Overheard outside the halls of CPF

georget98

Enlightened
Overheard in the outside world (did I post this before?)

At the neighbor's:
[*]Put the batteries in tip-to-tip so they won't run down when you're not using it.

[*]I figure once the bulb burns out it's just the start of trouble so I toss it the whole thing in the trash.

[*]I'm a flashlight freak, I've got them in both cars, one in the basement, and one in the bedroom.

[*]Just shake it a couple times.

[*]My dad told me to keep it in the freezer so it'd always be ready but to keep the batteries warm

[/list]
In the hardware store:
<ul type="square">
[*]LED flashlights? Sure, this one's got a flashing LED so you can find it in the dark.

[*]$12.00 for a flashlight! What are they nuts? Nobody would ever pay that much.

[*]How about this one. It's sealed so the batteries last forever.

[*]No, they don't make 5 cell lights anymore. They were too powerful.
[*]Mag-Lite? You can only get those at a police store. You've got to show your badge.

[/list]
In the police station:
<ul type="square">
[*]Sure I killed her, she took the battery out of my Arc AAA LE for her pager!

[*]Send a car over to Elm Park. Someone's running some sort of Hollywood searchlight there.

[*]The shop has $50,000 worth of digital cameras but all the thief took was lithium batteries.

[*]I wish they sold Mag-Lites at the uniform shop. I hate waiting in line at Wal-Mart.

[/list]
In the bar:<ul type="square">
[*]My brother-in-law's a cop, he can get one for you, but they're expensive — nearly 20 bucks.

[*]All she gave you for Christmas was a flashlight? So when's the divorce.

[*]The house was dark but I rang the bell anyways and this guy came to the door carrying a flashlight. Funny thing, they had power.

[*]Impossible! If anyone can light that up from here I'll buy the beer for a month.

[*]Some wierdo in front of me set off the metal detector and when they searched him he had 15 flashlights!

[/list]

Last edited:

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I guess my perspective really is skewed, isn't it? That's surely a blast of reality in here. Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm moving this to the Cafe...

It's very good! I like this one:
"The shop has $50,000 worth of digital cameras but all the thief took was lithium batteries"

Al

Blikbok

Enlightened
Funny how some of the same sentiments show up in every hobby.

"Why would anyone spend that much money on a flashlight?" ...as they spend "sane" amounts of money on their digital camera, clothes for the dog, a TV 2" bigger....

And I *love* listening to anyone talk about or try to sell something I know about. I usually have to leave the area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
And I *love* listening to anyone talk about or try to sell something I know about. I usually have to leave the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it... I saw a dealer at the last gun show selling nothing but flashlights, mostly Surefire, but had Streamlight and a few others - he was long on BS and short on facts, but he sold a bunch of them while I was there.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Sounds like every gunshow or computer show I've ever attended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif On one occasion the BS was so deep, I refused to deal with that vendor. Very hard to walk away rather than try to prove I was right.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
...And some of my friends still think mags are "military only" lights...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before CPF, I had a few flashlights -- inexpensive ones. But they never worked because the batteries were always dead. The batteries were always dead because they were beyond the expiration date. They were beyond expiration because I so very rarely used the lights. I rarely used the lights because they weren't very bright and weren't handy -- most of the time I couldn't find them. They weren't handy because I stashed them away somewhere. I stashed them away because they were so big I had to have a special place for them. So I just unplugged a lamp from the wall, took it where I wanted it, and tried to make it do the job. I didn't know any better,

Now I have a few small, bright lights. I know where they are because I use them every day. There's always at least one in my pocket. So, I don't have to fumble with table lights and wall switches. I don't have to squint or take things to the window to see them clearly.

Yesterday, I did some adjustments to my garage door opener, tucked up against the ceiling of my dark garage. I've done it before, and it has been an awkward, difficult job. This time, I took Mr. Bulk's LGI Classic with me -- the right light for the job. It was simple and fun.

Using flashlights is not like an addiction. It's like finding a better way to live.

That said, I must admit there is an addictive quality about flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
...And some of my friends still think mags are "military only" lights...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's scary s**t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I've brought SureFire and Arc LS lights to the bar with me, and whipped out a SureFire KL1 to find some money that fell on the floor behind a cooler behind a bar. I don't think I've brought a Mag to a bar since I worked in one in the late 1980s, and that was quite a bit before LED "bulbs" and LS-laden platforms started showing up for them a year or so ago. So my Mags still had "regular" bulbs in them at that time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't know how it is today, but back then you could get Mags almost anywhere, but you had to get Magnum-Star bulbs for them at the gun store. Nobody else carried them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
But gunstores always have lots of fun, non-gun stuff. Why wouldn't you want to go into the gunstore? Oh, that's right. The people who hang out at gunshops because they know the owner, and everything about anything.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Oh, that's right. The people who hang out at gunshops because they know the owner, and everything about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I only went to this particular gun store for the light bulbs, and not the guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I went to another gun store for one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_W said:
.....So I just unplugged a lamp from the wall, took it where I wanted it, and tried to make it do the job. ....
Using flashlights is not like an addiction. It's like finding a better way to live.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Those plug-in things shed more light when plugged in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...
We bring good things to light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wits' End. That's another advantage to using a flashlight. If you forget to plug it in, it doesn't matter.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Funny how some hobbies overlap. I got into Surefires cause I bought one at a gunstore, so long ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
i went to shopping centre, and buy PT RAGE replacement bulb.

the guy asked me "Thats one is for PT RAGE, do you have PT RAGE?"

and i said to him "No"

And he start looking at me like he looks to alien.
(he must be thinking im crazy.) i just keep looking at the bulbs and buy some of them. (NOT the flashlight, just the bulbs) hehe...

Blikbok

Enlightened
At REI, in the flashlight aisle:
"Oh, I thought you worked here."

Can't count the number of times I helped people buy flashlights while I was at REI.

I love when the salesman starts trying to help me buy a flashlight. Then I sell flashlights to other customers and get the salesman to buy one of the lights himself. They should have a program to encourage their employees to use the products they sell, because it's painful to watch the customer ask, "have you used one of these?" and the employee say no.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think that Maglites were the best, now I know I was wrong. Their bulbs and beams suck and LEDs can blow away many of their lights.

Latest posts