Supbeam Light

Thread: Milky Room Sweeper

Hybrid View

Default Milky Room Sweeper

First, if this is in the wrong place, please move it. Thanks.

I had an old E2E that never got used. Just sat there on the shelf as the standard bulb just hasn't done it for me for quite a long time.
    I wanted a light for clearing rooms i.e. I wanted a light to use when going into felons homes and making sure no one else was there when we (my team) conducted a search. The light I wanted needed considerable flood as I did not want to be sweeping the light. If there is a threat present, I need to see it immediately with my peripheral vision. The light did not need to have an extended runtime, as clearing a house is generally done quite quickly. Moving fast, and with a sidearm out, larger lights just were not an option I wanted to entertain.
    Enter Milkyspit.
    I told Scott what I needed and shipped him my E2E. In a very short amount of time, he produced the perfect light for me… the Milky Room Sweeper.
    It runs on a single 17670 battery and is a direct drive P7. He modified the reflector, so there is large spot, and lots and lots of glorious spill. He made a few other modifications in order to make it more reliable if jostled or dropped.
    Here it is next to Longman and Shorty for comparison

Just look at that emitter! Estimated 650 lumens out the front!

Here is a beamshot in my office. You can see the spot, but it lights up every corner of the room with the spill. I will try to get some outside beamshots in the next few days. It is absolutely incredible. I had a SF M6, and I think this is putting out more light for longer, and isn't burning up 6 CR123 batteries to do it, and it is so much smaller.

The work Scott did was incredible, and he is an extremely nice guy to talk with and knows his subject matter.
    I can definitely see more projects going to Milkyspit. He makes tools we can use.

Hogo.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 10-06-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: Milky Room Sweeper

How much for the mod?

$155 and worth every penny!

I don't know why, but when I saw those photos with the little faces on the lights, the music from the TV show Cops started running through my mind "Bad boys, bad boys. Watchya gonna do? Watchya gonna do when they come for you?..."

Very nice mod. It's amazing, all the compact packages that different people are putting the P7 into these days. Shhhh, don't say too many negative things about the M6. "They" don't like to hear such talk.

Scott just did a Creemator for me. On one RCR123 the light is incredible. Comparable to my 2 cell E2DL. I love the UI.

If you need custom work / mod's done, Scott is hard to beat.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Wow now thats a nice looking surefire, hmmmm I think I need another P7 Mod

whoah! sweet torch!

Ooo Re: Milky Room Sweeper

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    $155 and worth every penny!
    That's a sweet price!

Best I could do with my E2E was slap on an LED Q5 conversion head from OpticsHQ. Ended up with a sweet combination of throw and sidespill.... and a mismatched head, in terms of andonizing. I'm sure your Milky-modded E2E would put mine to shame.

I had planned to get a black E2E and a KX2C head for it. But considering the cost of the head alone, I'd be better off getting a black E2E and then having Milky work his magic. (I'm assuming the $155 does not include the cost of an E2E).
    Last edited by Monocrom; 10-06-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Unfortunate typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I'd like to know how much TIME you have invested in this mod.
    From initial call or email to delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    I'd like to know how much TIME you have invested in this mod.
    From initial call or email to delivery.

Well dang, looks like I'm going to be getting another Milky build. That is sweet!

ETA: What kind of run time does it have?
    Last edited by coyote223; 10-06-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Surefire M2/M60, 6Z/M60LL, G2/M60F, 6P, E2E, Nightcore NDI, Nightcore Extreme, Fenix TK11, LOD. Milky L1, Milky L2, Milky CREEmator, Milky RoomSweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote223 View Post
    Considering the output on one 17670, I'm guessing about 3 minutes?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

How hot does it get?
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Quote Originally Posted by coyote223 View Post

Ooh... I can answer THAT! A fresh 17670 ought to give roughly 30 minutes runtime... it will begin as bright as 750-800 lumens or so... gradually taper down to 650 or so lumens... and in the final 3-4 minutes drop steadily from there. Remember, the goal with this particular build was that initial brightness even if it came at the cost of gradual dimming over time.

The heatsinking internally is a large brass slug designed as a single piece, pedestal and all (no points of transition where heat could get bottlenecked) that's fit snugly from sides as well as top against the aluminum of the head itself, for optimal thermal transfer. The module is also clipped in place so it's removable for service should it ever need it, but cannot fall out while changing the batteries.
    --Scott

MilkyMilky

Going through and clearing a house never takes more than 2-3 minutes max, so 30 minutes runtime is more than adequate. Even if an "issue" should arrise, I always have a backup light. Remember, the SF P61 only goes 20 minutes on two batteries, and even the MN21 is only 20 minutes in the M6. And this is free lumens and so darn many of them!

Honestly, I don't exactly know how long it took Milky. I wasn't keeping track. I talked with him, sent off the E2E, and pretty much forgot about it. I didn't care how long it took, as long as it worked when finished. My guesstimate would be about 3-4 weeks or so. Never rush an artist.

A bodyshop I use has a sign:
    You can have it
    Fast
    Cheap
    Good
    Pick any two.

You can tell by looking at the LED and the inside of the head, that this was not something he "slapped together". He spent some time on this I'm sure. The quality is exceptional.

I did not notice any bounce back into my face either. I think because of the floody beam. It just lights the entire room. With some luck, will be able to give it a real world test Tuesday or Wednesday. There is someone out there who shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 10-06-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Oh man. I want my E2E to get this mod. Nice work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    The work Scott did was incredible, and he is an extremely nice guy to talk with and knows his subject matter.
    I can definitely see more projects going to Milkyspit. He makes tools we can use.

Hogo.
    +1

Crenshaw

Milky your PM box is full.

Nice job on the Room Sweeper!

The question I had for Milky, which I bet one of you know anyway, is if anyone has posted beamshots of an L1 Milky modded light vs. a stock L1 Cree?

And to the OP of this thread, is there any chance you could do either an outside beamshot of the Room Sweeper and/or compare it to something well known?

Quote Originally Posted by Wattnot View Post
    Milky your PM box is full.

Nice job on the Room Sweeper!

The question I had for Milky, which I bet one of you know anyway, is if anyone has posted beamshots of an L1 Milky modded light vs. a stock L1 Cree?

And to the OP of this thread, is there any chance you could do either an outside beamshot of the Room Sweeper and/or compare it to something well known?

I've got some photos which I'll post in this thread ASAP. Not sure if I have any of the stock L1 Cree, but I do have comparisons with a couple other lights so people at least can get the general idea of how this one might differ from something they already know.
    --Scott

building one for yourself?...wow!...

by the way, ive been accumalating differnt body's for it...i have one of the last Maxalite AA bodys sold at TnC, and i also have a Nitecore Extreme on the way.....ought to be interesting...and AWs are rated up to 2C discharge right? worth a shot...

anyway, sorry for OT...

@wattnot, i think its hard, because once you've gone milky, its unlikley you buy another L1 without the expressed purpose of having it shiped directly to him for work. I did consider getting an L1 for this purpose, but then theres always the question of what to do with it after.What might work, is if someone using a camera on manual, takes a picture with as little ambient light as possible, and a specific arpeture and shutter, i would be up for recreating those conditions with my Legolas...

Crenshaw

Room Sweeper Photos

Tried to capture a realistic look at how the Room Sweeper beam compares with a more typical flashlight beam, especially for something somewhat along the lines of the customer's intended purpose. (In truth I probably don't understand the intended application fully, so these are based on my best assumptions at the moment!)

The Light Itself

First, a handful of photos showing the Room Sweeper itself from various vantage points.

Room Sweeper Label

Closeup of Side of Head with Label

Business End!

The P7 Emitter Mounted Inside E2E Head

Closeup of P7 Emitter

Beam Profiles

The beam has a soft hotspot coupled with unusually wide sidespill, these attributes deliberately chosen for maximized coverage of a typical room in a house when illuminated from the room's doorway. At the same time, goal with the hotspot is to deliver enough range to illuminate targets at the far end of the room while not causing significant glare for the user.

Beam Profile #1: Note how beam converges a little distance beyond the head of the light

Beam Profile #2: Note the wide angle of sidespill

Room Sweeper vs. Novatac 120p

Lots of people are familiar with the Novatac 120p, so it was a natural choice in comparison beamshots... its balanced beam also serves as a good representation of a "normal" flashlight's coverage profile, at least IMHO.

The goal isn't to make the Nova120 look bad! Rather, it's to show what a good quality general-purpose flashlight would look like in the same situations for which the Room Sweeper was designed.

The Room Sweeper tends to overwhelm the 120p in sheer output... the difference gets compounded as one moves to the edge of each image, where the 120p leaves shadows that could conceal a bad guy, delaying recognition... the Room Sweeper tends to eliminate the shadows for faster identification.

Novatac 120p (left) vs. Room Sweeper (right)

Room Sweeper vs. Creemator

The Creemator is one of my more popular builds and delivers a significantly brighter beam than the Nova120, with hotspot far more intense than that of the Room Sweeper. Again, the goal is to show how a Creemator would look in the situations for which the Room Sweeper was designed. This particular Creemator has a Cree R2WC emitter for a rated max output of 322 lumens, and has a custom-cut McR19 reflector for more sidespill than the usual build at the cost of somewhat less throw.

In general, note how the Creemator delivers lots more light to the area inside the hotspot, but light intensity falls off far more quickly when moving to the sides... the Room Sweeper has more even coverage of the room. If one knew where the bad guy was hiding, the Creemator might make a great tactical choice... but going into a room blind, so to speak, the Room Sweeper probably allows one to locate the bad guy wherever he is in the room more quickly, without regard to exactly where in the room the hotspot was pointed.

Creemator (left) vs. Room Sweeper (right)

--Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    +1

Crenshaw

Crenshaw, I still love your Legolas build... the parts to get it done cost a fair bit but what a nice finished product. Eventually I'm probably going to build one for myself, too!

Thanks for the kind words; they're much appreciated.

(Sorry to wander off-topic, Hogo.)
    --Scott