Maxpedition - Fixed Blade Knives
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Default Re: "2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Gentlemen, we have a suggestion that we'd like to float

Our proposal is that we offer TWO knives this year. A choice of a "folder" and ALSO a fixed blade with the same blade style adapted for a fixed blade. It would run in less than the folder as far as cost but besides that, not everyone is into folders.

This way we would be able to offer a folder for those looking for a folder and a fixed blade with the same/very similar blade style for those looking for a fixed blade.
    |
    We would still run the number system, there could be two lists, one for folders, one for fixed.

Look forward to hearing from anyone interested in our idea.

Cheers, Carol

Administrator

Depending on cost, I would be interested in a fixed blade.

Thumbs up Re: "2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Carol & George,
    That may be a good idea. Takes care of a bit of the price hurdle as well as gives an option for those who like one of the other.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

how about a fixed tanto blade with carbon fiber handles?! hmm? i would love that! hopefully 40 other people will too....great work on the last one george!

I'd like to see the sketches for both the fixed-blade and folder before saying yes or no to buying the 2009 CPF knives. Also, a firm decision needs to be reached if the blade will be made out of 440C or S30V.

Speaking only for myself, I would not be interested in an S30V blade. Many collectors love exotic steels. I'm not one of them. A properly heat-treated 440C blade can easily keep up with any of the exotics out there, and at a lower price-point.

As for the blade length, since getting 40 definite orders will not be easy, I feel it would be a good idea to keep the length at just under 3-inches. (2 7/8, for example). This will ensure that those who live in the more restrictive places can legally carry this knife with them. While laws vary, those places that do not outright ban the carrying of folding knives with locks; often will not go more restrictive than "under 3 inches," in terms of blade length. Here in NYC the law is "under 4 inches." In places like Chicago, "3 inches or under."

Carry-clip on the folder would be appreciated. To solve the age-old problem of position, the holes for the screws should be placed on both ends. Each customer can decide for himself if he wants tip-up or tip-down carry.

Also, I know I'm in the minority on this one but.... Any chance George could use Phillips head screws for the clip, instead of those God-awful tiny Allen head screws that are so wildly popular. Those tiny screws are so horribly easy to strip, even with a quality Allen wrench.

Perhaps a good friction-fit leather belt pouch could be offered as an option, for those who would prefer to take the clip off entirely.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by ambientmind View Post
    how about a fixed tanto blade with carbon fiber handles?! hmm? i would love that! hopefully 40 other people will too....great work on the last one george!
    Greetings This is something that if you are really interested in you may want to talk to us about ordering one on your own. Carbon fibre is too much of a health risk so would you consider G10 ?

e-mail- sales@tichbourneknives.com
    or PM us.

Cheers, Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I'd like to see the sketches for both the fixed-blade and folder

A properly heat-treated 440C blade can easily keep up with any of the exotics out there, and at a lower price-point.

keep the length at just under 3-inches. (2 7/8, for example).

the holes for the screws should be placed on both ends.

Any chance George could use Phillips head screws for the clip, instead of those God-awful tiny Allen head screws that are so wildly popular. Those tiny screws are so horribly easy to strip, even with a quality Allen wrench.

Perhaps a good friction-fit leather belt pouch could be offered as an option, for those who would prefer to take the clip off entirely.
    Hi Monocrom

George will be doing up drawings some time this week, may run into the weekend.

You are correct about the 440C verses exotics however in a folder the main cost you run into is labour not material costs.

Re blade length, George was intending to do that.

holes at both ends - yes -

George uses torx screws because they do not strip the heads during the amount of assembly and re-assembly required to make a folder. You would require an appropriate sized torx screw driver if you plan on working on your folder.

Leather sheaths could be an additional option like last year.

Cheers, Carol

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    Carol & George,
    That may be a good idea. Takes care of a bit of the price hurdle as well as gives an option for those who like one of the other.
    Hi PhantomPhoton, agreed, not everyone likes folders and as mentioned addresses cost issues as well.

Cheers, Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
    Depending on cost, I would be interested in a fixed blade.
    Hi Unforgiven once George gets the drawings complete I'll have an opportunity to look at the pricing. It would be safe to say that a fixed blade would be at least half the price of the folder.

Cheers, Carol

Thanks for the response, Carol.

Also, I forgot to wish the two of you a happy Anniversary. Sorry about that.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

forgot to wish the two of you a happy Anniversary.
    Thankyou for the good wishes - 31 years !!!!

Cheers, Carol
    Last edited by george tichbourne; 10-16-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks for sharing that pic, you two look and sound to be very happy. It's reassuring to see couples who are still going strong and very much in love after so long together. Moral values aren't being washed down the drain after all.
    Last edited by brighterisbetter; 10-08-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: wrong country, oops

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post
    Thanks for sharing that pic, you two look and sound to be very happy. It's reassuring to see couples who are still going strong and very much in love after so long together. Moral values aren't being washed down the drain in America after all.
    I'm kinda wishing I hadn't found your post.... George & Carol are Canadian.

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't found your post.... George & Carol are Canadian.
    Oops, didn't realize that. My post has been corrected, lol.

A Camp knife, Bowie style, 6.5'' blade, 1/4 thick in Tool Steel (A-2 or 0-1) Rc hardness 58-60.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post
    Oops, didn't realize that. My post has been corrected, lol.
    Hey !!!! It doesn't matter if we are Canadian or not, there are many American couples who have been married as long as we have if not longer. As a matter of fact we deal with many of them on a regular basis.

Look around they are out there................

Cheers, Carol

George has made up the drawing, I will scan and post this evening.

Cheers, Carol

OK, lets try this again, gee I don't like this kind of stuff, Chris is the fellow who is really good with this

(now the picture is SMALL - well I'm not changing it again tonite )

Blade length 2 7/8" OAL 7 1/2 - 8"

Cheers, Carol
    Last edited by george tichbourne; 10-16-2008 at 07:08 PM.

I like the folder. Reminds me of a snubby Umzumnaan. High hollow with a sharpened swedge, I presume? If we are going exotic, why not go with M4? Everybody and their brother has an S30V blade...
    强光手电是我最爱得

Come on folks, any opinions, ideas, suggestions,

Are you interested in these renderings ??

How 'bout some feed back so we know if we're on the right track "in general".....................

Cheers, Carol

Due to the huge change in the Aust $ I'm probably out at this stage since I can't see a rapid improvement in the economy. Having said that I like the shape/dimensions.

I'd be in for the folder depending on how it will look in the end.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I am feeling the folder. It looks like that is the one I would lean toward.

I have your 2008 CPF "32" and it is a work of art. I will defiantly be watching this new 2009 flavor.

Maybe some nice skeleton cut-outs on the frame would be nice. But then again, I am not a designer.

As far as the folder, I do want a very very smooth action with a positive lock.

Balance on the first finger and a tanto grind at the tip. Larger thumbstud, an integrated whistle towards the end of the frame would be fantastic. Jimping at the ramp and lockbar cutout. G-11 and not G-10 scales. And again, M4 steel.
    强光手电是我最爱得

I think the folder design looks great and i'm interested.
    schiesz
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

I'd also be interested in yellow or orange scales or whatever the sides of a knife are called. Sorry for my ignorance
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Some suggestions:

Point "A": Perhaps you could integrate the thumb ramps on both the handle and the blade spine to be one continuous line. that would make the lines cleaner.

Point "B": for the fixed blade, i feel there should be a finger guard too. (and perhaps the fixed blade and folder should both look similar to each other too.)

Point "C": Round this a little, and add a circular cutout to aid sharpening.

Cheers and Regards,
    Nick
    Life, What is it but a dream?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tensixteen View Post

Point "B": for the fixed blade, i feel there should be a finger guard too. (and perhaps the fixed blade and folder should both look similar to each other too.)

I like the blade curves better on the folder drawing and would like to see them on the fixed blade as well. Also I agree that since they both are proposed as the 2009 CPF knives, they should look very similar.

440C or S30V are both fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by tensixteen View Post
    Point "C": Round this a little, and add a circular cutout to aid sharpening.
    Sorry, have to disagree with you there. Some sort of lower guard would be nice. If that portion of the handle gets rounded, your fingers could slip onto the cutting edge.

I can't stand circular cutouts. In my experience, they are a minor contribution when it comes to aid in sharpening. What they are great for is causing the cutting egde to get hung up on what you're cutting, when you need to use the full length of the blade. A far better solution is to either leave it alone, or use the ramp cutout for ease of sharpening. (That works far better).

Here's a pic of the Michael Janich "Tempest" to illustrate what I mean....

Last edited by Monocrom; 10-19-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Hey Monocrom,

I like a guard too, what i meant was this:

if you look at the right side of the picture, the top diagram illustrates George's original design, and the bottom one is the one which i tweaked to show what i mean..=)

Cheers and Regards,
    Nick

Sorry, have to disagree with you there. Some sort of lower guard would be nice. If that portion of the handle gets rounded, your fingers could slip onto the cutting edge.
    Life, What is it but a dream?