Help to modify Osram Dot-It LED to mains

Garrob

Newly Enlightened
Newby to this forum, thanks in advance.

I have several (6) Osram Dot-It Linear LED lights. All are identical with 3 LED's and battery powered 3 x 1.5v totaling 4.5v. The 3 LED's are in parallel and there is a resistor (looks like 24ohm) in series.

I wish to install these in a display cabinet and be run of mains power in Australia 240v. Is this possible with an of the shelf plug pack transformer with 4.5v output???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newby to this forum, thanks in advance.

I have several (6) Osram Dot-It Linear LED lights. All are identical with 3 LED's and battery powered 3 x 1.5v totaling 4.5v. The 3 LED's are in parallel and there is a resistor (looks like 24ohm) in series.

I wish to install these in a display cabinet and be run of mains power in Australia 240v. Is this possible with an of the shelf plug pack transformer with 4.5v output???

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes, you can actually use those cheap cellphone
charger plugs. Most are meant to run from 110-220v
out of the box. Take a trip down to your local cellphone
store. Ask them for an extra adapters that they may
have lying around from demos and such. You could
probably pick them up for pretty cheap.
The resistor values can be calculated here:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

:poof:
Robert M.

Hazman

Newly Enlightened
I'd offer to design the order in which you connected all the LED's, but it looks like that site has it all under control, mainly just because it's asking for the figures that I would.

When you purchased the LED's you should have a piece of paper that came with them, it is a data sheet for the LED, it should specify anything you need to know. Otherwise, you may be able to look that up on the website of the company that you got them from(e.g. tandy).

Old mobile phone chargers are a very good source of a small amount of power. However if that avenue doesn't work, you can also go to Tandy or ****Smith Electronics and purchase adapters for somewhere around $20.

Good luck.

Garrob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Hazman for your offer.

The only info I have on the Osram Dot It 3x LED lamp is that it consumes .3 of a watt. It only has one resister in the unit which I think is 24ohms.

Thanks again.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Hazman for your offer.

The only info I have on the Osram Dot It 3x LED lamp is that it consumes .3 of a watt. It only has one resister in the unit which I think is 24ohms.

Thanks again.

Just replace that 24ohm resistor with a 100ohm
one of about 1/2 watt and should be just fine
when running from a 5v adapter. Or, if you get a
12v adapter, setup the leds in series and use a
120ohm 1/2 watt resistor.

www.Digikey.com is a good source for parts too :twothumbs

:poof:
Robert M.