Fitorch        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don's "Garage Sales"??

Default Don's "Garage Sales"??

I've seen various posts throughout CPF where someone shows a pic of a light they apparently 'picked up' at one of Don's Garage Sales and was wondering what they meant by that. Is this a tongue-in-cheek expression that I'm not catching onto? Or does Don actually have a garage sale where his one-off prototypes are sold or raffled off for charity or something? I'm sure there's a good chance that Don probably keeps most of his protos to himself. I'd ordinarily ask this question to Don himself, but I know that he's an extremely busy guy and I'm sure that there's plenty of members here who would enlighten me without having to take up his time.

When and if my budget permits, I may be interested in owning one of Don's protos.

Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Default Re: Don's "Garage Sales"??

Great thanks for the link, I always wondered where the M4x4x2 ended up. Looks like LEDZep got it.

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

There was also another one... jeez, where is that thread.

EDIT: Gotcha! One of a Kind Auction: (Maui fund)

I keep hoping another one of these garage sales will take place....
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Hi guys,
    I am trying to keep my head above water with a large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here and taking a lot more time than anticipated. There is also a SunDrop 3 Speed wave starting to form.

Beyond this, I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above. I would need to get with Greta (aka Sasha) and find out what type of a auction might be permitted as well as viable.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system for the house here on Maui and I know that it is going to cut deep into my savings investments (if they have any present market value! ) and a library of lights sale could help me here. The monthly electric bill is getting out of hand and the solar system will presumably knock it back to within reason or at least that is the expectation. I was told that our electricity is made from burning coal and diesel fuel which arrives to the island on freighters. Duh! No surprise the cost has gone up and yet we have plenty of sunshine here that is untapped.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it. There are a few new prototypes I want to visit and haven't been able to do so. Clearing the drawers out will provide room and motivation to move forward with some new ideas or so I hope.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic*

Sorry Don,

But I couldn't pay attention to anything after
    Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here
    Good luck getting everything squared away...you know we'll all be waiting with baited breath for the announcement of the wave and the garage sale.

Garage sale ... good
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I looked at the previous 'garage sale' final bid prices, and it looks like I may be fortunate enough to own a one-off McGizmo after all, if the timing is right. I'm glad there's members who are generous enough with their time to keep track of all the bids, because at first glance, I was a bit confused by the process. Anxious to see what goes up on the block.

Lightbulb Re: Don's "Garage Sales"??

The solar water heater contractors seem to have their hands full with the federal tax credit ending in Dec. Thought about doing PV here in Kauai but the electric company here will only pay what they call a "wholesale" price for what you feed back. Their explanation is that they are charging you to be your "battery". Good Luck on your solar projects

Don have you considderd a wind powered generator? They come in all sizes and with the winds on the islands this may present you with a good source of power generation even when overcast or dark.

these guys
    http://www.bergey.com/
    have 10kw units which I suspect would pay for them selves over time. I know that in CA the electric CO buys unused power and people who have installed solar and wind generators love watching the meters run backwards.
    Yaesumofo

Hi guys,
    I am trying to keep my head above water with a large wave of LunaSol 20's that is building up here and taking a lot more time than anticipated. There is also a SunDrop 3 Speed wave starting to form.

Beyond this, I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above. I would need to get with Greta (aka Sasha) and find out what type of a auction might be permitted as well as viable.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system for the house here on Maui and I know that it is going to cut deep into my savings investments (if they have any present market value! ) and a library of lights sale could help me here. The monthly electric bill is getting out of hand and the solar system will presumably knock it back to within reason or at least that is the expectation. I was told that our electricity is made from burning coal and diesel fuel which arrives to the island on freighters. Duh! No surprise the cost has gone up and yet we have plenty of sunshine here that is untapped.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it. There are a few new prototypes I want to visit and haven't been able to do so. Clearing the drawers out will provide room and motivation to move forward with some new ideas or so I hope.
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Starfiretoo,
    I understand that the new bill has passed and no the incentive is to wait and be billed next year.

Yaesumofo,
    I doubt that either the neighbors or the birds would appreciate a wind generator.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Lightbulb Re: Don's "Garage Sales"??

Thanks for the good news. Searched internet and said 10/3/08 bill passed to extend 30% tax credit out 8 more years. Our electric company is a co-op and they have extended a no interest loan on a new solar water heater for 5 years. Helps the extended families who all live in one house.

Starfiretoo,
    I understand that the new bill has passed and no the incentive is to wait and be billed next year.

I do have some drawers that are getting crowded with some one offs and special lights that I would like to offer up in some manner similar to the two threads referenced above.

I am waiting on a quote for a solar (water and PV) system....it is going to cut deep into my savings investments....and a library of lights sale could help me here.

So, there is a plan and intent of another "garage sale". I get inquires all the time for a custom light or mod and I just don't have the time or energy to consider it.

How do you spell procrastination?

I opened a couple drawers today and peeked inside because I really do want to figure out how to get some (most) of these lights out of my drawers and hopefully into service or at least someone else's collection!

I will try to get it together this weekend and figure out how to proceed...

Damm ... and I am low on budget
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Don,take all the time you need island style

How do you spell procrastination?

I opened a couple drawers today and peeked inside because I really do want to figure out how to get some (most) of these lights out of my drawers and hopefully into service or at least someone else's collection!

I will try to get it together this weekend and figure out how to proceed...

90 degree ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Damm ... and I am low on budget
    +1.... but I still want to see what's hiding in the drawers
    My backpack's... got jets

Wow, just saw this. It will be interesting to see what becomes available.

Don, what eventually happened with the solar setup?

Flashaholic

Tag!

Subscribed!

double post.. doh

I liked the garage sales back when there was less competition haha. This should be a fun one, I look forward to seeing what surfaces.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Paulr,
    The solar system is installed and for most of this year, I have been generating electricity in excess of my usage. The plan is someday to have an EV that dips into the present surplus.

As lavalight has suggested, I have put this off "island style" and even now, I find myself wanting to design and proto a new idea that may have little merit instead of taking the time to open the drawers and catalog the ideas of yesterday and yesteryear and offer them up for new and needed "seed" money.

The time has come for me to get it together. The longer I wait, the less I will know about what it is that I am offering!

sorry.. cant help it

I have started the process for the first auction which will be limited to some ti lights. There are two threads now but both locked until I can finish them. Depending on how well this auction goes and energy level and tide and other things, I also want to have a second auction based on some of my lights in aluminum as well as lights made or built by others. I do have some components I could offer up as well but these auctions are really a drain on time and energy!! I am not complaining as much as simply sniveling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast