Help for wiring MC-E

nwbrewer

Newly Enlightened
I need some advice from the more EE savy members of the board. I'm planning on picking up an M-bin MC-E from Cutter, I already bought these from DX -
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1886

Which if I wire up the LED in 2s/2p Should drive the LED to full brightness from 6AA ni-mh batteries.

Now I'm thinking I may want multiple levels, full and 1/2 current. So I was wondering if I could take one of those DX drivers and remove half of the AMC chips to make it a 700ma driver, and use a 3 position switch to switch which driver the LED will use. Something like this -

WiringLED.jpg

Will this work? Will I just fry the driver? Other thoughts?

Jake

donghui

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie here so correct me if I'm wrong.
According your diagram the high setting which is use a 4*7135 board to power up a 2P2S mc-e I wonder how it gonna to work !
First about the 6aa what r u going to do with it, put them in parallel in pairs to get 4.5v is the best for 7135s.
The board is ok to power up the half of the mc-e which is in parallel but with the another half I don't think it gonna work properly, I don't think the 7135 is designed to power up multiple leds in series
Once again, I'm new here as well so correct me if I'm wrong.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened

Another variation to consider is that all of the high current AMC boards are a bunch of 350ma AMCs run in parallel. If you break the feed current to half of them you get a lower current output, if you put a switch in a re-make the connection, you are back up to high current again. ;)

2S2P will give a Vf of 2*3.5v = 7v
6AA will give a voltage of 7.2v
a 0.2v drop - Perfect

Except you may have a Vf of 2*3.1 = 6.2v
AA off the charger will give 6*1.4 = 8.4v

Power dissapated in the board is 2.2v*1400ma= 3.1 watts to heat.:sick:

nwbrewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. So might I be better off just driving this in 4P with 4AA's and 2 1.4amp driver boards in parallel, like people are driving the P7?

Switch positions -> Off -> 1.4amp -> 2.8amp?

Thanks again.

Jake