Olight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade for conceal carry in CA?

Default Fixed blade for conceal carry in CA?

What's the regulation for fixed blade conceal carry in CA?
    Let there be light.

Default Re: Fixed blade for conceal carry in CA?

From the California Penal Code:
    12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
    is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one
    year or in the state prison:

(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.

(c)(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife
    or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of
    ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury
    or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
    prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
    as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
    only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.
    Last edited by Kato; 10-09-2008 at 05:00 PM.

basically - you cant.

However, IIRC, a fixed blade in a sheath on your belt is not considered concealed in CA.

That is right, you cannot conceal a fixed blade in CA.
    强光手电是我最爱得

ok, thanks guys for the info
    Let there be light.

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    What's the regulation for fixed blade conceal carry in CA?
    State law may permit open carry of fixed blade knives but you would be wise to check local laws as well to see what the ruling class allowed the untrustworthy masses to have.
    There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with a zombie plan and those who are dinner.

I think that the events of the last few weeks make it clear why politicians don't want the masses to have guns...

I thought we were talking about knives.

Gun laws are slightly different in CA. Cities cannot preempt state law AFA guns.
    There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with a zombie plan and those who are dinner.

I don't think there is a state that permits concealed carry for fixed blades...I almost landed meself in jail for that

In two cases, one very recently, I've seen men with good sized fixed blades hanging from their belts in urban San Diego.

In the first case, I was off duty at Rubio's restaurant and a bearded male customer in his 20's had a fixed blade on the belt. I had never seen this before, outside a lake/hunting ground.

In the second, I was in uniform at Circle K, and a bearded "biker" type with a ponytail and vest had a full sized fixed blade on his belt. He seemed to be a regular and the cashier knew him.

In neither case did anybody show any overt interest in the knife. I imagine anybody openly carrying a fixed blade knife knows the laws regarding this very well and is willing to deal with any issues that come up. Being a bearded male seems to be a requirement

Open carry of a firearm is perfectly legal in unincorporated areas of CA too.

But the cops tend to arrest everyone involved first while they are sorting it out.

I open carry a Kabar when I go mtn biking on state land.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightraven View Post
    In two cases, one very recently, I've seen men with good sized fixed blades hanging from their belts in urban San Diego.
    I had never seen this before, outside a lake/hunting ground.
    There has been a dust up between a couple of motorcycle gangs up here in the SF Bay Area recently. A couple of high ranking members have been killed (one for sure, I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the other). I wouldn't be surprised if bikers are wearing bigger knives these days.
    Last edited by NA8; 10-16-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Flashaholic

As long as they are not concealed, carrying fixed bladed knives of any length is legal in California.

It's a funny state, you can carry a 12 inch fixed blade if its on your waist...but carry that 2 inch fixed blade in your pocket and its best of luck to ya.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Yeah, I've read a little about outlaw motorcycle gangs and it seems they are most likely to open carry a fixed blade.

The guy I saw at Circle K wasn't patched, so I don't know if he's a 1%er or not.

Regardless, it is a rare sight.

There was another recent incident in which a Hell's Angel from my working area of San Diego was shot by a federal officer at the Sturgis bike rally. The Angel picked the fight with the fed, but didn't have any weapons that I recall reading about. Their penchant to carry weapons can't help them in a situation like this, even if it is legal in South Dakota.

As far as concealed versus open carry, that goes back to the days when it was considered sneaky and suspicious to hide a weapon instead of openly displaying your armed status. Therefore, open weapons carry is usually less restrictive than concealed. Modern sensibilities makes this seem odd to us, but in a rougher time, it may have made sense.
    Last edited by Lightraven; 10-17-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Once again, check local laws. Open carry will get you in very deep caca in places like LA, SF and Oakland. Additionally, check state and local laws about knives and other weapons in public buildings and schools.

Open carry is fine in the City of Los Angeles as long as the blade length is under three inches in length. Otherwise, exemption can be found in Ordinance 162995.
    强光手电是我最爱得

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Open carry is fine in the City of Los Angeles as long as the blade length is under three inches in length. Otherwise, exemption can be found in Ordinance 162995.
    Which is not in agreement with State law hence my insistence that OP should check local laws.

Flashaholic*

Cant imagine what would happen here in NY city if you had a 12" bowie on your hip.......I am only a visitor here and donít know the details, but I do know that the local LEO's discourage "menacing the public" by showing any evidence of weapon carry......even a pocket clip from a legal folder......

btw, what is the legal situation in CA to do with carrying folders?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillphoto View Post
    It's a funny state, you can carry a 12 inch fixed blade if its on your waist...but carry that 2 inch fixed blade in your pocket and its best of luck to ya.
    You got that right! You can never carry a balisong or a switch blade, but if its under 2 inches then its legal.

btw, what is the legal situation in CA to do with carrying folders?
    You can carry folders in most of the area in California, but then again it's better that you check the local law regarding knife carry as it varies from city to city and counties. Some cities are banning the carry of assisted opening knives now, so you may want to check on that either. Also never have an open folder in your pocket or anywhere in your clothes, because it will land you in jail.

