• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

looking for one XP-E unmounted.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made small 8mm round MCPCB for the Rebel and for the Cree XP-E LEDs. I don't have any XP-E and am looking for one to test I made the MCPCB correctly before putting them online. It doesn't have to be any particular bin code nor the highest flux. I am only looking to solder it onto the MCPCB and verify the footprint is correct.

Here is a picture of the two MCPCBs. They are 1mm thick, 8mm diameter which is the same diameter of the black plastic part of a regular Luxeon LED.

t_IMG_0203.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering how the testing on the XP-E is going? I will likely buy one, but would like to know some information about it first:

is the heat pad electrically isolated from the terminals?
is there any material between the heat pad and the aluminum substrate?

and for kicks, what does your test setup look like?

Thanks!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mounted one the other day. I had to use solder paste to mount the LED.

The XPE and the Nichia ???136 LED are similar in size and mechanical construction to the Rebel LED and all three have similar focal points. I tested the McR10R and McR12R on all three and they all focused the same.

As with any MCPCB all connections are isolated from the aluminum core. The center pad as shown in the picture is only used to mount the LED and to conduct heat to the MCPCB.

The two thinner strips in the picture connect to the pads on either side.

Currently I only have wires attached to the MCPCB and am using a power supply with current limiting set to 30mA to power the LED so it doesn't generate any heat.

I'll take a picture when I get a chance and post it here.

Wayne

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I was just thinking of removing the isolation between the center heat pad and the aluminum substrate. I'll have to take another glance at the datasheet, but I don't remember seeing that the thermal pad is electrically connected to anything. I might just be paranoid about blowing my LED though :grin2: