Phoenix Electroforms

Thread: Surefire M2 M3-style

Wink2 Surefire M2 M3-style

While I was thinking about getting a M3 head + Leef C/M adaptor to put it on a C2/M2/L5 body (I already scrapped the idea in the meantime) I modified the picture of a stock M3 to a 2 cell light. I guess it is still a tad too long to have the proper length for a two cell light but Id say youll get the idea anyway.

I have to say Id like the M2 much better if it would basicly be a 2-cell M3:

Eric

Default Re: Surefire M2 M3-style

Nice job on the photoshop Eric!!

To each his own I suppose, but I actually like the M3 just the way it is. I like the back-cut body for mounting to a firearm, and the length is just perfect IMO. I agree it may be just a tad too long for a typical cigar hold, but other than that, I think it's the ideal size for night walk carry.

Flashaholic

Would a Z2 body coupled with a M2 head work? The combat ring on the body of an Z2 looks similar to that of an M3.

(I don't have one and am not sure if M2 is C-threaded or not. I suppose I just found out from this thread that the M2 head is C-sized?)

With Aloha,

Clarence

Quote Originally Posted by cl0123 View Post
    Would a Z2 body coupled with a M2 head work? The combat ring on the body of an Z2 looks similar to that of an M3.

(I don't have one and am not sure if M2 is C-threaded or not. I suppose I just found out from this thread that the M2 head is C-sized?)

With Aloha,

Clarence
    The M2 and C2 heads are interchangeable, only difference being that the M2 is shock-isolated and has heatsink ridges (?) or rings or whatever they're called. An M2 head would mount on a Z2 body just fine, not quite sure why you'd want to though.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have an M2 to try, and my Z2 is actually a G2Z.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post
    An M2 head would mount on a Z2 body just fine, not quite sure why you'd want to though.
    Maybe in some remote kinda way that the M2 head resembles what the OP is visualizing? Then, why not just get an M2 to enjoy that compact incan head on a 2-cell body? I think I am getting dizzy running around trying to bite my own tail.

I think I saw an M2 being offered on the CPFMarketPlace. Hope it's not too late.

With Aloha,

Clarence

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/M2_large.jpg
    Last edited by Size15's; 10-10-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Hotlinking images without permission from the host is against CPF rules

I have to agree that an M2 bezel on a Z2 body would be a better setup. As it stands currently, the M2 is basically a C2 body with the M2 bezel. (I could be wrong about that, but that's what it looks like to me)...

I've always thought it was interesting that the M3 and M3T follow that Z series grip ring concept, while the M2 seems to pull from the C2, while the M4 seems to be more plain bodied, like the 6P/9P but in HA and longer.

Maybe they should "reinvent" the M2, and slit it into 3 separate lines.

M2Z (z body style)
    M2C (C body style)
    M2T (Z body with Z46 bezel)

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    Maybe they should "reinvent" the M2, and split it into 3 separate lines.

M2Z (z body style)
    M2C (C body style)
    M2T (Z body with Z46 bezel)
    +1, I've wanted a Z2-HA natural for the longest time, and I still can't believe that it's not a SF product offering

here we go:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric242 View Post
    While I was thinking about getting a M3 head + Leef C/M adaptor to put it on a C2/M2/L5 body (I already scrapped the idea in the meantime)

What lamp and batteries would you run in such a machine since the M3 head uses 9 volt M series lamps?

with the currently available lamps on the market, the only option would be to run a MN10 and 2x3.7V RCR123s.

with the currently available lamps on the market, the only option would be to run a MN10 and 2x3.7V RCR123s.

lol....hmm, yeah. I wonder if Eric242 had considered the lack up options..

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Eric242 View Post
    While I was thinking about getting a M3 head + Leef C/M adaptor to put it on a C2/M2/L5 body (I already scrapped the idea in the meantime) I modified the picture of a stock M3 to a 2 cell light. I guess it is still a tad too long to have the proper length for a two cell light but Id say youll get the idea anyway.

I have to say Id like the M2 much better if it would basicly be a 2-cell M3:

Eric

I have a China flashlight which have M3's style but using 18650, C head C tail, is it similar to what you want?

Why not just stick to the M2 rather than than a Z46 (M3 bezel) and a suitable body for it, unless OP wants to use MN type bulbs then the only way is the Z46.

A Leef M/C 1 x18650 would be a better choice here to partner the Z46 and probably an SW02 or SW01 at the tailend..
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Guys, first of all this thread is not about the M3, the M3 is fine as it is. It is also not about a setup I would like to run instead of the M2 or the M3.

The modified M3 picture was just for fun because I would like the M2 much better if it would look like the M3 from its outer appereance - the style of its head and body. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    lol....hmm, yeah. I wonder if Eric242 had considered the lack up options..
    Theres always another option. The bulb/batterie option mdocod mentioned would have been the way to go until the M3 head (or maby a KL2) would have been modded with LED(s), a nice MilkyMod for example.

But the idea is long history anyway and this thread was intended for fun only -would you like the M2 to look like the M3- and not to come up with Surefire lego setup possebilities I could use instead. Maybe my initial post wasnt really clear about this.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric242; 10-09-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Flashaholic*

I think an M3 head on a M2/C2 body (with adapter) would look pretty cool. I run a P90 on 2xrcr123s, so running an MN10 wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
    List of lights removed to allow the search engine to work

Here you go. M2 w/ M3 styling. Last generation though haha.

Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

These look pretty coll Solscud007. But what I like about the M3 body compared to the M2/C2/L5 body is that it is round, has the rubber rings as well as knurling and is HAIII natural. A combination you dont see on Surefirte 2 cell bodies, at least Im not aware of any. I know the Z2 and so on, but they just dont compare to the M3 body. Its just small details but they can a have big impact sometimes.

Eric

I've always thought it was interesting that the M3 and M3T follow that Z series grip ring concept, while the M2 seems to pull from the C2, while the M4 seems to be more plain bodied, like the 6P/9P but in HA and longer.
    SureFire experimented with the M2 featuring the same bezel as the M3 but it was felt that the bezel was too large for the M2 body.
    To make a bezel like the M3 bezel but smaller (more in keeping with the two-SF123A form) would mean a flashlight that is not modular - SureFire did not want to go down that route.

The M2 was originally what the C2 is now. The M2 gained it's shock isolated bezel and the C2 (with the standard bezel) was created along side it.

Why does the M2 have the 'Clip & Grip' body rather than the pure CombatGrip body of the Z2?
    - I understand that users wanting 'Tactical Lights' used dedicated holsters for the M3. It's a reasonable large flashlight. One of the reasons not to carry an M3 but to select a smaller flashlight is so that it can be easily carried without requiring a dedicated holster. Thus the clip giving more options and retaining the ability to more quickly access and draw the flashlight compared to one kicking about at the bottom of a pocket.

Why is the M4 straight-bodied rather than featuring the CombatGrip?
    - SureFire used to offer a CombatGrip version and a Straight-bodied version of their Tactical Entry Light - the 12ZM and 12PM.
    It was found that the addition of the Longer, heavier Shock Isolated TurboHead made the M4 too front-end heavy to be held in a CombatGrip.
    They experimented and the feedback was such that they decided a straight-body was the best way to go.
    Noting that the M3T could be used with the CombatGrip, perhaps not for extended periods but still - the M3T was SureFire's answer for a middle-ground between the 12ZM (long body, compact TurboHead), and the 9PT (shorter body, 3" diameter TurboHead).
    And between the M3 (shorter body, closer range bezel), and the M4 (long body) / M6 (heavy body).

The Millennium Series were developed to meet the needs of Operators within the technology and capabilities of the time.

Al