Why is the max battery level 3.3 with new batteries?

greg c

Newly Enlightened
With two new 3 volt batteries it seems like 3.3 is the max battery level reading...can someone explain how that works?

MWClint

Enlightened
With two new 3 volt batteries it seems like 3.3 is the max battery level reading...can someone explain how that works?

from data's video(cant seem to find it now), I believe the reading is the average of the two batteries.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I just did a bettery test, 3.7V. Awesome feature Dave!!!

What is the starting voltage for 2 fresh cells, and the end voltage when the cells die? (For primary and R123's please) :D

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It reads out the average of the two batteries. I find that to be just fine as the two should never vary more than a few hundreds of a volt if they both start together.

A new SF primary will start at ~3.3v and when they get to ~2.8v they will no longer power the higher levels. It takes a long time to use a set of primary batteries in the SPY. About 1.5 hours on high at 1000mA and many many days on low at 2mA. If you set your low down even lower to the power level of a tritium, it will last even longer but remember the computer is still using some power and that does not change. Chevrofreaks battery testing was done with the old DB converter board. It is not super accurate for the STFu but still similar.

Rechargeable batteries are all over the map and I can't speak to yours. I have one set that are 3.7v when new but the battery meter has an upper limit of 3.75v, it can't read higher so if you test 4v rechargeables you will not get an accurate reading when they are fully charged but you will after they run for a while.

This is the video.

Cheers
Dave

<< I recommend Surefire batteries in the SPY >>

Last edited:

greg c

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh thank you sir! I knew the batts were in series and couldn't figure out the relatively low readings...that the battery level meter puts out an average of the two makes it all clear!

-G