My new Model, The Woodsman

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Its 10.5" long. 5" handle. This one is 3/16 thick, and its the thickest blade I've ever done. They're going to be 5/32" thick usually, but I may ocasionally do a few in the thicker steel. The front pin is a SS corby bolt. The handle is Goncalo Alves (maybe my favorite wood) and Osage with a red liner. This is my favorite knife I make. I made this one for me so I can do some testing. I even spent a bit of time hand rubbing the blade.
Ca02-vi.jpg

Ca49-vi.jpg

ca51-vi.jpg

ca52-vi.jpg

ca54-vi.jpg

ca55-vi.jpg

ca56-vi.jpg

ca53-vi.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!! It looks like a well-polished Bark River bushcraft blade, is it full convexed? Do you have a website with order forms?

Thanks

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Awesome!! It looks like a well-polished Bark River bushcraft blade, is it full convexed? Do you have a website with order forms?

Thanks

It is full convexed. I don't take orders though. I offer what I make for sale on the forums, and make what I want to make.

Right now I have 30 knives heat treated and sitting on the bench waiting for the handle step.

4 in glueup, including one of these with Masaccar Ebony and Maple.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just realized something..... You never did mention which blade-steel you used.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, this knife is absolutely beautiful... it's obvious you put a lot of care into making it. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Now to reveal my ignorance... what sort of steel is 01... what's it known for, why would I want it? I'm familiar with VG-10, BG42, CPM D2... well, that's about it as far as things I've actually tried. How does 01 compare to any of those?

For that matter, is there a good online reference to the various blade steels for a knife newbie like me to learn about this stuff?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For that matter, is there a good online reference to the various blade steels for a knife newbie like me to learn about this stuff?

YES!

Click here ==> http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/109/

Read & scroll. The article is a few years old, but spot-on. Joe is one of the more well-respected members of the BladeForums Mod/Admin. team. And, he also has an account on CPF. A decent and knowledgeable fellow.

As for my take on O-1, I will admit to liking the better stainless steels than any type of carbon steel or high-carbon tool steel. A thin coating of oil on an O-1, when not in use, is always a good idea. Otherwise, it might rust away as you're looking at it.

As Joe mentioned in the article, legendary Randall Made knives uses O-1 for their carbon blades. Their stainless blades are 440-B. (American twin sister of AUS-8; from Japan. AUS-8 is horribly underrated. Then again, so is 440-C.... A blade steel that will easily keep up with many of the newer, exotic steels on the market. Even heard some knifemakers say that they'd still be using 440-C, if it wasn't for the fact that their paying customers insist on the use of "modern" exotics).

Here's another link that contains a by-the-numbers breakdown of what to expect....

http://www.agrussell.com/Steel_Guide/a/73/

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES!

Click here ==> http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/109/

Read & scroll. The article is a few years old, but spot-on. Joe is one of the more well-respected members of the BladeForums Mod/Admin. team. And, he also has an account on CPF. A decent and knowledgeable fellow.

As for my take on O-1, I will admit to liking the better stainless steels than any type of carbon steel. A thin coating of oil on an O-1, when not in use, is always a good idea. Otherwise, it might rust away as you're looking at it.

As Joe mentioned in the article, legendary Randall Made knives uses O-1 for their carbon blades. Their stainless blades are 440-B. (American twin sister of AUS-8; from Japan. AUS-8 is horribly underrated. Then again, so is 440-C.... A blade steel that will easily keep up with many of the newer, exotic steels on the market. Even heard some knifemakers say that they'd still be using 440-C, if it wasn't for the fact that their paying customers insist on the use of "modern" exotics).

Here's another link that contains a by-the-numbers breakdown of what to expect....

http://www.agrussell.com/Steel_Guide/a/73/

Hope this helps. :)
As for my take on O-1, I will admit to liking the better stainless steels than any type of carbon steel. A thin coating of oil on an O-1, when not in use, is always a good idea. Otherwise, it might rust away as you're looking at it.

O-1 is not a plain carbon steel, it is a high-carbon Tool steel. It has other elements besides iron and carbon, so it is not common carbon steel like 1095. Some tool steels have rust resistance which is very similar to modern or "exotic" stainless steels, because of the added chromium and other rust resistant alloys. A good Tool or Die Steel will not readily rust like plain carbon blades.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
01 as stated is a tool steel. It was designed for edged tools in the machine trade. It is very good at holding an edge, and also easy to sharpen.

If you maintain your tools, 01 will hold up very well. The above statement that it will rust away while you watch it is exaggeration to the nth extreme. Carbon steels will rust, but not if you wipe them dry when you're finished using them. If you know you'll encounter water, then the smart thing to do would be to oil the blade.