PK Design Lab

Thread: Anybody Twitter?

Default Anybody Twitter?

After installing "Twinkle" on my iPhone I got into this whole Twitter thing. For those who aren't familiar with Twitter (Twitter.com), it's basically a way to post mini-blogs, known as tweats. Like "I'm eating McDonalds." or "Out for an evening walk with my Fenix TK10."

With the iPhone there are many apps, Twinkle, Twitterific, etc, that let you post tweats, and read tweats from people you are following. I like Twinkle because it shows tweats from people nearby, based on the distance you pick (I go with 50 miles). You can choose to follow people and people can follow you. This may sound creepy to some that are the private type.

So I was wondering if anyone else does this? If you would like to follow me I'm http://twitter.com/WadeNG

Feel free to follow me, send me a tweat so I can follow you, etc. Feel free to post your twitter names here if you got one. I'll try to send out some tweats from the up coming PF11 event at Milky's house. My fellow Twitter friends may wonder what I'm doing posting about a bunch of guys playing with flashlights.

UPDATE:

I'm going to list CPF Twitter names for those who'd like to be listed. I'll start with dealers. If you'd like me to add your name to the list, let me know.

4sevens - http://twitter.com/4sevens
    BugOutGearUSA - http://twitter.com/BugOutGearUSA
    Novatac - http://twitter.com/novatac
    Lummi - http://twitter.com/LummiRob

WadeF - http://twitter.com/wadefulp & http://twitter.com/flashlightguy
    Last edited by WadeF; 04-23-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Updating Twitter list
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Default Re: Anybody Twitter?

Oh Wade.... Don't you have enough e-stalkers already?

I'd join in, but don't have an iphone.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

nope. after myspace, this is my 2nd most hated abortion of a website. both great concepts, both have tons of potential, and both are a terribly implemented POS.

i would love to see the power of "tweats"
    be truly leveraged for emergency, news, traffic, disaster or other critical communications and warning systems where information has to be up-to-the-second. millions of eyes looking for and reporting things can be very powerful if done right. there are definitely cases where early twitter reports come in well before any news appears within the mass media. but instead they are released with an open-ended goal and full power in the hands of the masses. and the masses of course spew up useless garbage. well, i guess they are pilots and will hopefully lead to better things... maybe im just a silicon valley elitist. im glad the connections are being made, i just wish they could be shaped in a more meaningful and useful way.

no offense to the site or you, theres always grey areas and exceptions to the rules, and theres millions (?) of twitter users that probably disagree with me...

sorry im hung over and cranky and just REALLY HATE twitter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Oh Wade.... Don't you have enough e-stalkers already?

I'd join in, but don't have an iphone.
    You can tweat from twitter.com. You don't need an iPhone at all. You can follow me, I could follow you, etc. The iphone just lets you tweat on the go, and check on other peoples' tweats.

As for e-stalkers, I figure if someone wants to stalk me or come get me I'm not exposing myself anymore than I already am by using Twitter, Twinkle, etc.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    You can tweat from twitter.com. You don't need an iPhone at all. You can follow me, I could follow you, etc. The iphone just lets you tweat on the go, and check on other peoples' tweats.

I might just give it a try in that case. I guess you could follow me if you wanted to. But I'm mainly at work when not logged on to CPF or NewGrounds.

I never said I was the most interesting SOB on the planet.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Just set up my twitter account, Wade.

Now I can stalk.... er, I mean follow, yeah that's it; "follow" you from the comfort of my room.

Who knows, this might be fun.

Hey look, I talked about Twitter back in October and now everyone is doing it. :P I hear Oprah is going to get on and send her first Tweet live on her show or something.

So have more people gotten on Twitter since I posted this?

Hey look, I talked about Twitter back in October and now everyone is doing it. :P I hear Oprah is going to get on and send her first Tweet live on her show or something.

Looks like you got in on the ground floor of the latest trend.

Even whole websites are twittering.

Yes, I just started Twittering and am following a couple of my Facebook friends. At this stage, it still feels somewhat redundant to updating your statuses on FB, but I can see why it's so popular.

Gary
    "Iím a DHCP server at a local restaurant. This chick came up and asked me for my address, and I told her she was out of my scope."

I guess I can't see why I'd want to be instantly and constantly notified on what my friends are doing or vice versa. Of course, I remember first hearing about the internet on my way home from work one evening and thinking, "why would you want your computer to communicate with someone else's computer?

Flashaholic*

Isn't that where the British got the word "twit" in the first place or am I being unkind?

I admit that I've seen a few rare useful purposes for it, but "I'm out getting a coffee" ain't close to being one of 'em. What, people can no longer actually talk to each other at all?
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Many people who thought Twitter was silly have become addicted to it. :P Yeah, posting "I'm getting a coffee" is pretty silly, but when you hear back from people in your town that say "Hey, I was there that day." or "Hey, were you at such and such a place? I recognized you from your Twitter." it's kinda fun.

It's more useful for companies, bands, comedians, etc, who want to keep in touch with their fans or customers and update them about upcoming events, etc. By using Twitter you can follow these types of people or companies if you have an interest in receiving their updates as well as sending them feedback. For example Novatac is on Twitter.

Ahh, I can see it now. Not only are people shaving, eating a quarter pounder, drinking a coffee, and TRYING to drive their also writing a tweet on their phone saying "Hey everybody im on the way to work shaving, eating a quarter pounder, and drinking a coffee!"

This whole idea seems kinda creepy to me but Myspace has even become pretty scarry since the addition of the "Status" feature... now do I really need to know your about to take a shower and your girlfriend is getting her nails done?

I've always been pretty net and tech savvy, but for the life of me I see little value to the "average joe" bothering with this application. It is simply an online version of the continuous cell phone verbal diarrhea addiction. There's only so much drivel I want to hear or read, and 99.99% of it is just that.

IMHO, it is mostly all a lame attempt for people to assuage feeling more empty and isolated as the technological access to communication increases. It springs from a basic human need to feel that we belong, and matter to others. In reality, noone gives a crap if you are half way through you fries and think this McDonald's drive through is faster than the one on Monroe Street.

The beauty of Twitter is you can follow, or not follow, the people on there. Over 1.2 million people must find it interesting to follow Ashton Kutcher on Twitter, http://twitter.com/aplusk.

Personally I could care less about him, but I do enjoy following Opie, Anthony, and Jim Norton from the Opie and Anthony radio show. They tweet pictures when they have something interesting going on in studio, or if they're doing something outside of the show. Since I'm a fan of the show I enjoy seeing what they are up to.

Some people are followers, some people are there to be followed, and some are there for a little of both. It certainly isn't for everyone.

For example I will probably tweet pictures from the next Photon Fest, so for those who can't make it they can follow along if they follow me on Twitter if they feel so inclined. I'm up to about 330 followers, so I might post something like "Getting on XBL to play GOW2 if anyone is interested." and low and behold some people will pop up who saw that and join in with me.

However I can see how it might not be fun if you don't have anyone following you, but the user base has been exploding lately. People may get it just so they can follow a celebrity, or send feedback into a news anchor on CNN, etc. You can use it for a variety of things.

I do agree though that technology is replacing personal contact. Many people these days would rather get or send a text message that talk to someone on the phone for example.

Racine, WI, USA, Earth, Orion Spur, Milky Way

Me- I don't think I'll ever twitter. I never say "never", though.

Not only do I not give a damn what my friends are doing at any given moment.. I don't think anybody would care what I'm doing at any given moment. The same goes for celeb-following - I don't care what my favorite actor/actress is doing. If I'm at the point of worrying about that, it means I should do some more walking, bicycling, or this thing called cleaning. I prefer the walking, myself.
    Which - now that it's warming outside, I should be doing more of anyways! I just gotta get my lazy butt up and doing it.

Sorry, but I even hate the TERM 'twitter' - it just sounds so 'effin gay. -- And I don't even have a problem with people that are gay! I'm actually FOR allowing gay marriage! But that term 'twitter' kinda gets my blood boiling for some reason. It's soooo gay sounding that even gay people should have a problem with it!

I hope the term 'twitter' dies a quick, horrible death.

But who knows but time itself - it might become a term like 'surfing' the Internet, in which I originally hated but have become used to.
    I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Last edited by Hoggy; 04-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    List of budget lights removed to improve search functionality. Darn - I was just getting started.
    LED's - the ONLY way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy View Post
    Sorry, but I even hate the TERM 'twitter' - it just sounds so 'effin gay. -- And I don't even have a problem with people that are gay! I'm actually FOR allowing gay marriage! But that term 'twitter' kinda gets my blood boiling for some reason. It's soooo gay sounding that even gay people should have a problem with it!

I hope the term 'twitter' dies a quick, horrible death.
    OMG, that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!!

I thought the same thing about the term google which sounded like "gurgle" or "gargle" before you spit.

I twitter, but I think you already knew that Wade..
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

I can't seem to figure out why my phone is not receiving updates via text messages even though I have it turned on. I have the iphone. Any ideas?

p.s. Our site is now on twitter

Regards,
    Flavio
    BugoutGearUSA.com

The more I hear about this twitter, the less sense it makes.

This video on the subject is entertaining...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2HAroA12w

@KG2V
    73 de KG2V
    My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com/
    Hompage: http://www.thegallos.com
    You are what you do when it counts - The Masso

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolBeans View Post
    The more I hear about this twitter, the less sense it makes.

This video on the subject is entertaining...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2HAroA12w
    Yeah, Twitter makes about as much sense as a forum full of people talking about flashlights. :P Let's not forget all the fun topics on CPF like, what are you listening to (or watching), show your EDC, interesting video finds, show your food, etc. These types of topics where we share what we're up to with each other isn't much different than Twitter.

Funny video.
    Last edited by WadeF; 04-23-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerboy View Post
    Yes, I just started Twittering and am following a couple of my Facebook friends. At this stage, it still feels somewhat redundant to updating your statuses on FB, but I can see why it's so popular.

Gary

There's actually a facebook twitter app that makes your FB status show your latest twitter update... So it basically allows you to update your FB status via text message...

I use twitter, but dont send out a tweet for everything I do... And I have found something useful within the twitter realm. A stream that sends me updates on call outs for emergency services in my area. Very useful for someone like me who sometimes sells photos to the local paper...
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Flashaholic

I keep hearing about it through the podcasts I listen to, but I don't own a mobile phone and even if I did have an account, nobody would be interested.

Just tuned into twitter. Name is LummiRob.
    Interesting to see what some of our customers are up to.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

The spammers aren't twittering ?

If anyone is on Twitter, it can be fun to search for "flashlight" to see what people are up to with their flashlights. Almost all of them are non-flashaholics.

Tonight I came across this tweet that made me chuckle, I wonder if this person is on CPF:

"I have a roommate that sleeps cuddled up to a tactical knife and flashlight... Glad I'm only in combat school for a few more weeks! ;-)"

Another thing you'll come across all the time when doing this search is this old joke:

"A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries"

Uhg. :P