Painting GID on reflectors

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi,
I had been wondering for a long time and wanted to ask this really stupid question. I wanted a glow in my light after i switched it off and seems like glow paint works best for it. i have seen people done it in CPF too and was wondering if you paint over the whole reflector or jus the outer and inner rims? Cos this picture did seem like the whole reflector was painted:

CPF_review4a.jpg

another thing is, if i painted the whole reflector, wouldnt it affect the output somehow?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector mostly reflects from the center, but that's usually taken up by the led. If you can paint around the led, do that. If you can paint a little on the base of the reflector, do that. Try an experiment on a 'toy' flashlight that you don't worry about messing with, and let us know how it goes.

d1dd1

Enlightened
I tried GITD spray to give a Mag reflector some peeling, looks and works great.

Sorry I don't have pics atm, but I could take some tomorrow

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see it's like sputtering but with GITD paint, but the GITD paint is not clear. wouldn't that ruin the throw vs clear sputtering?

d1dd1

Enlightened
Yes you loose a lot of throw, the beam is very floody.
It's just some cool looking fun :cool:.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
wow.. u guys really offer a lot of suggestions! thanks a lot :twothumbs
now.. how do i get the LED out of the D10 head :thinking::thinking:
im thinking of doing it to my wee as well but it seems like the front o-ring will be damaged if i pricked it out. any idea if i can get a compatible o-ring for the wee from dx or kaidomain? rob's shipping for the o-ring is too expensive :sigh:

jaydeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I was interested in playing around with some GITD effects myself as well.

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
now.. how do i get the LED out of the D10 head :thinking::thinking:

It's my understanding that disassembling the head on a D10 voids the warranty. :ohgeez: Probably not worth it just for a little glow. I'd either get a slotted piston and a trit or just paint some glow on the bezel ring.

I'm thinking about painting a ring of glow paint on my Ultra-Low Cost Diffuser just for fun next time I have the paint out. No modification to the actual light at all with that.