Thought: One Cell Extender?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that my AW protected 17670s fit in the battery chambers of my SPY007. This led to a thought:

Dave, how about a single-cell extension body?

Pros:
- Much longer runtimes (2x17670...)
- Still fits easily in the hand
- Could use the same pickups as on the bottom of the SPY007 (same posts and attachment mechanism to attach the extension to the body, then the tailcap onto the extension)
- Could possibly even add a SECOND mini picatanny rail

Cons:
- More Ti machining for you!
- More money spent by us!:crackup:

Thoughts?

You could easily extend the lines of the SPY007 into the extension, and as noted above even add a second mini picatinny rail, if desired.

:popcorn:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that my AW protected 17670s fit in the battery chambers of my SPY007. This led to a thought:

Pros:
- Much longer runtimes (2x17670...)
- Still fits easily in the hand
- Could use the same pickups as on the bottom of the SPY007 (same posts and attachment mechanism to attach the extension to the body, then the tailcap onto the extension)
- Could possibly even add a SECOND mini picatanny rail

Cons:
- More Ti machining for you!
- More money spent by us!:crackup:

Thoughts?

You could easily extend the lines of the SPY007 into the extension, and as noted above even add a second mini picatinny rail, if desired.

A deep battery cap idea has been thrown around before but not an extension tube. I will throw it on my list to investigate.

I would like to remind everybody that the STFu converter board runs just fine with rechargeable batteries.

Cheers
Dave

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, just think about the extended runtimes. Even though were talking more weight, I would definetely be down for such an extension !

Plus it would look cool.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my SPY's with CR123 and RCR123's and they both work great. The Spy runs a long time without a battery change. Then when you thinking your low just use the battery meter and you will know what you have left. :twothumbsIts perfect the way it is.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I see all of the opinions and appreciate it.

My thought- removing the tailcap isn't easy to do, especially when in a dark place. I know I'd use a body extension as I can see me using this light A LOT, especially when walking at night, hiking, and camping. The massive runtime with 2x17670 would be welcome.

I use protected 123s in it right now. This SFTu board is amazing, Data! What is the maximum input voltage?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I see all of the opinions and appreciate it.

My thought- removing the tailcap isn't easy to do, especially when in a dark place. I know I'd use a body extension as I can see me using this light A LOT, especially when walking at night, hiking, and camping. The massive runtime with 2x17670 would be welcome.

I use protected 123s in it right now. This SFTu board is amazing, Data! What is the maximum input voltage?
I forget what Wayne told me, I think around 10v.

I can replace the batteries blindfolded with just one hand. :grin2:

Last edited:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A deep battery cap sounds good. Not sure how the latch would work. The length would give it good "thonk" potential.

At 10 volts that would leave out using 4 primaries.