Post your bicycle pics

Patriot

Flashaholic
I thought it would be fun to start a discussion based on everyone's bike photos.

My bike story starts at six years old but turned more serious when got into road racing at the age of 12. I raced steady for about 10 years and after that got back into the mountain biking. 15 years later I'm still enjoying the mountain biking as much as ever and ride 4 or 5 times a week. I was fortunate enough to meet up with a group of Wednesday riders who enjoy riding remote trails at night time which goes along closely with the flashlight hobby.

The first two pictures are of my latest Voodoo build which I set up as a rigid 1x9. The front ring is a 32 and the cassette is a Dura-ace 12-27. It's a 29er or (29" wheeled bike) which I'm completely sold on now to the point that I don't even ride 26ers (the standard since the inception of mtn bikes) anymore. I've been riding 29ers for about a year now and love them. Some of the other parts are a Sram XO derailleur with XO grip shift, Truvativ bar, stem and crank. Bontrager X-lite wheel set with tubeless Jones ACX tires. The brakes are cable actuated Avid BB7's with Avid levers. The bike weighs in at just a hair over 21 lbs. The reason behind building this bike is because I had an extra set of good quality wheels and I wanted to see what kind of a bike I could build on a $1200 budget. All of my parts were purchased on ebay or other discount sources and I ended up with a nice machine for what was spent. This bike sees the brunt of my off roading now including my night rides.

VoodooAizanBuild025.jpg

VoodooAizanBuild024.jpg

The next is my pride and joy Gary Fisher Superfly which I've had about a year now. It's also a 29er of coarse and the only stock components on it are the headset, Avid Ultimate brake levers & calipers. There isn't any steel on the bike other that a few ball bearings and everthing else has been exchanged for ti or alluminum in the case of non-stressed parts. The bike currently weighs in at 19.81 lbs which is very light for a 29er with front suspension and the lightest Superfly in existence to my knowledge.

Superfly91408005-1-1.jpg

Superfly91408010-1.jpg

Superfly91408002-1.jpg

Superfly91408009-1.jpg

Superfly2-16-08011b-1.jpg

Superfly2-16-08004b-1.jpg

Finally is my Trek 7000 rigid. It still gets ridden occasionally but the small wheels and stretched out frame feels funny.
Trek8500002.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Damn, Patriot, you really fired the big money gun at that G.F.
Nice rides BTW.

No pic of mine but it's a Spot 26'' rigid S.S. and it's a lot of fun to ride :).

Cool! The Spot is a great bike and I've always liked them.

The Superfly was just one of those things that worked out perfectly. I knew they were about to be released and on a whim I called the not so local store who was expecting them. They got the first one in AZ 15 minutes before I called, which just also happened to be my size and I bought it that same day. Since my brother used to work at that store and was also sponsored by them I was extended a wonderful family deal on it and the owner really went out of his way to take care of me. I didn't pay anything close to what they're retailing for now after a sucessful lauch and a 2009 $1200 price increase! I keep saying it was meant to be.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been riding since i was a kid, growing up in Santa Cruz county sure didn't hurt my cycling addiciton. These days I'm in graduate school but they keep me somewhat entertained. All of these bikes I built from ground up with cheap, sometimes 2nd hand parts. so they costed me a fraction of what it would run me from showroom floors.

05 Bullit, last batch to be made in Santa Cruz:
100_1182.jpg

my 6-inch singe speed squishy bike:
100_1762.jpg

and my single speed Chameleon.
P2103913.jpg

life is good. it's still better than crack...

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Thanks to the help of many friends here I am the owner of a new LeMond Tourmalet 53cm double. I really have taken to the sport and thanks to all who helped me out. Photos are not the best quality and my picture program would only let me clear them up a small amount....love the black and white color scheme of this bike.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Thanks to the help of many friends here I am the owner of a new LeMond Tourmalet 53cm double. I really have taken to the sport and thanks to all who helped me out. Photos are not the best quality and my picture program would only let me clear them up a small amount....love the black and white color scheme of this bike.

remind me not to ever **** you off youre like solid muscle dude

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Robocop!!!!!!!

I cant see your bike with your huge guns in the way. :D

I shore wouldn't want to mess with you mate.:)

nice bike pics,

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I really must look funny in my spandex riding gear however I am actually getting much more comfortable with each ride. This sport really humbled me as I am easily bested by much smaller riders.

I was an athlete in school (1987) and always seemed to dominate in any sport I tried. State champion for 2 years (wrestling) made me feel like superman....Always very strong in the gym lifting weights....well then I discovered road bike riding. I really thought I would hit the road and quickly be able to keep up with any rider around. Holy smoke was I wrong about that one.

