Batteries for SF M6

Chuck289

Enlightened
I just acquired a SF M6. All I have is the MN20 bulb. Right now I have Battery Station 123s and Ravovac 123s. I've read that the MN21 can draw about 2.5amps and this can be problem for some brands of cells. Should I be as concerned about what cells to use with the MN20, or should I only worry about using higher quality cells with the MN21?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Although higher quality cells are more important with the MN21 it's good to use cells which have a good track record. You definitely don't want to use Battery station cells that were made in china. The blue ones with the yellow top line have cause many explosions and small fires. If you have those cells it would be best to discard them. Apparently the newest cells available from BS are safe although I haven't used them since initial problems with the old style were reported.

DM51

Flashaholic
This is primarily a battery question, so I'm going to move it to the Batteries section.

The SF M6 is a light that is particularly demanding on cells and it is important to use only high-quality ones, or there could be a risk of a venting incident or explosion, as Patriot36 says.

It is also worth mentioning that if such an incident occurs and the light is damaged, the SF warranty will be voided if non-SF brand cells have been used.

For rechargeable alternatives for the M6, take a look at the thread linked in my sigline.

BSBG

Enlightened
It is also worth mentioning that if such an incident occurs and the light is damaged, the SF warranty will be voided if non-SF brand cells have been used.

This is reason enough for me to run only Surefire 123s in my M6s when I run primaries. If there is an issue, SF will take care of the whole thing. Most of the major battery manufacturers will back their product and replace the light, but I'd rather not verify that ;).

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chuck,

The M6 was developed using Duracell CR123 cells. When SureFire came out with their own name brand, they switched over to using the SureFire brand cells.

The draw from this light during a full run taxes cells to the maximum. If you use your light for longer runs, I would recommend sticking to Duracell or SureFire cells. If you use your light only in 10 - 15 second bursts, your options would expand a little to other premium, high quality, cells.

Tom