Olight
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Post your bicycle pics

Default Re: Post your bicycle pics

Richie, I watched your youtube vid...very cool rig! That thing has got everything on it. Now all you need is a mount for some of your HIDs.

I'm afraid that if I had owned one I'd be doing super slaloms in vacant parking lots, handlebars crossed up and lifting the front wheel out of the corners. I have a bit of a speed addition on anything that moves.

Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    The front light is a Light & Motion Seca 700, which uses six Rebel emitters with a custom reflector (upper row for throw, lower row for close-in flood). In the rear, it uses the DiNotte 140 as the primary taillight, with a Planet Bike SuperFlash on the rear rack as backup, and two Trek bar-plug taillights to give me visible width. I often use helmet lights too (SuperFlash rear, and one of my flashlights in the front).

My winter commuter would give your 'bent a run for its money in the weight department
    The L&M Seca 700 is pretty impressive, and pretty pricey! It's probably overkill for a on-the-road commute like mine. A hub dynamo driving two XR-E's works surprisingly well for my commute. Of course, it won't melt the snow on the road in front of me like the L&M Seca appears to do. ;-)

I've drug my road bike/commuter thru the snow using Avocet Cross tires, but not through that much snow! Yikes! Are those studded Nokians on the bike? Ought to do pretty well, but it's just never easy getting a bike to move through a few inches of heavy snow. Or would a Surly Pugsley do the job?

Anyway, thanks for the picture and the description.

Steve K in Illinois,
    where heavy rains and flooding canceled the bike commute today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post

I've drug my road bike/commuter thru the snow.
    I would have to be on drugs to bike in snow like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post

My winter commuter would give your 'bent a run for its money in the weight department

This is my favorite picture in the whole thread. This is a manly picture dude! Being from AZ, I can't imagine riding in that so you get a "warrior" badge from me....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    This is my favorite picture in the whole thread. This is a manly picture dude! Being from AZ, I can't imagine riding in that so you get a "warrior" badge from me....lol.

My suspicion is that this is the spot where Mech got tired of pushing the bike through the snow, and got a ride from the next snowplow that came along. The photo was just so he could remember where he left the bike. :-)

My experience is that it's tough riding through this sort of stuff. If the snow isn't too thick to ride through, then the ice ruts caused by the cars keep shoving your wheels left and right trying to knock you over. A big PITA, for the most part.

I do love, however, riding in fresh snow of an inch or so, where cars haven't been yet. Our here in the Illinois hinterlands, I can ride the back roads where it is silent and the moon lights up the countryside. Very cool!

in any case, congrats to Mech for being to tough (or dumb) to quit!

regards,
    Steve K.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    in any case, congrats to Mech for being to tough (or dumb) to quit!
    I resemble that remark! YouTube video of a similar commute. Obviously I have no dependents. This is not the sort of riding I recommend to people who are needed alive. The riding does get quite tricky due to the rutted snow and other unpredictable aspects. Oh, and yes they're Nokian studded tires, great on ice, and average in snow compared to other heavily-treaded tires.
    Last edited by mechBgon; 03-11-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Nice video, Nice light setup, but considering the trafic and conditions they are needed. Too bad we don't get snow like that in the UK I would get more use out of my Nikias...

Ifor

MechBgon, great video work considering there's a lot to think about between the conditions and traffic. I smiled through the whole thing. I've only ridden on snow (far less that what you were in) one time while on a bicycle and it was hairy without tire studs.

I noticed some clear plastic or something down around your bars toward the end of the video. I figured that it was either some make shift water proofing for your lights or equipment or perhaps just something around your hands to keep them dry...?

Thanks for posting that for us.

I noticed some clear plastic or something down around your bars toward the end of the video. I figured that it was either some make shift water proofing for your lights or equipment or perhaps just something around your hands to keep them dry...?
    That's correct, they were some makeshift "pogies" (hand covers) I was trying out. They were a bit clumsy, but it was bitter cold at the time, and they were worth some hassle.

Snow...brrr. You are one heck of a biker.

I did my loop to the beach and even though it was cloudy, there were a couple gals in bikini's.
    Mike

I went Mountain Biking at the Santa Monica Mountains, Westridge Trail in California today. It was around 59 degrees F.

Quote Originally Posted by ernsanada View Post
    I went Mountain Biking at the Santa Monica Mountains, Westridge Trail in California today. It was around 59 degrees F.