I have recently done 70 miles with maybe an 18 mph average and this was my best ride thus far. The going up hills kill me due to the added bulk but I can fly downhill...:crackup:

I quickly learned I am indeed an amateur and man was I shocked when the 125 lb guys beat me by at least 7 miles in maybe a 20 mile ride. I still very much enjoy the sport however will never be "competitive" in this sport even if I really tried. I like it best as it keeps me in shape without killing my knees from running.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quickly learned I am indeed an amateur and man was I shocked when the 125 lb guys beat me by at least 7 miles in maybe a 20 mile ride. I still very much enjoy the sport however will never be "competitive" in this sport even if I really tried. I like it best as it keeps me in shape without killing my knees from running.

hi Robocop,

hey, you need to try track racing! Some of the events are very short and emphasize brief sprints as well as sneaky tactics. Some of these guys look like power lifters, especially in the legs.

One of the great track riders in recent US history was Nelson Vails. I saw him at a ride in Colorado, and his legs were bigger than my waist! There's a lot of info on the web about him, such as this:
http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/nelsonvails.html

Going back to bike pictures, I've been working on a homemade headlight built with Cree XR-E LEDs for my new-ish Bacchetta recumbent. It's powered by a Schmidt hub dynamo, and is a big improvement over the lights that were available 5 years ago or so. I wanted to see how visible the light was, so I took this short video:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2dax40g&s=4

enjoy,
Steve

SnWnMe

Enlightened
My Singlespeed. I got me a cheap Raleigh and installed a Surly Singulator on it. My rear wheel has a flip flop hub. I have 18T and 16T cogs on it so I can pick my gearing based on the climbs expected. I also use a BMX chain so it never snaps.

jolenebig.jpg

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a recent bike buy:

Kuota Kharma: Ultegra 6600 components

Kuota.jpg

Right after the fitting, going out for a test ride:

kuota101.jpg

Vitus 979 with Shimano 600EX, my short errand bike.

vts02.jpg

Not pictured is a well aged Fisher HKII MTB.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Cool pics gents!!

IMHO some of the best athletes are wrestlers. More than just about any other sport it requires complete control of EVERY muscle, joint, ligament in the body. It involves principles of mass-leverage and finite positioning. I played tennis and volleyball through high school and college, and Some of the guys I played volleyball with were high school wrestlers... their coordination and natural athletic abilities were unbelievable.

Heres my Fisher hoo-koo-e-koo. I've pounded the snot out of this thing and it just keeps on going. Its Chromoly, which is my preference over Al on the trails. Forks have been upgraded to Marzocchi since this pic. I dont have time to ride anymore with two little kids but I really enjoyed the sport for half a decade.

dscn0236jy5.jpg

dscn0235jh2.jpg

dscn0234ba4.jpg

Me and some friends goofing around, at my favorite park, Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz.... just an awesome place to ride.
biketrip1yb8.jpg

Me on the right coaching some newer riders. My wife on the far left. I snapped a chain on this ride LOL!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice bikes everyone. I love seeing these rides!

270, I take it you do a lot of down hill or is it just really heavy free ride?
Too bad about Santa Cruz going taiwan now but I guess that's a sign of the times. And hey....isn't building bikes just flat out fun! I love tracking down discount parts and watching the bike slowing come into being. :)

Robo, nice Lemond. That's nothing but pure class and I'll bet you got a good deal on it since there is so much legal stuff going on with Greg and Trek.

Cycling is an amazing sport and I know you'll get stronger and enjoy it more and more. Once your techniques are honed, you would make a great track rider because of your strength and build. You're built a lot like an track sprinter from about 15 years ago named Nelson Vails, who was quite successful. I met him several times.

SnWnMe
Great Sycip! People in the know understand that those are great bikes. There fairly popular on Mtbr too. I think there is a Sycip thread over there.
I like your single speed but I think I'd twist that crank right off the bike..lol. I'm kind of a sprinter and very hard on cranks. I already ruined a top of the line carbon bontrager and an older Shimano LX. Plus I hate flex in a crank...just one of my bicycle pet peeves. :) Also it's cool that you've got a nice gal to go riding with you! :cool:

RA40
Thank you sir. As you can tell, I'm a pure Cross country guy and love climbing. The steeper and longer the better.
I like your road rides. The new Kuota is slick and the Vitus brings back some crazy racing memories for me. It was light back then but I refered to them as noodles because of the frame flex and high speed head shake! Still, I wish I still had mine for sentimental reasons. Great pics!

Kramer
I dig the hoo-koo. When I saw the pics I though to myself, "I'll bet he'd enjoy a better fork." Turns out that you took care of that already. Steel is real man and it will never die because of its unique ride qualities. I'll bet it's a very plush riding hard tail.

Keep 'em coming you guys! :)

Last edited: