Spy 007 Trit ?

stevevh

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I have 4 trits, 2 of which are intended for the spy 007. I have done some research and see that the Norland optical adhesive is the best to use to glue the trits in. Where is a good place to purchase some?
I did see someone in the marketplace offering a small amount for sale a few weeks back but he is out and all I need is a tiny amount. Anyone out there have a bit I could purchase? Also for those guys that have done this mod on the spy is there anything out of the ordinary I should know?

Thanks,

Steve

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used a little of 5 minute epoxy and drop the tritium in using a tweezers. If there is any extra use a tooth pick to clean it up.

stevevh

Enlightened
What about more eye candy :p

SPY 007 (two orange vials) and Sun Drop (two yellow vials, same size but magnified by the sapphire lens) :

image1er3.jpg

image2hh8.jpg

image3op0.jpg

Tino,

Thanks a bunch for the info and pictures, it is much appreciated. I managed to snag a vial of the norland off the cpf marketplace and it should be here soon. I should have some left over if anyone else needs any.

Steve

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tritium slots of the SPY 007 are well recessed from foreign objects. This is a good thing for the vials protection, yet at the same time it makes vials installation a little more tricky.

I have installed vials using Norland 61. Worked like a charm, and eventhough I usually don't use that word easily, the result is *perfect*. I cleaned the light, installed the vials, centered them precisely, then poured the Norland drop after drop using a 1ml seringue. Leveled itself quickly and did not produce any bubble. Note that these is a slight shrinkage during curing, so if a flat surface is what you are looking for, do not hesitate to make a slightly convex surface before curing.

In any case if you mess up with the adhesive, don't cure it, clean the light and you can stard all over again.

img4352hc5.jpg

img4377qo9.jpg

I would certainly not use anything that cures in 5 minutes. Not enough time and if you screw up, you can't stop the process. It won't be very easy to remove especially on the SPY since acess to the pocket is not the easiest.

I'm sure someone in the US can send you a small amout of NOA. If you fail finding someone in the US let me know ;).

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about more eye candy :p

SPY 007 (two orange vials) and Sun Drop (two yellow vials, same size but magnified by the sapphire lens) :

image1er3.jpg

image2hh8.jpg

image3op0.jpg

Rudi

Enlightened
Clear nail polish works well too. As it cures by evaporation of the solvent, it wil shrink, and you just add a bit more with a toothpick, maybe a couple of times, until the cured surface is level. The installation can be reversed by soaking with acetone or nail polish remover to soften the clear nail polish.

Regular epoxy works well too, because the film over the trit is so thin that the trit brightness isn't really affected, as the human eye cannot discern slight differences in brightness.

easilyled

Flashaholic
To the people who have installed trits in their Spy 007s, do you drop the trits into the slots first, prior to applying any epoxy or nail varnish?

In other words, do the trits sit in the bottom of the slots?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
To the people who have installed trits in their Spy 007s, do you drop the trits into the slots first, prior to applying any epoxy or nail varnish?

Daniel-
Yes! It's best to protect the vials as much as you can.
:thumbsup: john

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did this with Norland. Placed the vials in the pocket first, centered them, then poured the norland over them. Adjust precisely the levels so that they are slightly convex and pertectly match, double check everything, then cure.

Result is as perfect as it can get. Anyone that has a little DIY practice and a little detail-minded can really achieve a top notch installation the first time.

stevevh

Enlightened
Quick update!

I did the implant surgery this morning and it was a little trickier than I had imagined. The norland was great and has a very nice consistency, but the problem I had was overflow. I tried one drop at a time but it kept on overflowing and when I wiped off the excess, the norland would get soaked up into the tissue paper. I got it right after about 4 times and now it looks pretty nice. There is a little bit of uneveness, but only if you look hard. Thanks guys for all the help and info.
For those looking for the trits and norland I got them off the marketplace.
Tritium Vials: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=183824
Norland-Looks like all the Norland on the marketplace is sold out. You can buy some from here though.http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1597

DSC_5222.jpg

DSC_5227.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
was just about to ask as well :poke:

Love the ice blue against the ti.