HDS Systems
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: "2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Default Re: "2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Cuso View Post
    Carol,

BTW: Who's Cusco??
    Sorry 'bout that they are one of our "commercial polishing" customers

"Thankyou" for your response, completely understand and am glad you enjoyed last year too

Cheers, Carol

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    Look forward to seeing some of George's heavy use folder, as I am in the market for one.

SL1
    Smokelaw it shouldn't be too long I hope it was supposed to be last fall but there have been several obstacles. A new piece of equipment just arrived from Montreal today that George has been waiting for so we are hopeful that very soon I will have something to photograph and get in the market.

As soon as it's ready I'll let you know

Cheers, Carol

Unenlightened

OK ,I have been watching this from the sidelines and want to comment on what I think is the loss of interest in the 2009 CPF blade by Mr. Tichbourne. First of all I am no blade expert, but I just don't see myself spending that amount of money on one of the blade styles offered by Mr. Tichbourne. Not questioning his quality work and craftsmanship, its just that his traditional blade styles are not my cup of tea. Im sure there's a lot of traditional (antique??) blade style fans in here that love George's work, and will pay the sum for a folder, but I bet most of the crowd here is waiting for something "tactical" looking and wrapped in orange G10 ( or blue), than the fine mother of pearl and stag bone George is used to work with..or am I wrong?? Sorry to say we will have to look elsewhere. Mr. Tichbourne himself has stated that he is fairly new to the folder scene and his traditional way of making knifes translates into his current offerings. I'm sure he will be more than pleased to accommodate the crowd to whatever we choose, but unless a prototype is made that sparks the interest of the silent lookers, the 2009 CPF blade by Mr. Tichbourne will remain vapor until then. I dropped out of the 2008 blade list when I saw the final design and materials, and I will dare to say most of the guys in the list bought it for the collectible factor, the CPF stamp and the numbering.
    Did you guys see the EDC forums knife project??? They kept the price realistic , and the little thing looks awesome in orange G10. Maybe this is the route the CPF 2009 should take, does not have to be this design but gives you an idea...

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=25541.0
    I know , but given we are nowhere near the 40 interest list Tichbourne needs to make this happen, maybe we should get REAL and try for something less exotic...If this is going to be a CPF branded item we should go for quantity for everyone to enjoy not a uber exotic knife with the CPF logo that just a handfull of people are going to own. This should be left for a knife specific forum not a flashlight forum.
    Indeed , most of us have , me included. What I mean is that we are proposing a very high caliber knife to the wrong crowd, yes most of us are knife enthusiast too willing to shell out the cash , but some are not... $500 for a CPF branded Mcgizmo, sure ?? $500 for a CPF branded knife?? . See what I mean ? Wrong crowd...
    Hey bro hope all is well

Many of the comments you made are exactly the kind of comments I receive when I carry a custom folder or when someone happens to find out it's price. I have a few knives about $600-$800 and.

Truth be told I happen to know George and consider him a good friend. (Now let's begin)

Many comments you made are generalizations, and your speaking for a community as a whole. While I agree this is a flashlight forum we are all pretty much the same individuals. (People that have a passion for something)

I lump all the below collectors, users, accumulators together, because they usually try to find higher end pieces of other tools while collecting their own specific one.

Knives (custom & production)
    Guns
    Jewelery ( Starlingear, Bill Wall, Steel flame, Drapers)
    Flashlights
    Gear ( Tad )

I'm not a flashlight junkie so you will have to excuse me. I'm more of a knife whore.

To me a flashlight is just a flashlight. Something you buy which will give you light when you need it; no more no less. After discovering knives I started looking at all the above mentioned tools closely, and found that there are some awesome tools to be had within the industry.

I would love to spend $1000 and buy a Spy 007, because I know it's a wicked light due to the overwhelming response by the knife community as well as the flashlight community. (One day I will too eh) We are all inherently collectors of high end tools which are not just limited to one specific type of tool.

I have a passion to collect high end knives, and because of that passion I understand your passion in collecting Highend lights. You some how do not share the same opinion when you stated that this is a light forum and why are we doing a knife.

I like to think about knives in a different nature. Look at all the below things which make a good knife, and what George offers.

Steel
    Handle Material ( choices )
    Heat Treating
    Amazing Grinds
    Fit & finish
    Lifetime warranty
    Free lifetime Sharpening Services

Most importantly I buy the maker and then the product. Life is to short to give money to someone you don't respect or care for, no matter how good the product. Many knife nuts will tell you that a knife community is very small and almost everyone knows each other. Everyone helps each other with designs to materials to just overall support, because everyone wants the other to succeed. A custom knife is a different animal. A maker has countless hours of blood, sweat and tears into his craft. I wholeheartedly believe that each custom handmade knife has a bit of the makers soul in it, and each is unique.

I agree within this recession most people can not afford a high end folder, and would prefer a fixed blade. I do agree with the knife being affordable enough so many people can grab a piece of CPF.

Possibly a skeleton fixed blade. Could always be used in the field to something in the kitchen.

Discuss the price
    Discuss the length
    Discuss the shape of the blade and the Grinds
    Discuss the sheath systems
    Discuss Coatings and such

Ultimately last year the knife offered was a true steal. Cut's like a laser, and for the price you could not go wrong.

take care bro and lets get together and make it happen eh.
    aj

p.s I do remember an old design of George that might be perfect for this. I will talk to him and see if he can bring it out from the past.
    Last edited by aj1985; 04-01-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Did this project die?

