Best Light <$50

zip22

Newly Enlightened
I need a light to use while riding my bike at night. My ride is at most 30 minutes per trip, but I would like something that has a good runtime and uses standard batteries. I will be on roads that are lit fairly well, so I am looking for something between a see light and a be seen light. Are there any best-buys in this category?

I have been browsing this forum for a while, looked through the review roundup, checked the bike light section, and have been trying to make sense of it all. Are any of the lights that I can get locally worth it? I have seen the leatherman light at costco, riverrock (?) lights at target, and duracell lights all over. I have also read about cheap lights from lowes, craftsman, coleman, dorcy, etc. Are any of these good buys? There seem to be so many options and recomendations, and I'm just looking for some guidance.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep posting about this darn light, but i can't help it, it's cheap and IMO it's good for the price.

Ultrafire C3 single mode with 2 x AA extension tube, $18.98 on DX. On 14500 cells, runs 1hr 48 minutes (at least mine did).

On 2 x AA Sanyo Eneloops, was dimmer after close to 4 hours but still reasonably bright (bring spare cells).

If your ride is 30 minutes per trip, get the C3, a WF-139 charger, 2 x 14500 cells (i am using the trustfire ones from DX) and you're all set with 2 hrs and 96 minutes of light (3hrs 36 minutes).

zip22

Newly Enlightened
hyperloop, on the site, it has this disclaimer:
Caution: do not use 2 x 3.6V 14500 batteries or you will burn the light out!

Is that just to protect themselves?

I have heard the fenix mentioned a few times. what makes it worth $60 while the ultrafire is $20?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to consider 18650 cells (recommended, as the performance-size ratio is unbeatable) you'd probably like a L-Mini from Shiningbeam.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D is better quality, more reliable, etc.

And it's not a disclaimer, it's a statement of fact. Using 2x14500's WILL destroy the driver in that light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix has better quality, more efficient circuits, more reliability(I've heard may stories of the Ultrafire C3 breaking from a short drop), warranty, and a good track record.

Most local stores don't have much in the way of good lights.

For your task, a Fenix L2T V2.0 might work. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8".

:welcome:

zip22

Newly Enlightened
Alright, so what are the differences between the L2D CE and the L2T v2.0 Q2? The biggest thing I notice is the L2D has many more modes (which I likely won't be using).

edit: I found a review comparing the ultrafire to the fenix on bikeforums that seems pretty detailed (for my needs anyway), so I'm swinging towards the fenix.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=446019&highlight=fenix

This brought up another question, though. The review is about the L2D Premium Q5. The link is redirected to the LD20 Premium Q5. The L2D light on fenix store now is the L2D CE.

So, what is the difference between the L2D CE, the L2T v2.0 Q2, and the LD20 Premium Q5? are the slightly better lumen ratings between them all worth the small price increases?

Heres a summary of the data on their site
Code:
          E20     L2T v2.0  L2D CE   L2D Prem  LD20 Prem
LED        Q2        Q2      Q5(?)       Q5         Q5
High      109       152       135       180        180
Hours     3.3       2.4       2.4       2.4         2
Modes      1         2         6         6          6
Price     $38     $49.50    $56.50    $57.95     $62.95
It seems silly that the top three are all offered when they are so close. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D has always been the L2D-CE minimal, most of us are just too lazy to type the CE part.

The Normal L2D-CE has a lower LED bin then the L2D-CE Q5, so the L2D-CE will be dimmer but have the same runtime. The LD20 is essentially an "improved" L2D-CE Q5.

At those outputs, the difference between 150 and 180 lumen is pretty small to the eye.

DArklite

Enlightened
Don't be too quick to discount the strobe on the L2D - all it takes is for the weather to turn lousy while you're biking, and there goes the "be seen" factor if you don't have one.
That said, Lighthound.com has the L2D in the Rebel 80 version (which I have) for under $50, and IMO the Rebel adds more realism to what's being lit, especially when your biking excursions take you off the pavement.
You won't lose much (if any) brightness or runtime vs. the Q5.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hyperloop, on the site, it has this disclaimer:

Is that just to protect themselves?

I have heard the fenix mentioned a few times. what makes it worth $60 while the ultrafire is $20?

Yes, that is correct, 2 x 14500s will fry the light. What i meant was to use it in single AA mode and run that using a 14500 cell for maximum brightness.

In 2 x AA mode, you can only use AAs, whether it be NiMh, alkaline or lithiums.

Gunner12: i've read that too, but personally speaking, mine has dropped from my pocket, bounced off rocks at a breakwater, down to beach where it landed in wet sand and remembering what i read, i was like "Oh s**t!!!" but fortunately for me, it was still working fine, i guess i got a good one.

And, i do agree that Fenix is better than the Ultrafire but the Ultrafire is a pretty good starter light, i still EDC it but now more to slooowly entice non-flashaholics into getting a decent light. Initially i did consider the Fenix range but was kinda put off by the price. Now, Fenixes and Jetbeams look very affordable as compared to some other brands.

Its funny when you see people using stock minimags get flabbergasted when they see the output of a C3 on a 14500.

Then when i tell 'em that its $18.98 incl shipping they want to get one, thing is, i didnt tell them i was running a 14500 (save that for a later stage when they come ask me why mine is so much brighter). :whistle:

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
If you ride a bike at night, I hope you wear helmet. If you do why not make it into your protection and light? A little red strobe in the back and a headlight in the front.

You should be able to put the whole package together for around fifty bucks.

mr.vu

Newly Enlightened
My favorite two lights under $50 are the L2D and P2D. Four levels of output plus SOS and strobe. P2D is small, easily pocketable. L2D has good runtime on NiMH AAs.

zip22

Newly Enlightened
Don't be too quick to discount the strobe on the L2D - all it takes is for the weather to turn lousy while you're biking, and there goes the "be seen" factor if you don't have one.
That said, Lighthound.com has the L2D in the Rebel 80 version (which I have) for under $50, and IMO the Rebel adds more realism to what's being lit, especially when your biking excursions take you off the pavement.
You won't lose much (if any) brightness or runtime vs. the Q5.

Yeah, after I looked into it more, the strobe would be useful. What does the rebel version add?

Gunner, at $1.45 more, why wouldn't a person go with the premium model?

Last edited:

mr.vu

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, after I looked into it more, the strobe would be useful. What does the rebel version add?

Gunner, at $1.45 more, why wouldn't a person go with the premium model?

The Rebel models have a warmer tint and are only available with OP reflectors.

zip22

Newly Enlightened
From some more looking around, it seems like the Rebel has a better flood and the Cree a better spot. I tried ordering the rebel from lighthound.com, but it is out of stock.

I also just noticed that Fenix says the light was discontinued because of problems with the Rebel LED.

Last edited:

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened
By "standard batteries", I assume you mean alkaline. The bright flashlights draw a lot of currrent and aren't AA alkaline friendly. The run times for quoted below are for NiMH rechargeables. The E20 might be the best choice for AA alkalines since it draws less current.

You might want to consider flashlights that take C or Ds or budget for
a AA charger and some AA rechargeable batteries.

zip22

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I meant standard sizes. I already have some NiMH rechargeables and chargers.