The UKE SL6 reigns supreme!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It really does. Consider these points:

>Uses common longlasting batterys.

>Is on par with a m3t 225 lum. Surefire.

>Invincable.

>Good Looking in a rugged sort of way.

>Sturdy switch unlike the surge which has a wimpy switch.

>Solid Aluminum reflector.

>Simple battery changes.

> CHEAP!!!!

>Reliable.

The light is a bang-for-buck expert and is as nessisary for your collection as the ARC AAA IMHO.

This is just one man's observations TIOLI.

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
NightSun what is the runtime of the SL6 compared to the PT Surge?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my SL6 however the light output is not close to my 12P MN60 225L. The beam is very bright however very tight and has some dark spots. All in all a very nice light at a great price.

Azreal911

Enlightened
hey does this light run on PR type bulbs? if so that'd be great i could use maglite bulbs in this sucker for a good camping light and cheaper bulb replacement as well as more choices from radio shack.

rycen

Enlightened
The Sl6 does not use pr based bulbs.It has a lamp assembly similar to surefire where the bulb and reflector are one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
UKE SL6 6C 7.25V 1.05A 7.6W
SF P90 3xSF123A 7.35V 1.15A 8.4W

My understanding is that the Surefire N2 lamp is the P90 for TurboHeads (same bulb)

Brock's results above suggest that the N2 Lamp in a TurboHead would beat the SL6.

Then of course there's the weight and bulk of the SL6, but you get runtime...

Here's what Brock reviews the SL6:
06-09-00 SL6 by UKE.
This light is very similar to the 4 AA or Q40 except larger in size. It is using 6 C cells and is quite heavy for that reason. The advantage of this light is the life of the batteries for the light output. It is slightly brighter than the [SureFire] D2 with the P61 installed, but will burn 12 times longer. It has a nice tight beam, extremely bright, probably too bright to be used for most "flashlight" needs. This light would make a good primary dive light, or a search light. The light is turned on by flipping a small switch near the head of the light.

Brock's photo of the SL6 shows it to be surprisingly compact...

Al

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree size15s, but only with the right Turbohead my KT-1 is not near as tight as my SL6.

FNG

Enlightened
Will it throw as far as a 500,000 or 1 million CP spotlight?

K-T

*Moderator*
They should produce some kind of a HOLA for that SL6, that would be nice.
grin.gif

Klaus.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will shortly receive my order of potted PR base bulbs from Carley. Included will be the potted Xenon T-2 1/2 bulb #807 rated at 4.8 V 1.60 A 7.68 W and 167 Lumen. I will run this in my PT400, a double barreled 4@ serial C cell light with NiMHs. I expect this to be as bright or brighter, lighter, and shorter than the SL6 with a somewhat wider hotspot. The Lumens per watt is a modest 22, so the efficiency falls short of that of many W/A bulbs in the 9 to 20 Watt range.

Unfortunately, the clear bezel of the PT400 refracts light sideways which is a fatal turn-off to many CPF'ers. My first PT40 from the 1980's has the same clear bezel deficiency.

The PT400 has essentially been replaced by the brighter-in-OEM-form Surge, but the PT400 remains upgradeable with bulb and NiMH.

The 4500 mAh C NiMH C cells that I just bought should provide run times of > 2.5 hours with this bulb.

rlhess

Enlightened
The beauty/curse of the SL6 and the other UKE dive lights is that they run on standard C and D cells (although you can use rechargeables.

I experimented with the 30W lamp for the D8 (it's native with 2 18W lamps, but the 8 alkaline D cells wouldn't provide the current and the 30W lamp was yellower and dimmer than the 18W lamp!

So, I don't think you'll see a HOLA for any alkaline-based light. There are HOLAs for the 4-cell and 8-cell D-cell lights from UKE but they require you to use rechargeables, not alkalines.

I like the common battery and long run time of the UKE lights. The D8's TWO lamps that are brought into focus are quite nice--a great sense of security when you don't want to worry about changing bulbs. It's almost like a backup light--and with 7-8 hours of usable run time on 8 D cells, it's my first choice power fail light for all-around work.

All I need now are more power failures <smile>.

I started another thread about the need for an Ultra Stinger in addition to the SL6. So far I have two votes for getting one and none for not...but it's pricey and you have to dork with rechargeables that are often in need of charging or replacement when you need them--and I have the Brinkmann MaxMillion Q-beam in the home office to look outside at night--that probably beats the US.

Oh and the SL6 is shorter than the US --by almost four inches it's 8x2.75x1.875"

Cheers,

Richard

Brock

Flashaholic
The SL6 is a nice light, I used it and the Surefire M6 the other night (we had a tornado come through). I gave the SL6 to my brother, it was still raining it was fine, but the M6 took the rain fine also. The M6 with MN20 (the dimmer lamp) is noticeably brighter then the SL6; but then again the M6 is about 10 times the price. The SL6 should run about 5 hours. The biggest drawback on the SL6 for me is the weight; it is a heavy little bugger, but much cheaper to run then the M6.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is the Tec600 as bright as the SL6? the both
seem to have same spec.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by LemondKid:
Is the Tec600 as bright as the SL6? the both
seem to have same spec.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the SL6, not the 600 and I have always respected PTec's efforts but I much prefer the configuration of the UKE SL4 and SL6 to the 400 and 600. The UKE lights have superior ergonomics to the PTecs whose Cyclops-like bezel creates an awkwardness the UKEs manage to avoid.

The 600 has an optional wide reflector which could prove useful if its regular beam is as narrow as its little brother's.

Brightnorm