Malkoff
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 317

Thread: Large wave of LunaSol 20's **SOLD OUT **

  1. #211
    Moderator js's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    bernie, it's FAR from the best of those you listed! But, it's maybe worth a look, is all I would say.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

  2. #212
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,140

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    It is one of those rare threads where progress in knowledge is made, where one can learn something new about light and perception. Very important, and rarely seen on CPF these days.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  3. #213

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Hello Don! Got the LS 20 on Friday and the SunDrop came yesterday! What beautifully executed products! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    (my smile has been on high since recieving them, and with a good runtime!)

  4. #214

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by paramecium View Post
    Hello Don! Got the LS 20 on Friday and the SunDrop came yesterday! What beautifully executed products! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    (my smile has been on high since recieving them, and with a good runtime!)
    Only 8 posts and you already have two of the coolest lights available.

    One of these days I'll get the LS20 and a Sundrop.

    I demand pictures!
    Current EDC Lights: Mac Tri EDC 45K 1st Gen. Orange Cerakote, K2-MS, FB1/E1E and ReVo SS | My EDC Items

  5. #215

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by paramecium View Post
    Hello Don! Got the LS 20 on Friday and the SunDrop came yesterday! What beautifully executed products! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    (my smile has been on high since recieving them, and with a good runtime!)
    Matt,

    A smile with good runtime is certainly great news and a worthy goal for all of us; as instigators or recipients. Thanks for the smile you gave me!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

  6. #216
    Flashaholic Long RunTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by paramecium View Post
    Hello Don! Got the LS 20 on Friday and the SunDrop came yesterday! What beautifully executed products! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    (my smile has been on high since recieving them, and with a good runtime!)
    Great Lights you have there, Matt. Thank you Don for brighten my days(nights).
    Last edited by Long RunTime; 01-31-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #217

    Buttrock Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's



    I am really looking forward to my first McGizmo! I would camp out at the mailbox but it's 0 degrees F here.
    Last edited by W8HF; 01-15-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo

  8. #218
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by W8HF View Post


    I am really looking forward to my first McGizmo! I would camp out at the mailbox but it's 0 degrees F here.
    Welcome to CPF!

    Have you checked out JS's review of the LS20? Good reading while you wait for it to arrive...

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=219071
    Last edited by AMRaider; 01-15-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo.

  9. #219

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by AMRaider View Post
    Welcome to CPF!

    Have you checked out JS's review of the LS20? Good reading while you wait for it to arrive...
    I read that and everything else I could find on the LS20 before taking the plunge. And I agree it was great reading.

    Temperature now -12F and still falling
    Last edited by W8HF; 01-16-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Lowered temperature to reflect the fact that Hell is about to freeze over.

  10. #220
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    411

    Talking Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    E-Mail sent...
    Last edited by proline; 01-20-2009 at 12:55 PM.

  11. #221

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Well I for one am disappointed. I paid big bucks to get a hand built light. Don assured me that this light would have tool marks and signs of his own DNA!

    From Don's LunaSol: The Concept post:
    "Every one of them has marks on the front face either from my fingers, the lathe activities or installation and O-ring smudges. Some probably have some of my DNA as well."

    Well I looked and looked and I was at least expecting a bloody fingerprint under the lens! The light has now been sent to the CSI crime lab to attempt to lift some DNA to prove that this LS-20 was indeed built by Don!

    In all seriousness the LS-20 arrived safe and sound today though delayed by the MLK holiday Monday. The fit and finish are superb! The light has a real nice solid feel that instills confidence.

    My EDC for several years has been an Arc-P on my keychain. I just swapped that out in December for a Fenix SS LD01 which is really bright for such a small AAA light and will probably stay on as a backup. I guess I now need to find the best way to carry the LS-20 without losing it. I like the idea suggested elsewhere of using parachute cord to make a tether.

    I'll post my impression of the LS-20 after a couple of weeks of real world use but I can say now that having the nice even flood is really going to be nice for map reading and indoor use.

    Thanks for the great service Don!

  12. #222
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by W8HF View Post
    Well I for one am disappointed. I paid big bucks to get a hand built light. Don assured me that this light would have tool marks and signs of his own DNA!

    From Don's LunaSol: The Concept post:
    "Every one of them has marks on the front face either from my fingers, the lathe activities or installation and O-ring smudges. Some probably have some of my DNA as well."

    Well I looked and looked and I was at least expecting a bloody fingerprint under the lens! The light has now been sent to the CSI crime lab to attempt to lift some DNA to prove that this LS-20 was indeed built by Don!

    In all seriousness the LS-20 arrived safe and sound today though delayed by the MLK holiday Monday. The fit and finish are superb! The light has a real nice solid feel that instills confidence.

    My EDC for several years has been an Arc-P on my keychain. I just swapped that out in December for a Fenix SS LD01 which is really bright for such a small AAA light and will probably stay on as a backup. I guess I now need to find the best way to carry the LS-20 without losing it. I like the idea suggested elsewhere of using parachute cord to make a tether.

    I'll post my impression of the LS-20 after a couple of weeks of real world use but I can say now that having the nice even flood is really going to be nice for map reading and indoor use.

    Thanks for the great service Don!
    That last post started out scary but then seemed to settle down.

    Don has acknowledge my order and we'll see if mine is as scary…
    Last edited by proline; 01-20-2009 at 03:50 PM.

  13. #223

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    You have nothing to fear Proline. I think I may have managed to find one tool mark on mine under the clip that I could probably polish out in 5 minutes but why bother! If you have to stare at the darn thing for 10 minutes to find a tool mark that can only be seen when holding the flashlight at just the right angle then you don't want an EDC but a trophy.

    I was just poking fun at Don's disclaimer and his remark about his DNA being all over these LS-20s.

    I look forward to hearing your impressions when you receive yours. It is by far the finest built flashlight I have ever held let alone owned. I look forward to putting it to some real everyday use.

  14. #224
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by W8HF View Post
    You have nothing to fear Proline. I think I may have managed to find one tool mark on mine under the clip that I could probably polish out in 5 minutes but why bother! If you have to stare at the darn thing for 10 minutes to find a tool mark that can only be seen when holding the flashlight at just the right angle then you don't want an EDC but a trophy.

    I was just poking fun at Don's disclaimer and his remark about his DNA being all over these LS-20s.

    I look forward to hearing your impressions when you receive yours. It is by far the finest built flashlight I have ever held let alone owned. I look forward to putting it to some real everyday use.
    Well, if we could get some DNA, then clone another Don...

  15. #225
    Enlightened JosephK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Got my LunaSol 20 today, and all I can say is WOW. js's review of this light was SPOT ON. (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=219071)

    This light seems to be perfect in every way, it is definitely the EDC to have. The only Con I can come up with is how narrow the main beam is, but even then, with such a tight reflector you would expect that. It's the perfect weight, perfect small size, and it looks REALLY nice.

    I used to switch between 3 EDCs:

    1. Fenix P1D with a Leef body.
    2. Milky SureFire L1X square body.
    3. Stock SureFire Kroma, for those cargo pants days.

    I can safely say that this will replace everything except maybe the Kroma. This is such an amazing little light.

    Thanks again Don! Always a pleasure doing business with ya.

  16. #226
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    411

    Talking Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by proline View Post
    E-Mail sent...
    Got the LunaSol 20 - 1/23/09. Fast shipping.

    Beautifully made. Nice Titanium

    Great Work Don...Thanks again

    In my,"Well, if we could get some DNA, then clone another Don"... and (W8HF's) wisecracking remarks about DNA made earlier,
    I did get some. I found a stray hair between the reflector and the glass. Oooh I wonder what would come of growing a clone out of it?? Probably a sea turtle. Maybe the one that was swimming with the Photon King 2 light.

  17. #227
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,069

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Its great isnt it? I have Don's thumb print on my LS27 reflector.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  18. #228

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

  19. #229
    Moderator js's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Got my LunaSol 20 today, and all I can say is WOW. js's review of this light was SPOT ON. (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=219071)

    . . .
    Well, thanks! Glad the review helped you pick out a light you like!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

  20. #230
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    411

    Red face Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Don, you know we're just poking fun at the various situations that have arisen, don't you ??? This stuff just gives your work extra character.

    I like what you sent me and the little fix up was easy.

    Now PoliceScannerMan having a thumbprint on his LS27 reflector, well now, that is just your certification of authenticity that your the builder...

    And yes, thank you js from me as well...
    Last edited by proline; 01-25-2009 at 02:57 PM.

  21. #231

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Its great isnt it? I have Don's thumb print on my LS27 reflector.
    I am jealous!


  22. #232
    Flashaholic Katdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Mississippi
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    I placed my order yesterday. I have been drooling over the LS 20 since they were first announced anyway, but as usual js's review put me over the edge. Now the hard part....wating for the light to arrive!!!!
    I don't suffer from Flashaholism........I enjoy every minute of it!

    Sic Luceat Lux

  23. #233
    Flashaholic Katdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Mississippi
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    My light came this morning! Very fast shipping. Waiting for dark so I can play with my new toy. I am afraid that I am going to love this light.
    I don't suffer from Flashaholism........I enjoy every minute of it!

    Sic Luceat Lux

  24. #234
    Flashaholic* maxspeeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by Katdaddy View Post
    My light came this morning! Very fast shipping. Waiting for dark so I can play with my new toy. I am afraid that I am going to love this light.
    Nothing to be afraid of. In fact, I'll gaurantee you'll love it. The only thing I'm afraid of is losing my LS27. That would be a very sad day. I still play with my LS27 everynight in the house
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

  25. #235
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Just read this whole thread and am frothing at the mouth for one but have switched to the 18650 power and just love the hp that they deliver. This being said how many lumens does this light put out? Jezz it's good looking---would be right at home in a display case lol!!!

  26. #236
    Flashaholic herrgurka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    E-mail with order sent to Don.

    At little something to carry me through the rest of this winter (well, besides the great conditions for long-distance skating in Stockholm right now :-)

    PS Credits to js whose excellent review of the LunaSol 20 pushed my over the rim!
    Last edited by herrgurka; 02-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.

  27. #237

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    My LS 20 arrived yesterday. Don shipped immediately and the light came quickly. It is very beautiful, feels great and emits wonderful light -- both high and low. I love it. A lot money but once I had it in my hand I forgot about the price .

  28. #238
    Moderator js's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by herrgurka View Post
    E-mail with order sent to Don.

    At little something to carry me through the rest of this winter (well, besides the great conditions for long-distance skating in Stockholm right now :-)

    PS Credits to js whose excellent review of the LunaSol 20 pushed my over the rim!
    Thanks! I hope you love your new LunaSol 20!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

  29. #239
    Flashaholic herrgurka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Thanks! I hope you love your new LunaSol 20!
    I certainly will .

    BTW and highly OT, the LunaSol will complete my mimicry of your EDC as I've been edc:ing a large Sebenza (with Snakewood inlay) for quite some time now. Well, sometimes I prefer a small Sebenza or my small William Henry B10 but I always come back to the large Sebenza....

  30. #240
    Moderator js's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Large wave of LunaSol 20's

    I'm hardly original in EDCing a Sebbie! LOL! But, yeah, I love that knife. Before my EDC was Large Sebbie and SF A2, now it is Large Sebbie and LS20
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •