Best choice for a light with little spill

Weylan

Enlightened
I am looking for a $30 light. So Kaidomains or dealextreme is fine.
I am looking for an 18650 light for runtime.
I am looking for a High/low.
I am looking for all throw and very little spill.

Recommendations?
My neighbor is a plumber and needs to look 30-50ft away in crawl spaces and does not want to crawl into those icky areas if he does not have to. So a light that can "reach" out and see those far away connections is important. But sometimes there is a ton of insulated aluminum (think very reflective ducting) close and so lights that have a lot of spill, backsplash light into your face and you can't see far away. A VB 16 works well for most conditions (Guess how he got one of these. grin), but still has too much side spill for those times he needs to look way down there.

Who knows of a light from Kaidomains or deal extreme I can get him? He helps out at my house and we work together so I work out giving him lights in trade for work done. $30 is fine, but he does loose them because they get left and people walk off with lights unattended. Don't ask me why they are left unatteneded, I don't know... He has dropped one or 2 down a sewage hole and there is no retrieving some of them too.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a $30 light. So Kaidomains or dealextreme is fine.
I am looking for an 18650 light for runtime.
I am looking for a High/low.
I am looking for all throw and very little spill.

Recommendations?
My neighbor is a plumber and needs to look 30-50ft away in crawl spaces and does not want to crawl into those icky areas if he does not have to. So a light that can "reach" out and see those far away connections is important. But sometimes there is a ton of insulated aluminum (think very reflective ducting) close and so lights that have a lot of spill, backsplash light into your face and you can't see far away. A VB 16 works well for most conditions (Guess how he got one of these. grin), but still has too much side spill for those times he needs to look way down there.

Who knows of a light from Kaidomains or deal extreme I can get him? He helps out at my house and we work together so I work out giving him lights in trade for work done. $30 is fine, but he does loose them because they get left and people walk off with lights unattended. Don't ask me why they are left unatteneded, I don't know... He has dropped one or 2 down a sewage hole and there is no retrieving some of them too.
Inova X1 - first generation.

1dash1

Enlightened
Weylan:

Sounds like you're looking for an aspheric. Not sure which is the tightest throwing aspheric.

My MagLed w/aspheric throws a tight bore, but is beyond your stated price range. (Besides, the unprotected lens is unsuitable for the work described.)

My X2000 (18650 version) fits your budget and is what I would consider a "throw away" light. Very bright and relatively cheap. Not the greatest build quality, but sounds like what you're looking for. It has virtually no spill.

P.S. Each of the above is focusable, so the beam can be de-focused into a wide flood.

mktech

Newly Enlightened
Are you familiar with the Task Force 3w from lowes or the professional's favorite 3w from advance auto parts. I have the AAP light and its very focused, the total beam width is about a third the width of a fenix l2d q5. Its plenty bright and runs well on 2c cell. The Task Force is $30 and the AAP is $20.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you familiar with the Task Force 3w from lowes or the professional's favorite 3w from advance auto parts. I have the AAP light and its very focused, the total beam width is about a third the width of a fenix l2d q5. Its plenty bright and runs well on 2c cell. The Task Force is $30 and the AAP is $20.

There is a new version of this light that uses a Cree LED. It should be available at Lowe's with "60X brighter" on the label.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend against the lowes 2C. Due to it's use of an optic rather than reflector, it's got one of the best spill patterns I've seen, which would certainly cause the dazzle you want to avoid.

Have you thought about sticking an old toilet roll over the bezel (or similar) to block out the spill?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's a plumber, I'm sure it's gonna be black pvc :laughing:

But I'd say the Wf-600 if you can get the led it's gonna do great

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, look for a flashlight with an optic instead of reflector, especially one that can be focused.

radu1976

Enlightened
Get X2000 from DX . Many versions - 18650 or CR123 or RCR123.
Pure throw when focusable.
Decent money 20-23$. You can choose even a multilevel version.

roymail

Enlightened
One thing about getting the light at Lowe's, if there's a problem your friend can return it and get a replacement... hard to do with DX, etc.

The Task Force 2C has good throw.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Tiablo A8 or A9. Throws like a pin and has a high and low. Recent sales had the A9 selling at an incredible $55.

And it's "sewage proof" to boot!! :crackup:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X1 - first generation.

Yes, but that might not be bright enough for 30-50 feet.

The idea seems to me to be the right one -
a spot type light using optics/lens - with virtually no side-spill.

Not sure if Target still has them -

River Rock 1.5w 2C

River Rock 1.5w 2AA

(links to reviews with comparison beamshots)
they had been on various sales/closeouts(?)

RR15w2Csz.jpg
RR15w2Chd.jpg

Just as reference -

Inova X1 Spot - White

where there is a direct comparison beamshot with the River Rock 2AA spot.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have not seen the RR-2-C or the RR-2AA,in some time but have spotted the 1-AA cell at Target, its has a fish eye lens if I remember right.

Patriot

Flashaholic
All the lights with an optic really minimize spill light and tend to throw everything straight forward. I can vouch for the River Rock lights as either of them are nearly absent of spill and available at Target.

Personally I don't think the old school Inova X1 is bright enough. It's probably only 5-10 lumens.

Last edited: