PK Design Lab
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISONS

Default Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Requested a while and apparently now in the works.

Default Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Quote Originally Posted by cree_buyer View Post
    would you consider the M20 the most efficient?
    It's certainly up there. Current-controlled circuits (like the ones Fenix and Olight use) are among the most efficient I've seen. When coupled with the M20's nice and low Lo mode, it definitely makes this light a very strong overall performer.

Can't say if it is the most efficient, since I don't normally do runtimes on such Lo levels (ties up my lightbox for too long!). The Lumapower Encore is very well regulated multi-power light - with an even lower Lo mode - but max output isn't as high as the M20. And the build quality of Encore is not in the same league as the M20.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Thumbs up Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Requested a while and apparently now in the works.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Any other wish-list items for the M20? Suggestions for the factory?

I got mine last week and so far I like it for the most part. I thinnk the tail cap button should protrude more though. It is not easy to engage it when I use it whicle shooting my duty weapon. I would also like to see a second switch on the side.

Enlightened

HLWPT,

funny that you should make the "switch on the side" comment.

I have always thought that this would be a great attribute to have on a small tactical light. (Both, tailcap AND switch on the side).

If my Fenix TK11, my Dereelight CLH1 V4, and my M20 Warrior had this function...WOO-HOO...that would be the "Cat's Meow"!!

I would repurchase these lights again if the newer versions had this attribute!

In Christ: Raymond

Flashaholic

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but is the high mode noticebly brighter than medium mode when using a 18650 battery? I thought saw a post somewhere that high is only slightly brighter than medium if using a 18650 battery while high is alot brighter than medium if using 2 Cr123A batteries.

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mikellen View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but is the high mode noticebly brighter than medium mode when using a 18650 battery? I thought saw a post somewhere that high is only slightly brighter than medium if using a 18650 battery while high is alot brighter than medium if using 2 Cr123A batteries.

Thanks.
    High is brighter than medium on 18650, but not as bright as high on 2 x 16340 or 2 x CR123a. If you want the maximum output then you definitely should go to 2 cells on this light. If you are not too worried about maximum output and want a long run time then you should use the M20 on low or medium. On medium you can get 6:49 run time from one 18650 or 8:36 on 2 x CR123a, of course the 18650 is rechargeable so therefore cheaper in the long run.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Hi is about twice as bright as Med, on all batteries. In fact, initial brightness of each output level is the same regardless of the battery used. The only difference is that 18650 on Max is not tightly regulated, but slowly drops-off (i.e. direct drive pattern). So, if you put a partially depleted 18650 in, you may see less of a difference - but it should still be substantial.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.

Flashaholic

I sent a pm to a CPF member who is selling an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 in the Marketplace. He stated that his particular M20 is a newer version which does not have the low battery indicator. He said when he uses 2 CR123A batteries, and they start to become depleted, the light will just turn off. It does not have a slow declining output. I thought the Olight M20 would have a slow declining output when the batteries start to die thus allowing some warning before a complete light shut off. For example, if the batteries could not support high mode then the amount of light would be reduced to medium or low mode.

Can someone please explain if there should be a complete shut off or a slow decline in output while using primaries on this flashlight?

Thank you.

Can someone please explain if there should be a complete shut off or a slow decline in output while using primaries on this flashlight?
    Mine clearly has a slow decline in output on 2xCR123A.

However, it is possible the light might not come on with nearly depleted cells. A number of lights won't activate with such cells, even though they would continue to run past that point if that had been successfully turned on earlier.

Flashaholic

Shrug Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

My olight M20 premium shuts down without warning leaving me in the dark,only thing i don't like about my light.

