Lantern for remote camping area

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for sugguestions for the most efficent type lantern to use at a remote (battery
only) powered camper. I need something that will or can be wired for 12,6 volt or run on any combination of nicad/lion rechargables. It has standard 12v auto bulbs in it now but they are rough on a small battery that only gets charged from my ATVs system once a week or so.
Efficiency is what Im after, dont need alot of light & I think LEDs or Florescents may be my
best bet. I can wire up about any type of battery pack to the camper or light & it dont have to be portable either.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
questions
how many people
how much space to be lighted
what activities are it needed for (reading, working on stuff etc)
what is your budget
would you want a fixed light or portable one
would multiple light levels be better

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
how many people [ just one ]
how much space to be lighted [28 x 8 camper - 20x6 open pourch w/metal roof]
what activities are it needed for (reading, working on stuff etc) [ minimal,mainly enough
to work alittle, less than enough to read by]
what is your budget [depends on how I like the lights & their power requirement]
would you want a fixed light or portable one [either, fixed would be ok]
would multiple light levels be better
[big question, yes right now there are 8 light fixtures thet have 2 or 3 - 12v 10w auto
type bulbs, like the ones used in taillights & the switch will select 1-2 or 3]

The main thing is to get better efficency than a incandesent, I dont need alot of light &
can wire it into the existing fixture or seperately. I only use wiring for lights so I can change
the 12v battery to just about any voltage. I dont use the camper but a few hours a night
and maybe several days a week at most, mainly just a place to get out of the weather
for awhile.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
for one person you don't need a lot of light then... a single high power LED like luxeon 1 or about 40 lumens should suffice. Also a 4 watt fluorescent light would suffice well too which may be a lot easier and cheaper to come by. As for your 12v system they have 8 watt fluorescent lights for under $10 at places like walmart and lowes I think that use 8AAs or.. 12v. You could also even go somewhere that sells cold cathode kits for computers and get CCFL lights and make yourself a light too. they have white kits for about $10 online. Another option is a headlamp too. I enjoy using my headlamps as they don't have to have as much power when the light is already pointed right .