US, How many lumens

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone guestamate how many lumens an US produces? What surefire does it compare to in output?
Thanks Eric

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is something wrong with my US b/c my 12P with a MN60 Lamp at 225L blows it away there is no comparison.

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
M4 w/HOLA is 350 lumens right? Dano, which reflector do you have?
Just from the pics I`ve seen of the 12pm beam [assumming it is the same as the 12p] that is one bright SOB!! right their with the M6 I thought.
Eric

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The new US will surprise you. Dano has that very same one (I sold it to him)...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't think Streamlight has measurement numbers in lumens for its products, and there is no formula to convert one to another.

I can say that the latest generation US is much brighter than my SF M4 w/HOLA. The latest gen US is brighter than my early gen US, mainly due to reflector design.

The newest US models have a different head/reflector design, mainly with the threads; older and newer Stinger and US reflectors/head assemblies are no longer compatible...

--dan

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...The brightest US, i bought from Mr. B...It has the new head thread design, and the reflector has the half-stipled pattern.

I have four different US/HP heads, and they all have different patterns of "stipling." My first US is a very low serial number, and the beam is good, but not as bright as the latest versions coming out of Streamlight.

Goto my Yahoo pic site: http://photos.yahoo.com/b90a

There's some beam pics on there, but I'm not sure if any US shots are up...

--dan

Big Tex

Enlightened
If the new version is that good, I gotta have one. My older model is a helluva light.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I must have gotten lucky with my US. I have the "new" model with the half stippled reflector, and the threads on the outside of the barrel. The funny thing was that this was the first light that the dealer stocked! I don't know how long the US has been in production, but I thought that the "new" ones had an "orange-peel" type reflector, and not the half stippled one. I am a little confused here, and it is kind of late right now.

Maybe it will all make sense in the morning.....
grin.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Here is a very rough conversion

1 watt = 15 lumens

In some lights it is higher (1:20) and much lower (1:10)

Therefore the 10 watt Ultra Stinger would be 150 lumens.

6 watt Stinger = 90 lum
20 watt SL-35X = 300 lum

I don't own any of the above so maybe someone can support or challange my conversion ratio.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more efficient 8 to 20 watt W/A and Carley lamps aproach 30 Lumens per watt at design voltage. Some exceed 30 with modest overdriving.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Ok,

If we assume that stream light uses 1:25 bulbs. That would result in the following:

Stinger 6W = 150 Lum
U Stinger 10W = 250 Lum
SL-20 10 w = 250 Lum
SL-35 20w = 500 Lum

Is this consistant with people comparisons to SF lights?

I would guess that Streamlight is not overdriving too much for the sake of bulb life. I have heard though that the US is somewhat over driven.

rlhess

Enlightened
Some approximate power and lumen values:

SF E2e 60 lumens about 5W 12 lumens/w
UKE SL6 approx 200 lumens about 10W 20 lumens/w
UKE D8 approx 350 lumens about 18W 19 lumens/w

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you tell if you have the new US mine has a two stage reflector larger dots closer to the bulb and a finer dimple pattern toward the lens. Is this the new or old?

JB

Enlightened
dano or Mr Bulk....

What's the serial number like on the latest US that you've got?