Who is the best Starship Captain, Kirk or Picard?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Sub question: Can you take a Star Trek serious, that doesn't have Spock? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

K A

Enlightened
Picard didnt pause his sentances like Kirk did. So I think my vote goes to Picard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
picard, but then kirk was the only one to pass the kobayshi maru! he changed the rules! i like that; i did something similar in my econ class, prof was pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the way Kirk would meet an alien chick, and then after commercial, he'd be getting dressed, putting his boots on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the better captain of the two is Picard, even though he can be all snooty and stuck-up once in awhile.
Kirk was alright, but he got himself in trouble too many times.

Sub question: TNG has Lt. Cmdr. Data, who can be quite "logical" and Spock-like at times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voyager has Cmdr. Tuvok (yes, another "emotion-free" Vulcan), and I'm really not sure who plays that role in DS-9. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Maybe Odo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The new Enterprise series comes on a channel I don't pick up here, so I don't know who plays the "Spock" role.

Here in Seattle, KCPQ-13 (the only channel I get!) has Voyager on at 11pm and DS-9 on at midnight.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me started in this... I'll just bring up Janeway as the best (with Picard as a close second)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
-Jason

iddibhai

Enlightened
the best series overall: DS9 by a LONG shot. SUPERB writing. sure TNG/VOY/ENT/TOS had one off really good eps, but man, DS9 was on a roll. they better make a movie(s) out of DS9!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
James T.

Picard is not too bad but Kirk got the babes. Didn't seem to matter if they were gold or green or brown or blue. Kirk got the babes. It may have been...the...way...Hetalkedtothem...and, EXPLIANED!...His feelings. ThePrimeDirectivewas a...GUIDE!......not a...law.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picard's gotta take the cake between the two.

My favorite episode(s) was the one where "Q" transplanted them into a Robinhood type fairytale... I can still remember seeing Michael Dorn taking a liking to Levar Burton's ukalele... Classic...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
My favorite episode(s) was the one where "Q" transplanted them into a Robinhood type fairytale... I can still remember seeing Michael Dorn taking a liking to Levar Burton's ukalele... Classic...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yes! "Hide & Q" (or "Q-Pid") was probably the name of the episode.
Somewhere around here I have tape of the part where Worf does his thing with Geordi's ukulele (or mandolin). And I don't mean Worf plays the instrument either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm gonna start collecting them on DVD (The original series), when I'm done with The Twilight Zone.
(I have 1-30)

Tomas

Banned
Re: Who is the best Starship Captain, Kirk or Pic

Picard was the better of the two. Kirk had a really bad habit of not thinking before acting, and therefore endangering his crew and mission all to often.

'Trek at the Mall' (DS9) had overall better writing than either of the others, but for some reason I just couldn't really get into it all that much.

tomsig03.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why Kirk is better than Picard...

One Word: Hair

Kirk says "Prime Directive? What Prime Directive?"

Kirk says "Shoot first and wait for retaliation."

Kirk never once said "Abandon ship! All hands abandon ship!"

If there was ever a Klingon on Kirk's bridge, Kirk would likely be dead.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can't take credit for these, lots more here:

http://winn.com/bs/st-captains.html

Pretty funny, I reckon..

Graham

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I have to add this one - classic:

Kirk once made a cannon out of bamboo, sulphur, potassium nitrate, charcoal and then fired diamonds into the hearts of his enemies. (Need we say more?)

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

The best captain is Janeway. Why wasn't she included in this?

Kirk was probably the worst captain, but also the most colorful. But perhaps we need to judge his management skills by space rather than earth standards?

The original cast was also much better than Picard & Co, but not as good as the Voyager crew.

Spock was always cooler than Kirk.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

Kirk is the only true captain of the Enterprise...the others were just wannabes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides Kirk was tougher. The others were never able to win a fight simply by using Kirks famous "double hand club (chop?) to the back"

Also, Kirk had patience like no other. Who else would put up with Mr. Scott's whining all the time..."She gonna blow" and "the dilithium crystals are gone" and so on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

Picard's duties could have been assumed by the ship's computers. Kirk's couldn't since he was involved more with direct and physical involvement.

I dropped the whole thing though a bit into the 'Next Generation' series when it became obvious that it was going to be a soap opera type format. The original had a story independent of others for each show, other than one or two two-part ones like "The Cage". With the 'Next Generation' they introduced cliff-hangers and you couldn't keep track of what the show involved unless you kept up on all the previous shows.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kirk was better at throwin' down so he gets my vote.

Besides anybody that calls his second in command "Number One" is an ***.

later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Graham observes:
One Word: Hair

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Kirk has a great toupe (especially in the movies).

BTW, while we're on the subject of Star Fleet Commanders, check out this great article, "Notes on Star Trek", by Steven Den Beste, with excellent observations about the impracticality of Star Fleet's command structure.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've once heard it said that if Kirk and Picard were engaged in a life and death struggle with each other, Picard would pause and say "Wait, why are we doing this". Right then, Kirk would kill him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

Latest posts