Flashaholic*

I don't generally run my batteries until dead (they are all rechargeable) and I always have a backup on hand - so I couldn't care less about my light cutting out.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by lightmyway View Post
    My olight M20 premium shuts down without warning leaving me in the dark,only thing i don't like about my light.
    Thats not good, I thought most lights switched automatically to a lower mode, I really wanted one of these but I think its something that needs fixing, LISTEN-UP OLIGHT!!

got the premium R2 WD tint and its nice

I sent a pm to a CPF member who is selling an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 in the Marketplace. He stated that his particular M20 is a newer version which does not have the low battery indicator. He said when he uses 2 CR123A batteries, and they start to become depleted, the light will just turn off. It does not have a slow declining output. I thought the Olight M20 would have a slow declining output when the batteries start to die thus allowing some warning before a complete light shut off. For example, if the batteries could not support high mode then the amount of light would be reduced to medium or low mode.

Thank you.
    It depends upon the battery type.

What you're seeing is so called, 'full regulation,' which is very popular here on CPF. According to SB's runtime charts that only occurs on 3.7V RCR123A and not with regular CR123A or 18650's which will taper off at the end.

So, to be clear, the M20 WILL taper off on CR123A or 1 x 18650.

Flashaholic

Thanks Matt for the clarification On the battery types ,somehow i missed that info i.ll start using the 18650. Great light by the way.

Our 'light of the year for 2008' and still the reigning king of Tactical lights as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy!

Enlightened

I got my Olight R2 Premium from BatteryJunction two weeks ago (along with a T25-Tactical which loves my front pocket )

It's a great light. Very bright and I really like the UI. A nice low for long run time, med for general use and a "can't believe it coming from such a small light" high mode. I have used 18650's and RCR's with great success.

I also bought the smooth reflector to go with it. This does add lots of throw with a tight spot but I think I'm going to leave the OP in the light. For most uses the OP is more than adequate, plenty of throw. The smooth is just too tight for general use (imo).

Great/fast service from Battery Junction. This was my first dealings with them and I'll be going back for more.

A ring to cover the threads where the "square" part is on the light is would be nice. Also, a smooth basal option would be nice too. I don't plan on gettin into any fights with mine ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sardian View Post
    Also, a smooth basal option would be nice too. I don't plan on gettin into any fights with mine ;-)

Just un-screw it !

That's what i did with mine.

Easy as pi.

PS: i love this flashlight !

_

Flashaholic

Is there a diffuser that I can purchase in order to make the beam a little more floody?

Thanks.

Is there a diffuser that I can purchase in order to make the beam a little more floody?
    There was a thread about the release of diffuser/filters for the M20 here. I haven't tried them personally yet.

I just received my Olight M-20. Very nice. However, I was going to use my AW RCR123a's but they seem to fit very tight in the magazine and I am also not able to screw the battery magazine cap all the way down with 2 protected RCR 123a's inside. Furthermore, The light tends to flicker on and off as though there is a bad connection when using the RCR cells with and without the use of the magazine. I do not have this issue when using primary CR123's. Has anyone else experienced this issue. Thanks in advanced

Matt at Battery Junction has provided me with the new Olight filters for the M20.

First thing I noticed is that these are not cheap colored pieces of plastic. They appear to be actual ground glass, and have an anti-reflective coating that gives them a strong complementary pink/green hue when looked at from an angle. To illustrate my point, here's a flash effect from a steep angle:

No, I have not reverse the filters - red is still in the middle and green is at the end. The AR coating gives you this complementary shine.

Olight has released separate filters for the M20 and the small T-series light, but I believe construction is equivalent.

Note the soft-plastic filter cap has grooves specially cut to fit the scalloped edges of the M20's stainless steel bezel ring. The filter/diffuer covers are a good snug fit, as there is some give in the rubberized material of cover. Very little light sneaks back out around the head.

Here's how they look against a white wall. All pics are at 1/25sec, f3.2, white balance locked to daylight, M20 on max on 1x18650.

Control shot of the M20 (note the slightly greenish hue of the R2-WH tint):

Now with the diffuser:

Green filter:

Red filter:

As you can see, the red filter seems to block a lot more light overall. This is likely due to the fact that LEDs output a lot less in the red wavelengths than they do in the blue and yellows (so there is less light overall once filtered for those wavelengths).

Interestingly, there is a complementary color effect right around the bezel with the filters (likely due to the dual AR coating). Here's some close-ups to show you what I mean - lights are lying on top of a white cardboard box:

Final word: I'm very impressed with the qualiy of these filters and diffusers. They are well-made, and certainly well suited for the M20. Good job.

I'm really impressed with the diffuser for the M20. The pictures don't quite capture what a beautiful flood it puts out. Even though they are very nice pictures

Enlightened

Buttrock Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Quote Originally Posted by De-Lux View Post
    However, I was going to use my AW RCR123a's but they seem to fit very tight in the magazine and I am also not able to screw the battery magazine cap all the way down with 2 protected RCR 123a's inside. Furthermore, The light tends to flicker on and off as though there is a bad connection when using the RCR cells with and without the use of the magazine. I do not have this issue when using primary CR123's.
    I'm finally settled with the RCR123 with this light, and yes they fit tighlty in the magazine, but i haven't any problem with it. For sure the cap doesn't screw so far as with CR's, but it don't mess with the contacts anyway. I'm thinking that the magazine's cap comes with an attach to link it to an lanyard or something like that. It protrudes a pair of milimeters from the body, could it be topping with the PCB the cause of the faulty contact in your case?

BTW: Have you people noted that Olight finally has released the threaded ring to replace the tactical one on the M20?
    Thank you Matt!!!

Great job as always Eric!

We don't carry AW RCR123A's but I don't know of anything that would cause them specifically to be problematic. As to using the magazine with RCR123a fitment will really depend upon the length/diameter of your RCR123A's as they have quite a bit of variation between brands/models. Remember that the magazine isn't required with any battery type. There's a spring at the + contact side so the lanyard ring on the magazine shouldn't be affecting contact; those same springs provide shock resistance and also help give the light the flexibility to run on the wider variety of batteries since '18650's' and 'RCR123A's' have so much variance.

Yes - the oft-requested thread cover ring came out as an accessory ~6-8 weeks ago and was added to the M20 standard 'kit' about a month ago.

Last edited by MattK; 04-26-2009 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fugleebeast View Post
    I'm really impressed with the diffuser for the M20. The pictures don't quite capture what a beautiful flood it puts out. Even though they are very nice pictures
    A good point - I too was impressed with how well the diffuser worked to turn the light into a flood monster. Pics rarely capture these things well - in real life, it is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Note the soft-plastic filter cap has grooves specially cut to fit the scalloped edges of the M20's stainless steel bezel ring. The filter/diffuer covers are a good snug fit, as there is some give in the rubberized material of cover. Very little light sneaks back out around the head.
    I found that the filters do fit very well without the rubber:
    take the desired filter glass out of the rubber, unscrew the stainless bezel from the M20, put the filter glass on the original one and screw the bezel back. Thus you may even combine two filters, e.g. diffusor + red/green one

MiniLux
    P1D, LD01, T1/TK10/11/20/40, E01, HP10, P10Ti, DBS R5, CL1H V3 R2/V4 MC-E, Jet M, H30/31/50/51/501/60/SC30/60, Spear, NDI, NEX, D10, EX10, EZ AA/CR2, M20, S20, S2, L2, LF2X/2XT/3XT/5XT, ED-P71/P72, L-Mini 2/PLI/P-Rocket/X-Thrower, Q RGB, Mini 123/CR2/CR2Ti, Turbo 2AA/CR123, AA Tactical, VX Ultra, T100C2, DeCree-XPG

Quote Originally Posted by MiniLux View Post
    I found that the filters do fit very well without the rubber:
    take the desired filter glass out of the rubber, unscrew the stainless bezel from the M20, put the filter glass on the original one and screw the bezel back. Thus you may even combine two filters, e.g. diffusor + red/green one
    That's pretty clever - glad to hear to lens sizes fit so well.

Unenlightened

Just got my M20 today and what a great light!

Nice modes, with no silly SOS stuff.

I thought the low-mode was going to be useless, but after dark it's great for around-camp use

This could be my favorite light since I got a Mag-lite 30+ years ago