Damn shame, I'd love a re-issue of the last CPF knife.

a folder would be nice if this is still going....?

I believe the project has "died" for this year. Perhaps we can get enough interest (and consensus on what we want/ can afford) for 2010.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    Did this project die?
    Unfortunately, it's dead.

Damn shame, I'd love a re-issue of the last CPF knife.
    The last one was a limited edition project. George actually undercharged those of us who jumped in. A re-issue was never in the cards. It got as far as possibly two different knives for 2009. A folder, and a fixed blade neck knife. Both were to be similar overall designs, with the neck knife being less expensive. But that's as far as it got.

If you want one of the 2008 models, there's a list of those who bought them, over at the Official 2008 CPF knife thread. A couple of them have shown up at the MarketPlace. #27 was put up for sale. As for me, I'm never parting with my #8.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

We're back !!!!

A little update on the past several months. In June of this year George was nearly killed in a serious shop accident. (some of you may know this already but for those who haven't heard I'll make it the abridged version)
    Something he was polishing flew off the grinder at 40mph hit him in the chest, started an internal bleed we were unaware of until the following morning at which point he had bled out approx 50%. The first 4 days in the hospital they kept telling me he wouldn't survive. Day 5 things started to turn and day 7 after the announcement that they had given him a hospital infection I signed him out and nursed him back to health at home.

Our business was closed for 4 months. All the blood that filled his chest cavity and anywhere else it could go now has to be re-absorbed back into his system. A long uncomfortable process. He is 3/4 the way there, by Christmas should be all gone. And for the most part he is now fairly comfortable.

We are now back to work, no surgery, grateful to be alive and together working harder then ever.

During the time we were off we initiated some changes into our manufacturing process and now are able to do as much work in 3 hours as we used to in a full day. Three main changes, Bella no longer has full run of the shop - we used to spend at least 25% of our time chasing her down and retrieving whatever was in her mouth. I now work out in the shop full time doing all the grunt work if you will while George does the skilled technical stuff AND lastly, every night I make up a "To Do" list that is followed to the letter. It takes alot of time but saves serious time during the day. Simplistic but extremely beneficial.

So we are back, we're working, we've missed you folks, would LOVE to do another group order but that's if the interest is there. I'll have to read back and see if there is any interest. The last time I was on here I left it I believe that if you could get enough people together and were willing to pay market value we could start another project. There was even the option of two different knives running at the same time.

Look forward to hearing what you folks think about another CPKnife.
    We have a Vintage Style knife "Old Scout" that is running a special offer, it may be of interest to some of you for a project.

*Mammoth Killer*

Holy smoke I had no idea George had such a close call and good luck with his recovery. I have to say you sound like a very classy person bearing the brunt of the workload just to keep your passion for knives alive.....very hard work and something more people these days should strive to be like. I am sure George appreciates such a dedicated partner.

Maybe we can all find a way to make the best of this situation however it sounds as if you are off to a good start. Very nice to hear that George is recovering and that is what is most important here....of course a cool custom knife just for us goons here is always a close 2nd...
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

Wow, I had no idea that happened to George, I just assumed posts stopped because of disinterest.
    Very sorry to hear of his injury, and I'm glad he's recovering.

as for this project, I'd be interested in a folder.

Something new that George has recently shipped

Just to give you something to look at - this is a full size integral in Damasteel, however, run up in 1/8" Damasteel in a 3-4" blade - no handle, slightly different design. Might be of interest. Shot it in black and white because it showed the pattern better.

On our way out, will respond to Robo, and others when we get back,
    appreciate your kind thoughts. I've aged 10 years and George looks great

Cool Daddy Administrator

Thrilled to hear from you guys! Sorry to hear about George, but happy to hear that he's on the mend.
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Beer is finally cheaper than gas. Drink, don't drive.

Had no idea what had happened to George. Glad to hear that he's recovering.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Glad to here your feeling better, that sure is a beauty great work george.

Last edited by GLOCK18; 10-12-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Sorry to hear about George, but very glad that he is feeling better. Hope he is fully recovered soon.

Thankyou All for your kind thoughts.

George from all accounts is recovered. His endurance is a little less than it was but all in all he's great !!

It's been good hearing from all of you, we've missed you.

We're hunkering down getting ready for snow. I'm ready to leave the Country and find someplace nice and warm with NO SNOW.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by george tichbourne View Post
    Thankyou All for your kind thoughts.

George from all accounts is recovered. His endurance is a little less than it was but all in all he's great !!

It's been good hearing from all of you, we've missed you.

We're hunkering down getting ready for snow. I'm ready to leave the Country and find someplace nice and warm with NO SNOW.

C.
    Puerto Rico...

Well folks, as someone said a new knife project does not seem to be in the cards.

It was a blast working with you folks George and I truly enjoyed the experience.

As knifemaking is how we try and make our living we must keep moving to keep a roof over our heads .

Someone earlier indicated that this is in fact a flashlight forum and not a knife forum in which case that's where you will find us.

George has his own forum on Bladeforums - don't know if I'm allowed to say that or not. You can reach us there or by
    e-mail at sales@tichbourneknives.com

Take care of yourselves, George & I will miss you all