build quality is far superior to that of the POB, it is much more rugged and durable.
I love its super bright 4200K beam, it is perfect white with a very bright round hotspot and is brighter than I expected it to be. It is extremely lightweight so it will be wonderful to carry on walks. The LED's in the handle are very bright and give great area illumination without running down the battery. I also really like the battery status indicator.

Overall, I absolutely love this light! I feel that I finally have my dream light. It far exceeded my expectations in all ways. I look forward to many years of enjoyment out of this awesome light! It is by far the nicest light in my collection and blows away anything I have ever owned.

BVH

Flashaholic
Hey Blue, welcome to the N30 club. WE all knew you'd love it. Now all you have to do is pick up the L35 when it's available in the next month or so, hopefully.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Thanks BVH!:D

The N30 will be perfect to take on walks because instead of carrying a separate small flashlight like I usually do, I can use the bright LED's of the N30.

I know it is going to be the perfect EDC light for me because it is so small and lightweight and serves as both a standard LED flashlight and a super powerful spotlight.

Its beam quality and light output are astonishing and it completely blows away the POB.:)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
whats the startup time on that 4200K?

It is a lot slower to start up than the 6000K POB, it warms up slowly for 30 seconds to 95% brightness and then after 45-60 seconds it is at full brightness.

The POB gets to 95% brightness in about 15 seconds and then to full brighntess in about 30-40 seconds.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I'll keep that in mind when I receive mine:D

Congrats on getting one! You are going to absolutely love its beam quality and light output!

Another thing to keep in mind is that when I first received it and turned it on, it only stayed on for about 5 seconds and then flickered and went out, but after being charged it is working just fine.:thumbsup:

The N30 is just SO bright it is unbelievable.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I just compared the N30 to the POB in a ceiling bounce test... The N30 lit the room up noticeably brighter! The 15mcp Thor was not even close.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The N30 will be perfect to take on walks because instead of carrying a separate small flashlight like I usually do, I can use the bright LED's of the N30.

I know it is going to be the perfect EDC light for me because it is so small and lightweight and serves as both a standard LED flashlight and a super powerful spotlight.

Its beam quality and light output are astonishing and it completely blows away the POB.:)

Congrats Blue that's great that it finally arrived. I'm not too sure about the N30 as a EDC light, but I think you'll get a ton of use out of it. Do I sense a new avatar in the works? :D

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Congrats Blue that's great that it finally arrived. I'm not too sure about the N30 as a EDC light, but I think you'll get a ton of use out of it. Do a sense a new avatar in the works? :D

Hello Patriot36!

Lol, I was thinking that too... The N30 will be great as my next avatar, I will do it right away.:D

It feels so lightweight compared to my other spotlights and is very liberating to have that kind of power in such a small light.

I will EDC it when I can as I absolutely love it, but when I need a smaller light to fit in my pocket I EDC my 150 lumen Task Force.:thumbsup:

I like how when I shine the N30 on a wall from a few feet away it looks quite a bit brighter than the POB.:)

EDIT: How does the N30 compare to the X990 in brightness/throw?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

BVH

Flashaholic
Blue, if i'm not mistaken, there was an N30 and an X990 in Shootout 4. Take a look and make a comparison. From memory, I think the X990 will still out-perform the N30 in both brightness and throw. For an "old technology" HID, it still packs a good punch. But it is heavy and awkward for me.

DArklite

Enlightened
Congrats Bluebeam on the N30 :thumbsup:
I want one too but think I'll hold off for the L35 while I'm still being dazzled by the POB.
How would you compare the throw of the N30 vs. the POB?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
BVH
Blue, if i'm not mistaken, there was an N30 and an X990 in Shootout 4. Take a look and make a comparison. From memory, I think the X990 will still out-perform the N30 in both brightness and throw. For an "old technology" HID, it still packs a good punch. But it is heavy and awkward for me.

Thanks for the info BVH! I will take a look at that shootout.

DArklite
Congrats Bluebeam on the N30 :thumbsup:
I want one too but think I'll hold off for the L35 while I'm still being dazzled by the POB.
How would you compare the throw of the N30 vs. the POB?

The POB has a brighter hotspot than the N30 so the POB will out throw it. I will let you know tonight exactly how they compare after I do my comparison outside.

The N30 blows away the POB in all ways except for the POB's super bright hotspot and laser like beam. I am still amazed by that one aspect of the POB, and I am glad you are enjoying yours!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
My N30 just reached a full charge and I like how the red charging light changes to green rather than the POB which has two separate charging lights.

Everything about the N30 is just wonderful!:twothumbs My favorite thing about it is its large perfect round super bright hotspot. It has the nicest beam color and quality I have ever seen in a light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hello Patriot36!

Lol, I was thinking that too... The N30 will be great as my next avatar, I will do it right away.:D

It feels so lightweight compared to my other spotlights and is very liberating to have that kind of power in such a small light.

EDIT: How does the N30 compare to the X990 in brightness/throw?

Pretty much exactly what BVH said but it's to be expected since the X990 is a 35W light. My batteries only run about 30 minutes now because they're tired. I only use it as a vehicle spotlight these days, while plugged into the 12V lighter socket. That 12V adapter is also much lighter than a battery pack so it's easy to hold. The color temperature is about the same as the N30.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Pretty much exactly what BVH said but it's to be expected since the X990 is a 35W light. My batteries only run about 30 minutes now because they're tired. I only use it as a vehicle spotlight these days, while plugged into the 12V lighter socket. That 12V adapter is also much lighter than a battery pack so it's easy to hold. The color temperature is about the same as the N30.

Thanks Patriot!

I just went out and did my comparison between the POB and N30, as it is just getting dark so it is perfect to compare hotspots. I shined them at trees 300 yards away and the POB had a much more laser like beam and put a clearly brighter spot on them, but the N30 put a larger spot on them and still lit them up very well. I would say the N30 has 80% the hotspot brightness and throw of the POB.

Now the part where the N30 really smoked the POB was in light output and color. The N30's beam was much wider and noticeably brighter than that of the POB, and it illuminated my back yard quite a bit brighter than the POB did. The color rendition of the N30 is amazing, the colors of everything in its beam show up perfectly like daytime, the POB's color rendition isn't nearly as good.
It was amazing just shining the N30 around my property as I was in awe of its light output, it was like holding the sun. I have never had a light before that puts out nearly as much light as it does. The N30 really stomped the POB, I love it!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Now the part where the N30 really smoked the POB was in light output and color. The N30's beam was much wider and noticeably brighter than that of the POB, and it illuminated my back yard quite a bit brighter than the POB did. The color rendition of the N30 is amazing, the colors of everything in its beam show up perfectly like daytime, the POB's color rendition isn't nearly as good.
It was amazing just shining the N30 around my property as I was in awe of its light output, it was like holding the sun. I have never had a light before that puts out nearly as much light as it does. The N30 really stomped the POB, I love it!

Since it was so easy to get you hooked up with a N30, I should have told you that I have a PH-40 with your name on it. :naughty:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Since it was so easy to get you hooked up with a N30, I should have told you that I have a PH-40 with your name on it. :naughty:

:laughing::D Perhaps you should have, lol. Thanks for recommending the N30 to me, I couldn't be happier with it or any other light in the $200 range!:thumbsup: