Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

  1. #1

    Default Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Hi All:

    I'm newish to this and am very tempted to buy some flashlights from Deal Extreme. I live in the USA and everything, i.e. credit cards, are US-based. So there's nothing unusual about shipping address versus billing address...etc.

    however, in trying to place an order as a gift (shipped to another country), i wanted to buy 2 flashlights to send to someone who lives, coincidently, very close to where Deal Extreme is, i found that it is not possible to use my Paypal account! i've only rarely used my Paypal for US-based purchases, i.e. ebay, etc. there is no possibility to add a non-US address to ship things to!

    i also noticed that even though Deal Extreme's check out says EXPLICITLY that they ONLY take Paypal, when you check out, there is a link if you wish to use your credit card! Huh? so do they only accept Paypal exclusively or not? i'm confused.

    i'm rather hesitant to give them my credit card information, as they have not replied to my requests for information (i asked them this question via a form on their site). on the other hand, they appear to be an upstanding, honest company/site, since so many have purchased from them.

    one final possibility is to order from them, have them ship the merchandise to me here in the US, then i will have to in turn ship to the foreign country via US Postal Service. this is a drag as i'll have to wrap/box/tape/fill out forms and pay shipping for shipping this gift.

    may i kindly ask what your experience has been with Deal Extreme? have you ever shipped items to someone else, in a different country, even though you yourself, the credit card holder, is in the USA?

    thx very much in advance!

    so confused by them!

    PS: i also tried calling them about 10 times last night, carefully timing the calls so i catch them during their listed open hours, and avoiding their "lunch break". each and every call was met with a recording that says that their phone is turned off!!

  2. #2
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,289

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    They are probably using paypal as their credit card handler, i.e. they do not see your card.

    I have only bought from the with paypal an only to me own address and it has worked fine, but the delivery times can be a bit long.

  3. #3
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    There is an option on DX to send the item as a gift to a non-billing address.

    To my knowledge, they only take PayPal.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    There is an option on DX to send the item as a gift to a non-billing address.

    To my knowledge, they only take PayPal.
    Hi Marduke: yes, they do have a "gift" option to a non-billing address, however, the "gift address" must include a state and a zip and the country must be USA. the person i wish to send the several flashlights to does not live in the US, though they live very close to Deal Extreme. the total amount is small, probably no more than $100 for 2-5 flashlights of various sorts, to be used as emergency and convenience items, not as a hobby.

    so i guess i'm stuck?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    DM51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Borg cube #51
    Posts
    13,341
    Resistance is futile...

  6. #6
    Flashaholic torpeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Left Coast of FL
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    No DX experience with sending a gift to another country, but my experience ordering twice was favorable using PayPal. One time I cancelled the order because of a long back order time and they refunded quickly to my PayPal account. The other time I received the merchandise quickly and without any problem.
    "The only time we see the middle of the road
    is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Even when I use PayPal, I always use my credit card. When PayPal says you are 100 percent protected, this apparent guarantee does not protect you against damaged, defective or even the wrong merchandise if you placed some kind of order with the merchant. I advise that you always use your credit card because disputing the charges with them may be your only option. I have never had to do this with DX or KD, but I have with Supertactical and another Ebay merchant based in Hong Kong.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    well, wow! thx for the various posts/answers/comments.

    i've been trying for several days now, after carefully perusing their site (there is so much stuff that it takes time to look through them and make my selection). after all this looking and picking, i have my "shopping cart".

    before i place my order, i thought that i'd call them - STILL no luck. the message i get is that the "phone is turned off"!! i must have called 20 times by now. this is surely not a good sign.

    i've also used their online form to write/email them. still, as of today, there is no answer. to be fair, they have tried to manage their customers' expectations by writing something like: "...it takes 2 to 14 days to receive a reply..." or similar. Huh? 14 days to send me a reply? wouldn't most of us expect our merchandise in 14 days, and not merely some emailed reply?

    while i really want to place order with them for various items, there appears to be red flags everywhere. i'm only speaking for myself, as there appears to be plenty of folks who had decent experiences with them.

    sigh...this isn't working out too well for me...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    I'll add my experience with DX.

    The first order arrived within 4 weeks (to USA), but was the wrong item. I sent them a message about it and got a reply within a day or two and they shipped out the correct item that I received in about 3 weeks.

    The second order was for 2 items. 1 item showed up in about 3 weeks with a note that the other was backordered. After several weeks I contacted them about the second item and it was received within 3 weeks of my contacting them.

    The third order arrived within 3-4 weeks and had everything I ordered.

    I also placed an order with KD a few weeks ago. I received a paypal receipt, but nothing from KD. In fact I can't create an account with them, and have gotten no reply to emails form "Jerry". Well, it was only $4.00, so not a big loss if it doesn't show up.

    You just have to be willing to wait a long time and do some follow up to get what you want.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DualMonitors View Post
    [...]
    sigh...this isn't working out too well for me...
    Then donīt do it ...

    You canīt compare DX with the typical US-based shop you may know ... DX has low prices and a really big assortment of stuff, but usually it takes quite a long time till you get your items and sometimes they are of low quality too. But that is the deal with DX, if you can live with that then donīt order there. Most of their items arenīt in stock and pulled together "just-in-time" from these countless chinese factories. That is the reason why the prices are relatively low and I guess that they donīt have many employees too.

    I ordered dozens of times there in the last year(s) and the few times I had to use their customer service, I was satisfied because the staff showed effort to solve the problem ... replys took usually 24-48 hours.

    Most of my orders are in the $10-$40-range so a total loss of an order wouldnīt be a real problem for me, because the benefits outweighs the risk.

    Kaidomain is different at least from my experience ... usually they donīt have a customer service at all ...

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    I have placed 7-8 orders with DX and thus far no problems what so ever (knock on wood). Items arrived 2-3 weeks after payment sent. I ALWAYS pay credit card through paypal, and ship it to my confirmed PP address (my home).

    If I were in your shoes I'd proceed this route and then just ship it to your friend. You can inspect the items for damage and poor quality too. It sounds too risky to entrust DX and their carriers to ship it to an unconfirmed PP address.

    I have very limited experience with international shipping though. The only time I sent a high $$ item over-seas it was to Sweeden. It cost $68 (IIRC) to get it there fastest way possible ensured with tracking number via UPS.

    Not sure what you are intending to buy, but by the time you add it all up and factor in any headaches along the way... it may be better to just buy similar items from a trusted domestic retailer and just send it.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* LukeA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    near Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    To be fair, there are thousands of unreported good experiences with DX and KD.

    That said, I would not feel comfortable using a credit card directly to buy from either of them.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* hyperloop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SINGAPORE
    Posts
    2,606

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    I live in Singapore and have ordered quite a few items from DX, i have my credit card linked to my paypal account (it isnt possible to link my paypal to a non-US based bank account) to make payments via paypal.

    Longest i have had to wait is 14 days from the date their status said "shipped" but so far no problems. Have gotten what I ordered with minimal defects.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I have placed 7-8 orders with DX and thus far no problems what so ever (knock on wood). Items arrived 2-3 weeks after payment sent. I ALWAYS pay credit card through paypal, and ship it to my confirmed PP address (my home).

    If I were in your shoes I'd proceed this route and then just ship it to your friend. You can inspect the items for damage and poor quality too. It sounds too risky to entrust DX and their carriers to ship it to an unconfirmed PP address.

    I have very limited experience with international shipping though. The only time I sent a high $$ item over-seas it was to Sweeden. It cost $68 (IIRC) to get it there fastest way possible ensured with tracking number via UPS.

    Not sure what you are intending to buy, but by the time you add it all up and factor in any headaches along the way... it may be better to just buy similar items from a trusted domestic retailer and just send it.
    "hyperloop:
    I live in Singapore and have ordered quite a few items from DX, i have my credit card linked to my paypal account (it isnt possible to link my paypal to a non-US based bank account) to make payments via paypal.

    Longest i have had to wait is 14 days from the date their status said "shipped" but so far no problems. Have gotten what I ordered with minimal defects."
    =================================

    thx to the comments.

    re: hyperloop's posting, may i ask if your credit card is a Singaporean credit card, or a US-based credit card? it doesn't work if you have a US-based credit card. it would not allow you to put a "ship to" address that is non-US, with no zip code, etc.

    re: kramer's posting, true, by the time all these issues are 'dealt with', or whatever one wishes to call it, the stomach acid induced is not worth it! just buy some $15 or $20 flashlights and put it in a box and ship it and be done with. all i was going to do was to buy several $10 to $20 flashlights for their use, either at night or in emergencies. it isn't "make or break" so it's not worth all this.

    i cannot believe that i have not heard one beep from them in roughly 4 or 5 days now, and after trying nightly (carefully calculating the time difference) calling them, probably by now, in excess of 20 times, each time getting a phone company recording announcing that the phone is "turned off", it is increasingly obvious that my way of "doing business" is incompatible with the demonstrated way of handling customers - at least so far. Unless, of course, it is some national holiday, which it isn't - checked already.

    i'm glad i've been using a US dealer of many brands who i really enjoy dealing with, and he's a real sport about many many aspects of doing business: cfrlights.com
    Last edited by DualMonitors; 10-04-2008 at 09:15 PM.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* hyperloop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SINGAPORE
    Posts
    2,606

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Dualmonitors: its a singapore credit card. Strange that you can't put a non-US address though. I wish that shipping wasn't so prohibitive though

    Prohibitive for other sites that is sometimes the shipping costs more than what i wanta buy
    Last edited by hyperloop; 10-05-2008 at 03:34 AM.

  16. #16
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    @Dualmonitors -You are wrong:
    All chinese companies have been closed because of the national holidays between 1-5 oct. It's actually their National day.
    http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/holidays.html
    Thats why you havn't gotten any answer from them.

    I have ordered several times from them with no problem what so ever.
    Last edited by CathastrophiX; 10-05-2008 at 04:18 AM.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperloop View Post
    [...] (it isnt possible to link my paypal to a non-US based bank account) to make payments via paypal.
    [...]
    In some countries it is possible ... I use PayPal with direct debit from my bank account here in Germany. I can live with that, because I can cancel a payment within 6 weeks too ... ok, if i do that I would have to deal with some threating letters from PayPal, but usually they are afraid of bringing that to trial, so who cares ...

  18. #18
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Another thing, don't even think in change an order already placed.
    I did this mistake and it was a big mess. I ordered one a 5 mode rebel 100 light but changed mind and wanted the 20 mode instead.
    Their Customer Service was contacted via web and asked if the change would be possible. After 3 days and a lot of insistence, I was contacted and told that I could do it after pay the difference in price.
    I paid it and waited. To my surprise after 15/20 days I received the 5 mode light instead the 20 mode.
    Another CS contact and waiting again. Their solution was to ship the wrong light to an address in California at my expense, which I did not agree.
    They after agreed to pay the shipping, but to make things easier I asked to stay with the 5 mode and I would be paying another price adjustment so they would send me the 20 mode asap.
    Everything was looking all set and I just asked then to ship me the new light asap, as I was waiting for about a month. Unfortunately seem like the process was even longer and I finally received the 20 mode light, after 2 months since I placed the first order.
    The 20 mode light also came with some bad contact problems but I did not even bother to contact then about it.

    They do have good prices and it worth if you lucky, but still a gamble and if something unusual happens, you better pray.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* tx101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,328

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    I have used DX on several occasions, I mostly had to wait, the longest being two months. This is the norm, if you do get lucky, maybe 2 weeks.
    Either way, what you pay for is what you get

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* Outdoors Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Land of Spiders
    Posts
    4,865

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DualMonitors View Post
    Hi All:

    I'm newish to this and am very tempted to buy some flashlights from Deal Extreme. I live in the USA and everything, i.e. credit cards, are US-based. So there's nothing unusual about shipping address versus billing address...etc.

    however, in trying to place an order as a gift (shipped to another country), i wanted to buy 2 flashlights to send to someone who lives, coincidently, very close to where Deal Extreme is, i found that it is not possible to use my Paypal account! i've only rarely used my Paypal for US-based purchases, i.e. ebay, etc. there is no possibility to add a non-US address to ship things to!

    i also noticed that even though Deal Extreme's check out says EXPLICITLY that they ONLY take Paypal, when you check out, there is a link if you wish to use your credit card! Huh? so do they only accept Paypal exclusively or not? i'm confused.

    i'm rather hesitant to give them my credit card information, as they have not replied to my requests for information (i asked them this question via a form on their site). on the other hand, they appear to be an upstanding, honest company/site, since so many have purchased from them.

    one final possibility is to order from them, have them ship the merchandise to me here in the US, then i will have to in turn ship to the foreign country via US Postal Service. this is a drag as i'll have to wrap/box/tape/fill out forms and pay shipping for shipping this gift.

    may i kindly ask what your experience has been with Deal Extreme? have you ever shipped items to someone else, in a different country, even though you yourself, the credit card holder, is in the USA?

    thx very much in advance!

    so confused by them!

    PS: i also tried calling them about 10 times last night, carefully timing the calls so i catch them during their listed open hours, and avoiding their "lunch break". each and every call was met with a recording that says that their phone is turned off!!
    Why bother dealing with DX (Personally, I'd not deal them even if my life depended on it), when you can buy brand new Inovas at low discounted prices from Battery Junction. Fill a bag with them and ship it to your friend.

    Check it out:

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inxledfl.html

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inbose.html

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inmi.html

  21. #21
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,289

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    Why bother dealing with DX
    They have lots of flashlight parts and other stuff.

    Your do not pay a fortune for shipping (It is probably more interesting for people living outside US, shipping from US is way more expensive than DX).

    I have bought a lot of stuff from them and believe that they are ok to deal with (As long as your can accept slow deliveries). But I do not use them when I want good quality flashlights (Some of their expensive flashlights are probably fine, but many of the cheap ones are cheap ).

  22. #22
    Flashaholic Templar223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    I have had nothing but positive experiences dealing with DX. Unless they've fallen into the toilet these last few months, I'm not sure what's up.

    I will say that some of the stuff they have is junk and you need to thoroughly research your purchases ahead of time.

    Their Sure-Fire drop-ins are excellent and their batteries do just fine. Some of their flashlights are okay, others really suck.

    But at those prices, I can get some cool Christmas gifts at less than a king's ransom.

    John

  23. #23
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by CathastrophiX View Post
    @Dualmonitors -You are wrong:
    All chinese companies have been closed because of the national holidays between 1-5 oct. It's actually their National day.
    http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/holidays.html
    Thats why you havn't gotten any answer from them.

    I have ordered several times from them with no problem what so ever.
    YES it's their national day which is a major holiday in China, and don't expect any one to be work for at least one week. It's like Christmas in USA.

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* LukeA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    near Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsia View Post
    YES it's their national day which is a major holiday in China, and don't expect any one to be work for at least one week. It's like Christmas in USA.
    And they take three weeks off for their new year.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Made about 4 orders through DX. The quality of products is not always high but the shipping and packing is fine.

    And I too wanted to change an order -- but instead of trying to make a change I simply canceled the order and started a new one with the changes. No problems. Keep things as simple as you can for customer service folks and you'll usually be fine.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Made In Canada
    Posts
    499

    Default Re: Deal Extreme Experience? Credit Card vs Paypal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DualMonitors View Post
    i cannot believe that i have not heard one beep from them in roughly 4 or 5 days now, and after trying nightly (carefully calculating the time difference) calling them, probably by now, in excess of 20 times, each time getting a phone company recording announcing that the phone is "turned off", it is increasingly obvious that my way of "doing business" is incompatible with the demonstrated way of handling customers - at least so far. Unless, of course, it is some national holiday, which it isn't - checked already.
    Where did you check about Holidays over there as do you spend any time on the DX forums?. Tiffany posted a thread about the upcoming "Chinese National Day Holiday Schedule" where she mentions "The Chinese National Day (October 1st, 2008) is around the corner. Because DX will be observing the holiday as required by law, warehouse and customer service will be temporarily unavailable from October 1st, 2008 to October 3rd, 2008 (3 days). Our offices will fully reopen on October 4th, 2008 at 9am HKT." and other members there mentioned the Holiday on the DX forum whenever people could not get a hold of DX staff or such. But of course you know now that now with the few other earlier posts about the Holiday. Also they do not work on their weekends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    Why bother dealing with DX (Personally, I'd not deal them even if my life depended on it), when you can buy brand new Inovas at low discounted prices from Battery Junction. Fill a bag with them and ship it to your friend.

    Check it out:

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inxledfl.html

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inbose.html

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/inmi.html
    Not my first choice of lights for the price and then to add shipping to Canada on top. While Inova is a good brand, the Microlights may still be unreliable due to static? as others have reported and also have one myself from June 2006 that is affected.
    Last edited by Flashfirstask?later; 10-06-2008 at 10:04 PM.

  27. #27
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Everett WA
    Posts
    16

    Default Question about deal extreme

    The two items I've ordered from deal extreme have come registered mail and I had to pick them up at the PO. This does not work for me, I need them delivered to the mailbox or door step with none of this signature required business. One of the main reasons I use mail order is for convenience. My PO is way out of my way and very time consuming.

    Is there another option I can select at checkout that will allow the product to be delivered to my door without signature required? I'm not overly concerned with the time it takes for delivery, but this business of having to go to the PO and/or sign for the package is unacceptable to me.

    Thanks

  28. #28
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: Question about deal extreme

    The only package I ever had to sign for was because I used EMS express shipping, and it was a big package.

    All the other small packages were just left in the mailbox, using standard free shipping.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic AyeMayanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Question about deal extreme

    NM, see post #5.
    Last edited by AyeMayanor; 10-07-2008 at 02:33 PM.

  30. #30
    *Flashaholic* kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: Question about deal extreme

    Its really strange, I have had some DX shipments dropped into my mailbox... and majority of others I had to sign for at the PO? I never specifically requested it one way or the other. I just used the default one. So I think in my case it was a bone headed USPS carrier placing it in my mailbox.

    I take the bus to work so my schedule is not ideal either. I am at work the same hours as the PO (9-5:30). My local post office opens its doors around 7:00 AM, there is a pickup window where I can sign for & pick up packages before business hours.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •