"2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Greetings All !! :)

The kids are back in school, everyone has had vacation and is back in work mode, Christmas is 3 months away, and George & I are sitting here waiting for the first snow of the season. :eek:

In the summer I started a thread regarding a 2009 knife project. My apologies, timing was wrong everyone had summer vacation and fun in the sun on their minds.

With a project like this it usually takes a while to settle on what folks are looking for. There were some ideas on the previous thread that sounded interesting.

This is the "official" thread ~ is anyone interested in a project for "2009" if so we need to hear some definite affirmations. Last year being a first the pricing was not accurate, actually is was low. Pricing for a future project would be in keeping with true market value.

To make the project worthwhile we would be looking for at least 40 if not more to proceed.

George & I will wait for posts to see if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Carol :)

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Carol & George,
1 vote for a folder with damascus blade and bolster and timber scales and an optional pocket clip. The clip should attach to damascus "bottom bolster" ie the end away from the blade ( You can see that I know a lot about knives):crackup:

tensixteen

Newly Enlightened
Hi George,
I think you might want to consider a folder this time, since we did a fixed blade for 2008.=) What do you guys think?

Cheers and Regards,
Nick

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think I'd be IN for a folder ... but as I have absolutely no clue about knives I can't contribute anything useful at all :D

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about something Automatic! similar to a microtech ??

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Griff,
I'm a bit anxious re an Automatic model since Customs don't like them coming into Australia (ditto many other Countries).

GLOCK18

Enlightened
How about a folder with the following - Titanium handle extremly thick,
5" blade integral lock, Recurve blade with high hollow grind S30V,
Blade thickness of .170.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Gentlemen I think we should establish very quickly here where the price level is going to start.

Our main stream folders start at $500 and go up. This is with 440C blade, titanium chasis, bolsters can be either 416S/S or titanium ~ the S/S being heavier the titanium being lighter. As an example both options change the pricing as would using Damascus for the bolster.

If you start changing the blade steel, price changes. Consider it as buying a car ~ everything you add that is not part of the normal package adds to the final price.

I'm only saying this now so that there is no question later on as to the pricing. Last year was a steal, this year in order to remain solvent and run as a proper business we have to charge market value.

For those of you who have purchased from us before or since the 2008 project ~ your bonus points are not eligible for use against this project.
A blanket discount will be factored into the final price and disclosed to all if/when this comes to fruition.

Our suggestion is that we go with an exotic steel (S30V) in a frame lock design, possibly anodizing the titanium frame blue - to coincide with the forum colours ~ no scales, no bolsters to keep the price. thickness and weight down. A 3"-4" blade length given that many jurisdictions limit blade length i.e. New York City. Price on this one would be approx $450-$500 - extras would be engraving the forum logo, shipping, etc. NOTE: Price is subject to change depending on the price of raw materials i.e. titanium and S30V at time of manufacturing.

This is just to give you an idea we have that could appeal to a wide spectrum of members. As last year we would require at least 40 orders, and as last year a deposit will be required on Visa or MasterCard.

To get the ball rolling George will draw a pattern of what he is talking about and we'll get it up this week. Our Wedding Anniversary (31years) is tomorrow so don't expect to see a drawing until later in the week ;)

The discussions can go from there:popcorn:

Cheers, Carol :):)

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I can tell you first hand the knifes Gerorge makes are top notch, he made

a Custom A1 CENTURY HUNTER in solid 440c stainless steel (248 Grams)for me, all I can say is :wow:it is a true GEM, the mirror polish is perfect.

Good Morning iTorch,

Check with some of the people who purchased from us last year. George has an excellent reputation and is known for his quality workmanship.

Cheers, Carol :)

1 what

Enlightened
I'm still interested. My metal-head fantasy follows:
3 inch folder.
Damascus blade with Ti frame, Ti bolsters and damascus scales
Pocket clip.
Hopefully "thin" and light for EDC.:).

J_Oei

Enlightened
I'd definitely interested in a Folder.
3" would be great.

What about an option to get the same number
that we did for the fixed blade? That way we
would have a matched set. Love the idea about
having it about the same color.

I have lots of high-end folders (Sebenzas, Lochsas,
XM-18s, etc) and bought the forum fixed-blade knife
last time just because it was from CPF and I got to
participate vicariously while it was being designed
and made. Would really like to participate again.

What about the debate about tip-up/tip-down carry?
I'm sure that will be a cause of debate. Some people
are quite adamant about it. I prefer tip-up, as most
of my knives are that way. You could do some sort
of XM-18 like design where it is reversible.

Status
Not open for further replies.