Fixed blade for conceal carry in CA?

Kato

Enlightened
From the California Penal Code:
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one
year or in the state prison:

(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.

(c)(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife
or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of
ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury
or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, IIRC, a fixed blade in a sheath on your belt is not considered concealed in CA.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
What's the regulation for fixed blade conceal carry in CA?

State law may permit open carry of fixed blade knives but you would be wise to check local laws as well to see what the ruling class allowed the untrustworthy masses to have.

FsTop

Enlightened
I think that the events of the last few weeks make it clear why politicians don't want the masses to have guns...

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I thought we were talking about knives.

Gun laws are slightly different in CA. Cities cannot preempt state law AFA guns.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In two cases, one very recently, I've seen men with good sized fixed blades hanging from their belts in urban San Diego.

In the first case, I was off duty at Rubio's restaurant and a bearded male customer in his 20's had a fixed blade on the belt. I had never seen this before, outside a lake/hunting ground.

In the second, I was in uniform at Circle K, and a bearded "biker" type with a ponytail and vest had a full sized fixed blade on his belt. He seemed to be a regular and the cashier knew him.

In neither case did anybody show any overt interest in the knife. I imagine anybody openly carrying a fixed blade knife knows the laws regarding this very well and is willing to deal with any issues that come up. Being a bearded male seems to be a requirement ;)

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Open carry of a firearm is perfectly legal in unincorporated areas of CA too.

But the cops tend to arrest everyone involved first while they are sorting it out.

I open carry a Kabar when I go mtn biking on state land.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
In two cases, one very recently, I've seen men with good sized fixed blades hanging from their belts in urban San Diego.
I had never seen this before, outside a lake/hunting ground.

There has been a dust up between a couple of motorcycle gangs up here in the SF Bay Area recently. A couple of high ranking members have been killed (one for sure, I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the other). I wouldn't be surprised if bikers are wearing bigger knives these days.

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a funny state, you can carry a 12 inch fixed blade if its on your waist...but carry that 2 inch fixed blade in your pocket and its best of luck to ya.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've read a little about outlaw motorcycle gangs and it seems they are most likely to open carry a fixed blade.

The guy I saw at Circle K wasn't patched, so I don't know if he's a 1%er or not.

Regardless, it is a rare sight.

There was another recent incident in which a Hell's Angel from my working area of San Diego was shot by a federal officer at the Sturgis bike rally. The Angel picked the fight with the fed, but didn't have any weapons that I recall reading about. Their penchant to carry weapons can't help them in a situation like this, even if it is legal in South Dakota.

As far as concealed versus open carry, that goes back to the days when it was considered sneaky and suspicious to hide a weapon instead of openly displaying your armed status. Therefore, open weapons carry is usually less restrictive than concealed. Modern sensibilities makes this seem odd to us, but in a rougher time, it may have made sense.

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Once again, check local laws. Open carry will get you in very deep caca in places like LA, SF and Oakland. Additionally, check state and local laws about knives and other weapons in public buildings and schools.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Open carry is fine in the City of Los Angeles as long as the blade length is under three inches in length. Otherwise, exemption can be found in Ordinance 162995.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Open carry is fine in the City of Los Angeles as long as the blade length is under three inches in length. Otherwise, exemption can be found in Ordinance 162995.

Which is not in agreement with State law hence my insistence that OP should check local laws.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cant imagine what would happen here in NY city if you had a 12" bowie on your hip.......I am only a visitor here and don't know the details, but I do know that the local LEO's discourage "menacing the public" by showing any evidence of weapon carry......even a pocket clip from a legal folder......

btw, what is the legal situation in CA to do with carrying folders?