As for carrying fix blade, I only carry it openly when I go hiking or mountain biking. I don't want any unwanted attention on me and be hassled.

To the OP may I ask why you want to carry a fix blade concealed?
    Μολών Λαβέ

I'd love to be able to carry my atwood sopt in its sheath in my pocket. I venture to say that I have done that on occasion. It's pretty simple, don't "act a fool" and get in trouble with the law, and there's no reason to worry. If a LEO asks about weapons on your person, mention that you don't have any weapons, but do have a small (pocket) knife in your pocket for opening boxes and whatnot. Regardless of whats said, you've got to let them know it's there.

When I do lawfully carry it, it's attached to my backpack shoulder strap for all to see. I worry more about it getting stolen when I carry it like that.

I carry a folder in my pocket everyday.
    Last edited by Stillphoto; 10-17-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

AFAIK, YMMV, IIRC, etc.

In CA, if you wanted to, you could carry a break-action shotgun over your shoulder, have a large sword strapped to your leg, and have an 18" folder hidden under your jacket. That said, none of those options are very wise. It's illegal to "cause a panic," so if something you're legally doing (like walking around wearing a plaid vest and a furry hat with earflaps while holding an 870 Express, asking passersby if they've seen any ducks) causes a panic, they can get you for that. And even if you don't cause a panic, LEOs might want to have words with you.

I recommend going with an ordinary folder or perhaps an AO. Make sure you know your knife laws, because sometimes authority figures don't. If they want to confiscate something, get a receipt.

CA says you can posess any undeployed folder anywhere except for on the grounds of K-12 schools. There are exemptions for employees, of course.
    强光手电是我最爱得

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    CA says you can posess any undeployed folder anywhere except for on the grounds of K-12 schools. There are exemptions for employees, of course.

You forgot:
    courts
    airports
    and some government buildings.
    Μολών Λαβέ

CA does not specifically address this in the Penal Code as it pertains to knives. The idea is implicit, to be sure, but never directly addressed.
    强光手电是我最爱得

*Mammoth Killer*

As an officer I really hate to say this however I have noticed that many state local codes are worded in a way as to be very vague and open for interpitation....In other words there is always a way to violate someone for something if one is creative enough. On the other hand there is also usually many ways to justify something if the person in question is polite and simply a normal day to day man.....I have used officer discression many times to overlook or maybe a better word would be "consider legal within description of code" for people I have encountered.

Now please understand I am not saying at all to disregard city code however I am saying to know every in and out of the local laws regarding carry. I am also saying that if you are simply a family man out to dinner with the wife and kids and your Benchmade Folder falls from your pocket within site of an officer....well I would hate to think the police there would be harsh enough to consider you in violation......is it really that bad there? However if you were a rebel biker creating a disturbance I would expect the police to use creative interpetation of any laws should you be found with any type knife.

Good luck and it may help to actually visit a local precinct and speak to some of the street officers. Introduce yourself and ask some advice on what the actual street level officers will allow. Most are usually happy to see someone taking the responsibility of actually asking first before assuming.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

Quote Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
    To the OP may I ask why you want to carry a fix blade concealed?
    i carry a folder in my bag everyday. i was just wondering if i could have a small fixed blade, throw it in the bag in place of the folder.

folder works just fine for me. i wanted to see if there's a reason (a.k.a. excuse) for me to get a small fixed blade
    Let there be light.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy's Dropper View Post
    As long as they are not concealed, carrying fixed bladed knives of any length is legal in California.
    Ummm...maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?pid/488701/

Toshi

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TMorita View Post
    Ummm...maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?pid/488701/

Toshi
    That KF thread is almost 100% INCORRECT.

In summary,

-there is no FIXED blade length limit in California's Penal Code (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Switchblades and Bali's with blades over 2 inches are misdemeanors (PC 653k)

-There is no limit on manual folder blade length, nor is a closed folder concealed considered a "dirk or "dagger" (PC 12020 et. al.)

-Schools. These are confusing, as it's different for public and private institutions as well as the grades of instruction (kindergarten, 1-12, university level, etc). In summary, and dirk/dagger with a blade greater than 2.5" or a locking blade knife is considered a "wobbler" if possessed on school grounds. A wobbler is an offense that can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. As arrested, it will be charged as a felony. (PC 626.10--review it all). I'd suggest not bringing any bladed instruments onto school grounds.

-Counties and Municipalities can also create their own laws, which are charged as misdemeanors. Cities and Counties CANNOT create ordinances that can be charged as felonies.

I'd suggest reviewing the appropriate codes and sections, as the above information is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute nor imply any legal advice.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...