Spy Questions

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are numerous threads where questions are being asked about different elements of the Spy and it would be fairly difficult to check if your question had already been asked/answered during an earlier exchange.

The Spy has some features pretty unique to the flashlight world and I imagine there will be many more questions as the new wave get aquainted with this cool little light - so lets have a home for them, a SPOC, one stop shop, home of the helpful etc etc.

For lanyard/attachment type questions lets keep 'em in "The Lanyard Thread" and similarly keep Ti care in the Titanium Care & Cleaning Thread.

This is not meant to sap Dave's time - there's a huge amount of info out there already and we can all help by directing each other to various posts threads etc.

Q1 - what is the pale white disc separating the switch knob from the body, what is it made of, is it to reduce friction or perform some other purpose?

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q- The bezel ring on my light rotates; Is this normal?
Q- There is a yellow corona around the center of my beam; Is this normal?

Thanks! :)

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spy007 I received today, does have a barely noticeable yellow corona on all levels,

the bezel on #0350 is rock solid and does not move...

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

That doesn't sound normal to be mate, my first run Spy bezel won't budge.

Little point in me commenting on the "yellow corona" until Spy 2 arrives but advise you put your light down and move away from the white wall sir!

MWClint

Enlightened
The slight yellow corona is normal for U2 bin seouls.

IMO The reflector in the spy seems to mix it better than my ims or khatod
reflectors and the same u2swoh emittors(from the same batch-photonfanatic).
I've put these p4's in everything - Makes for a nice warm beam.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't sound normal to be mate, my first run Spy bezel won't budge.

Little point in me commenting on the "yellow corona" until Spy 2 arrives but advise you put your light down and move away from the white wall sir!

Please ignore Q2. I cannot believe I am admitting this, in a public forum, but Hodsta is correct.

Of course, it could be this wicked little anejo Mrs. Chronos bought for me. Mmmm. It'll add a little color to everything! :)

Thank you MWClint for the information. I am certain you are correct. :twothumbs

As for Q1, it definitely rotates about the window.

Edwood

Enlightened
The slight yellow corona is normal for U2 bin seouls.

IMO The reflector in the spy seems to mix it better than my ims or khatod
reflectors and the same u2swoh emittors(from the same batch-photonfanatic).
I've put these p4's in everything - Makes for a nice warm beam.

So all U2 P4's have a yellow corona? I really like the perfectly uniform neutral tint of the older U Bin P4 in my first gen SPY 007. I'd rather have better tint with slightly less lumens. Although if it really bothered me, I could overdrive the highest level a bit if I really wanted too. But I have other lights that are far brighter for more "wow" factor. ;)

MWClint

Enlightened
So all U2 P4's have a yellow corona? I really like the perfectly uniform neutral tint of the older U Bin P4 in my first gen SPY 007. I'd rather have better tint with slightly less lumens. Although if it really bothered me, I could overdrive the highest level a bit if I really wanted too. But I have other lights that are far brighter for more "wow" factor. ;)

it's only noticable when close up on white walls, and you will only see it if you
are looking for it. With OP reflectors the corona gets mixed out into the swo
tint when more than a few feet away and looks totally white. It's one of my
favorite emittor bins for edc usage.

pauly

Newly Enlightened
Q1 for Chronos, the bezel may need screwing in titeley, the bezel unscrews so you can remove the glass and reflector, it perhaps came a bit loose in the post.:twothumbs

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Pauly, Voice of experience :help:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q- There is a yellow corona around the center of my beam; Is this normal?

Thanks! :)

I am sorry, it should be tight. Push the light into some sticky rubber type material and twist hard. It will set the bezel properly. You can use a thick rubber glove pushed against a hard table top or some used car tires are sticky on the tread but not on the side wall.

If you can't find something sticky enough send me an SASE and I will send you a piece of the good stuff.

When not close up white wall hunting these are the most pure white emitters I have personally ever seen and they are comparably the brightest Seoul too.

Cheers
Dave

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, it could be this wicked little anejo Mrs. Chronos bought for me. Mmmm. It'll add a little color to everything! :)

I'd never heard of anejo before googling it. In the spirit of Dave's gesture if I send you an SASE will you send me some of the good stuff:wave::D

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I am a big tequila fan. Hop on a jet . . . I'll get out the good stuff. :party:

Oh, anejo, magic juice. We've got a great little tequila bar/restaurant in downtown Lewes. Anyone care to join me? Some of the best Tex/Mex I've had outside the Southwest too.

H- PM me an addy and I'll be glad to send you a sample of anejo! The best are somewhat similar to a port with a kick. You'll see what I mean. :duh2:

Back on topic-

Thanks Data- I'll give that a try. It was actually my son (8) who noticed it moved and thought it was odd.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kicking back in the US with good pizza and tequila - sounds a perfect distraction from rainy ol' England.

I have another question - if only to distract us back on topic!

What emitter was in Chevofreakes/7777's Spy005 used in the epic run times tests? (you should sticky that thread Dave:twothumbs)
Has the increase in performance of LEDs been harnessed purely as increased brightness or should we expect longer runtimes also?