I'll bet that kind of weather was hard to deal with huh? It probably wasn't very scenic either... Seriously, it looks like fun. Nice ride too. I've always liked Specialized

I'll bet that kind of weather was hard to deal with huh? It probably wasn't very scenic either... Seriously, it looks like fun. Nice ride too. I've always liked Specialized
    Here's some of the "scenic views".

Looking towards San Fernando Valley, CA. Taken from Mulholland Drive.

Looking towards San Fernando Valley, CA.

I rode up to the Old Missle Tower.

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Had some shoulderpains lately when riding, so I turned my roadbike into a fast tourer...

As I also use it for my daily commute, so to improve reliability I got rid of the front derailleur setup and swapped the triple crank for a single. I don't need 27 speed anyway, as this country is flatter than a pancake and less parts on the bike = less parts to break...
    Last edited by Coop; 03-17-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Very cool! The high stem and mary bars should give your shoulder some recovery time.

I've had this bike since 1992. It's a Specialized Stumpjumper M2. It has some flaws, and has been abused, but still serves me fine:

Obsolete components:

Bell doesn't work:

Elastomer shocks fully compressed. No travel.

Component label covered to prevent coveting:

Bike light mount is missing a screw:

An alien protects the front wheel:

Another guards the rear:

She's a good ride:
    Last edited by greenlight; 03-17-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Ol'e reliable right Greenlight!

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Very cool! The high stem and mary bars should give your shoulder some recovery time.
    I rode it to work this morning, It's fast, it's smooth, yes aerodynamics are a bit different, but the more upright position does make breathing a little easier and at my regular cruising speed that more than compensates for the loss of aerodynamics.
    I still need to fiddle with the handlebar vs saddle position, because the current position kinda limits blood flow to certain parts of the male anatomy. Not much more than a slight discomfort while riding, but once I get off my bike the blood rushes to those parts and you get a massive hard... well, you get the picture...
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Springtime bump =)

Picked up this 20 year old bike last week, original owner was moving and had it sitting outside in a backyard snowbank all winter. Basically it was your average old bike: Paint was faded and covered in dirty grime, wheels were stained with rust from the forks and steel handlebars but hiding underneath it all was a solid ride!

Miele was a Toronto brand from the 80's that were brazed locally, from the tubing sticker and components it seems like a mid-level 'sporty' model (vs Columbus SL on the high end Miele racers from that era). Cleaned everything up myself, including polishing up all the rusty chrome bolts, new tubes, tires, pads, cables, and tape. Ditched the BioPace for some spare aluminum ones and slapped on new pedals with an old MTB saddle.

Rides and looks like new again, it's going to be a present for a close friend

Last edited by mosport; 04-13-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Nice work. Lots of nice vintage bikes to be found...you got one.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    I really must look funny in my spandex riding gear however I am actually getting much more comfortable with each ride. This sport really humbled me as I am easily bested by much smaller riders.

I was an athlete in school (1987) and always seemed to dominate in any sport I tried. State champion for 2 years (wrestling) made me feel like superman....Always very strong in the gym lifting weights....well then I discovered road bike riding. I really thought I would hit the road and quickly be able to keep up with any rider around. Holy smoke was I wrong about that one.

I have recently done 70 miles with maybe an 18 mph average and this was my best ride thus far. The going up hills kill me due to the added bulk but I can fly downhill...

I quickly learned I am indeed an amateur and man was I shocked when the 125 lb guys beat me by at least 7 miles in maybe a 20 mile ride. I still very much enjoy the sport however will never be "competitive" in this sport even if I really tried. I like it best as it keeps me in shape without killing my knees from running.
    Robocop ive just recently gotten into mountain biking and im no slouch in the muscle or size department (also nowhere near as built as you lol) but me and another buddy met a couple (young lady and her completly built SO) and they hit a 6 mile black diamond trail about 15 min before we started down it and funny thing was we all got to the end at about the same time and the guy looked like he was about to faint. My friend (a very knowledgeable guy and all of 140 pounds) informed me that the more muscle you have the harder your heart has to work to feed it all with blood to the constricted vessels (I think thats what he said, I may be wrong) therefore an awesome cardio workout such as biking may not allways mean the strongest guys has the advantage.

Well my first bike was at the age of 2 and before I hit 3 I had bent my training wheels all the way up but since I dont have any pic's of my old huffy's and such we will start with my first love, ahem, I mean my first real bike, A 1998 GT performer (SUN BFR's and a little brake work but thats about it, the Kenda Kutlas's were a very late addition after my stunting days were over)

Now my next bike which ive had for a little over a year is geared towards a different type of racing and tricks...

