Porter Ranch Fire!Members in danger. Update

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a Notice from Darkzero(Will) that he has evacuated his home to get away from this terrible fire.He asked me to post here so those who currently are in dealings with him will have to wait until this settles.

He does not know if his house is safe from this fire and when he will be in touch again.

If anyone has any info/things to add/ updates.
Please do so.

I just hope everything goes well and that the fire can be put out soon.
My prayers to those in danger.

Benny

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Re: Porter Ranch Fire,members in danger.

Hope Will, other CPF'ers and people are safe.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope that everyone in that area will be ok and that no home are destroyed. I'll keep them in my prayers.

Illum

Flashaholic

I just hope the wind dies down....CA et al. has had enough quite enough for one year :candle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Here's hoping everything turns out okay.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just talked to my folks (I grew up near there, and my parents still have the house), and they were relieved that the wind was blowing that fire away from them. Unfortunately, that means it's probably blowing towards an even more populated area.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeez......!!

Hope Will and all the folks living there will end up being allright....!

Disturbing news Benny, but thanks for keeping us posted...

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thoughts and prayers to Will and all the others at risk.

Stay safe!

Patriot

Flashaholic

I hope that everyone in that area will be ok and that no home are destroyed. I'll keep them in my prayers.

I'll also pray that same thing and that DZ gets to return to his home quickly.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like all of us in Southern California may be in for another rough fire season like last October. A fire broke out today on Camp Penalton, a military base outside of Oceanside in San Diego county. Apparently, CalFire didn't make an agreement with the right people to allow the use of nightvision equipped choppers to fly over the base at night to help put out the fire. It seems they didn't learn enough from last year. We have the right resources to fight these fires, but once again, they're not being deployed because of more red tape. If this or another fire leads to human deaths because of these red tape problems, I seriously hope someone gets fired and replaced with someone competent. This problem was supposed to be resolved after last year's mismanagement. It's rediculous that each governmental organization has to have an agreement in writing before they can help each other. If my neighbor's house was on fire, I wouldn't wait for written consent to help while my neighbor was burning alive in his home. If we have the resources to fight a fire and save lives, we should help. They shouldn't have to wait for consent to save people's lives while homes are burning. Rant over.
For those of you in harm's way, I sincerely hope you make it through this ordeal okay. I know what you're going through. It stinks to be forced out of your home only to live in a nonprivate shelter or a car for who knows how long. It doesn't feel good knowing your home may be burning and you have a hard time providing for and protecting your family. If you have a home when you get back, you may not have electricity or water for days or weeks. Sometimes you may not have all of your family members when you get back. One week from tommorow, the 21st, will be the anniversary of the Witch fire that started in my home town, Ramona. The 18th was the day I lost my mom to cancer last year, three days before the fire. I'll be praying for those of you in harm's way and that you don't have to go through what I went through, or worse. For any members who are firefighters or police officers, I have nothing but respect for you for risking your lives to save others. I hope that you stay safe during these fires and other disasters to come. Heroes willing to put their lives on the line to save others are hard to find these days.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I was in the Grand Prix/Old Fire here in SoCal back in '03..

First night, mountains on fire, fire approaching:

Fire1.jpg

The next day, the entire mountain range and tracts of houses very nearby burn:

Fire2.jpg

Everywhere is the nonstop smell of fire, sitting in your house, driving in your car, etc. Going outside you can only take a few steps before the snowing ashes burn your eyes, and you can't see more than a few hundred feet anyway. And it was this way for *five days*.

To this day, five years later, you can open up any door or window in the house I was in at the time, put your nose close to where the seals are, and smell pure burning wildfire.

I hope all goes well for DarkZero, and hope he and his house are well far away from the real damage.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just heard from Will.

He is now able to return to his home.
Still lots of fires going on.

He said he would post in later this week after the dust settles.

Benny

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Yep its fire season here in good ol SoCal again. While I live in reclaimed desert, it's far enough from the chaparral and brush countries thankfully.

Good vibes sent to DZ.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's aggravating to me when I see so much federal money wasted on useless programs while we don't have a national fleet of firefighting aircraft. Everything now is private and the fire plane force is always stretched to it's limit. Then there is the night flying issue which was overcome decades ago by the military contractors but hasn't made it's way to fire planes because of the expense. Instead they're using passive systems when they do fly at night which are lacking terribly. I can't believe there hasn't been more of a push in this nation for assembling a better firefighting fleet. Converted C-17's for example would have the payload and flight capabilities to get in and out of tight terrain and could operate from short fields. It's obviously going to take a fire disaster on an epic scale in order for officials to wise up, which they'll only consider at great pressure from city and local government.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thank you to Benny & to everyone else for their support. The great firefighters have saved our communities. We are all very lucky that God has protected us.

This one was called the Sesnon Fire in Porter Ranch which is the street along my backyard.

I've been through a number of fires while living here, had some close calls but this by far was the worst I have ever experienced & the most frightening. I watched everything around my neighborhood burn. I've never seen a fire that could do so much damage so fast with my own eyes. It was very windy to begin with & the huge fire created it's own storm making it worse.

This was just one of many fires going on & some still burning. This time they say it was caused by power lines but there's always some idiot who thinks it's funny to start a fire when another one has already done so much damage. It always happens here. I hope those guys burn in hell. :rant:

I'm so happy to have a home to still come home to. :candle:

Here's some pics. I have many many more but I can not post them all.

10132008025.jpg

10132008028.jpg

10132008036.jpg

10132008040.jpg

10132008041.jpg

10132008043.jpg

10132008047.jpg

10132008049.jpg

Img_5702.jpg

Img_5710.jpg

Img_5712.jpg

Img_5714.jpg

Img_5742.jpg

Img_5758.jpg

Sesnon Fire

Fire Information

Sesnon Fire Information: Last Updated: October 15, 2008 6:00 p.m.
Date/Time Started: October 13, 2008 at 10:49 a.m.
Administrative Unit:CAL FIRE / LA County Fire Department / LA City Fire Department / Ventura County Fire Department
County:Los Angeles County
Acres Burned: 13,825
Containment:50% contained
Structures Threatened:3,500 residences and 100 commercial properties are currently treatened.

Structures Damaged/Destroyed: 15 residences and 47 outbuildings have been destroyed, and 6 residences have been damaged. Evacuations: The following areas are open to residents only: Browns Canyon and Tapo Canyon Road north of Lost Canyons.
The following areas are open (no restrictions): Box Canyon, Bell Canyon, Lake Manor, Woolsey Canyon, Lilac Lane, all of Simi Valley open (with exception of Tapo Canyon listed above), all of the incorporated areas of Los Angeles City and North of Bell Canyon Road & West of Los Angeles County line.
Equine evacuation warnings for Bell Canyon, Pierce College and areas north of U.S.101 from Hidden Hills to Kanan and are lifted.
Evacuation centers have been established at the Shepherd of the Hill in Porter Ranch, Sinaloa Milld School in Simi Valley and Goebel Senior Center in Thousand Oaks.
Road Closures: Tampa at Stearns and 118 Fwy from Reseda to Stern, Santa Susana Pass Rd., Valley Circle from Plummer to Ingomar, and Tapo Canyon Road.

Cause: Electrical distribution line down
Cooperating Agencies: CAL FIRE, Local Fire Departments across Los Angeles County, Ventura County Fire, CHP, National Park Service, Los Angeles County Sheriffs Office, Los Angeles Police Departmet, Cal Edison, So Cal Gas, Los Angeles County OES, CDCR
Total Fire Personnel: 2,847 (691 CAL FIRE)
452 Engines
57 Crews
9 Watertenders
11 Dozers
2 Helicopters
Conditions: Weather still remains a strong factor in the ability to control this fire.
The 118 Freeway may continue to be intermittently closed as needed for firefighting operations to be conducted safely.
CAL FIRE ICT #6 joined a Unified Command with LA County Fire Department, LA City Fire Department, and Ventura County Fire Department.
Sesnon Fire Perimeter Map
Sesnon Fire Fact Sheet
Cost to Date : $6.1 million

Last edited:

Ganp

Enlightened
I've only just caught this thread. Wills pictures really bring home the sense of scale and threat from such a fire.

My deepest sympathy goes out to everyone who has been affected. I hope all of you are able to recover from this very soon.

Colin.