Lol and here is my newest addition and my bike that brought me back to the world of vehicles and sports that dont consume gas. Its a 07 Diamondback Response Comp, Avid brakes and levers, Marazoochi III front end, got a good deal on it from a friend.
    Last edited by gsxrac; 04-14-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Flashaholic*

I'm having trouble finding any pictures.. but the bike I used to ride (I outgrew it about 10 or 12 years ago..) was a GT Little Timber with training wheels.(I have a problem with my balance,which is why I had training wheels at age 15.) Here's the most embarrassing part: it was pink.Yes,bright Barbie-doll pink. It was a 6-speed bike.(Even though I'm a guy,I got teased mercilessly about having a "girls' bike"-simply because my bike was pink.)

Flashaholic*

I don't have any pictures of it but does it show my age if I say that I got my first ten speed in '64? (Holy Crap! That was 45 years ago!)
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

*Mammoth Killer*

gsxrac believe me when I say I have learned the hard way that my frame is not the best for this sport....the thinner riders beat me by miles however I still enjoy the ride none the less.

I am not sure if it is the fact that my body requires more oxygen or just simple gravity however those hills still kill me. What goes up must come down and while my added muscle weight slows me going up I fly like a cruise missile going down....(49mph is my best so far)

The best part thus far for me is that this month I have actually paid off the bike which set me back about $1100.00 for the bike and $300 on accessories. With it paid for now it seems as if I can enjoy riding a little more however I am already wanting to upgrade....maybe next year.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

Thanks RA40!

Bikes are way overpriced here in Toronto, last summer's oil prices caused an explosion of urban riders and the 2 summers before that it was the hipster fixed gear boom making road bikes scarce. Amazing how old steel keeps appearing from people's basements and it's always great to see bikes return to the streets

Derek

Anyone hitting the streets now that the weather is warming up? Here in AZ, this it typically the time when a lot of people stop riding. I rode Saturday with a small group and it was pushing 100 degrees pretty early in the day. On the slow, long, single track climbs it seemed that I had sweat running into my eye constantly. I should have taken some pics of the trail but somehow forgot I had a small camera stuffed in my pack. We did about 16 miles and I emptied my 100oz hydration pack and almost finished sucking down my water bottle. I can't imagine what it's going to be like in another two months.....

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Anyone hitting the streets now that the weather is warming up?

I've been riding everyday (except for maybe 1 or 2 rainy days) since may 1st.
    Over the last week and a half I've been pushing myself hard.
    Done about 130 miles since last wednesday.

Got hit on my Cannondale last summer and just bought a new rim and have been back at it.
    I had been riding my old Klein Mantra for a while until my new rim came in.
    While it is lighter than my Cannondale, the Lefty is so much easier and MUCH more pleasant to ride.

I really need to find some new places to ride, I've been doing a lot of the same for too long and need new scenery and challenges.
    I also need new shoes. I absolutely love clip-ins. I can't imagine riding without them.

I also mounted my P7 modded KT1 on my bars along with a modified X200 that accepts different E-series heads.
    A "Fatty" SW01 with a McC2S switch is used so I can run the P7-KT1 on low so I'll be seen and use high for when I'm on a dark stretch.
    The plug-in XT tailcap on the X200 is used with an SR07 preassure/constant-On switch mounted to the bars.
    The X200 sports a KL4 with a P7 for when I need some flood.
    My taillight was made using a DD L2 head with red filter on a single cell body with a tailcap that I modified with a cable and preasure switch as a brake light.
    A rod welded to a washer was installed on the rear caliper. That presses on the pressure switch when the brake lever is pulled to activate the brake light.

Well off to sleep for a few hours so I can get out there and ride as much as possible during the nice weather this week.

Been craving a streetbike, but am holding off till later this summer.
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Cannondale Bad Boy 8, with a few visibility upgrades. Alfine 8 speed internal + hydraulic discs:

Reflective (normal lighting)

Reflective (light hitting it)
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 05-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.

I'm getting a little lazy in my old age. My knees don't like too much pedaling load so I'm going to buy a full suspension mtn bike and make it electric with some hi-power electric components. My little titanium SEVEN shown in this thread is in the Marketplace.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

My rides..

2009 Santa Cruz Superlight.

2002 Colnago Dream Lux.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-23-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    47 Preon Ti. ITP A3 SS, Zebralight SC51 Neutral, Fenix LD25, E11, HL30 & PD32UE, Gerber IU, Jetbeam PC10, Nitecore SRT 5 & EA4, Thrunite Archer 2A, Sunwayman V11R & D40A, Ayup MTB Light.