Malkoff
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more!

Default Re: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Got mine from Bugoutgear.... all went very well. I would buy from them again. I LOVE the warm tint LED!
    +1 on the excellent service from BOG. But I must admit I prefer the standard tint LED.

The Jet III-Military is quite the flashlight... I think they may have set something of a standard with this model.
    I hope not. Allow me to explain.... When I opened the box from BOG, containing my Jet-III Military, I was very happy with what I saw. When I held it in my hand, I could not believe how uncomfortable it was! The clip really got in the way; too thick. (Not to be confused with too wide). It surprised the Hell out of me. It reminded me why I still prefer to try out lights at B&M shops, before buying.

My Eagletac P10A has the same clip design. I tried out a Surefire E1B a few months ago at a B&M shop. Both are very comfortable in my hand. The Jet-III Military is a completely different story. Even rotating the light around in my hand could not produce a comfortable position.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the light itself. It would be like being unhappy with a Corvette.... due to a lack of fuel economy. It just isn't comfortable, in my hands. Hopefully I'll get used to it. If not, perhaps I'll donate it to the next Christmas CPF Give-away.

It's rare for me to hold a light that is uncomfortable in my hands, I really hope such lights don't become more common. It's a bit surprising that no one else has had the same issue with this light.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Default Re: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    [...]
    The clip really got in the way; too thick. (Not to be confused with too wide). It surprised the Hell out of me. It reminded me why I still prefer to try out lights at B&M shops, before buying. [...]
    Yeah, I had the same feeling. Every time I grabbed that light, I had to "rotate" it in my hand a couple of times to find a pleasent position. The clip of the JetIII-Pro is way better ... I donīt need two clipping options, bezel up is enough for me.

I removed the clip meanwhile ... without itīs fine . But the JetIII-M bothers me in another ergonomic aspect: The switch button sits too deep in the tailcap. Thatīs fine for tailstanding, but a more easy accessible switch would have been the better solution for my needs.

But it is still fine light ... Thought of selling my JetIII-M, because it got a bit "redunant" next to my JetIII-Pro and M1X, but I didnīt had the heart to give it away so far .

The clip really got in the way; too thick. (Not to be confused with too wide).
    Just take the clip off -- it's easy and takes about 2 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the light itself. It would be like being unhappy with a Corvette.... due to a lack of fuel economy.
    BTW -- I understand Corvettes get pretty good fuel economy -- something on the order of 25 MPG on the highway and 16 or so around town. Not as good as a Yugo, but still...

To: rantanplan & KD5XB ~

Taking the clip off wouldn't be difficult, but the fact that it has a clip is one of the main reasons why I bought it. (Love those clip-carried lights).

I'll try to get a conventional clip from a different JetBeam model. And just swap out the clip.

*Does anyone know if Surefire clips can be installed on JetBeam lights?

I have a seldom-used E1E. I'm thinking that both lights would benefit with each other's clips in place.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

As with pretty much all products, there is no single perfect product in every way, for all applications.

As for clips, yeah, I don't like clips on any of my flashlights, really. I agree the clip is a bit bulky, when it's on the light, I rotate the light so the clip is on the open side of the hand... as I pretty much do with any clip-equipped light. It is versatile being bi-directional. And if the clip isn't needed or important to a user (as in my case) it's easily removed. I've removed the clip from my Jet II-M and I really like is without the clip, which I don't need anyway.

The Jet III-M wonderfully meets the needs of an emergency preparedness or camp light, or military use exceptionally well.. with the 200 hour runtime, super low-low output, great UI, signaling, sos, ability to tailstand, durability, ability to use 2 primaries, 2 rechargeables, an 18650, a 17670, great throw, nice spill, different reflector options, etc.

But that doesn't make it perfect for all applications. That's partly why we all have so many different lights! I would not EDC the Jet III-M, as I have other lights, smaller single cell, better suited for that, like my E1B. And for personal defense use, room sweeping, etc. I much prefer a P7 head and a far protruding momentary button, so I have a different light for that.

For me the Jet III-M is primo for going in my bugout bag, on camping trips, is primary light for power failures, and great for general purpose applications. It's actually kind of nice that it's not perfect for all applications, otherwise I wouldn't have good reason to buy other lights!

Does anyone know if tail caps from other JetBeam lights could be used on the Jet III-M for times when a protruding momentary button is desired and tailstanding isn't needed? Being able to switch that out at times would make the light even more versatile.
    Last edited by DHart; 01-30-2009 at 11:08 AM.

ooops... nevermind...
    Last edited by DHart; 01-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.

hello guys from Greece !!!

I did a lot of reading for this flashlight and i decided to buy it !
    Yesterday I received one from an ebay seller !
    Everything was in order,nice package including 2 sealed cr123a's
    Well,i put the batteries and worked perfectly !
    low mode also worked ...

after some hour i tried again to play with it,and it was alright,i was ready for starting exploring the ui

but at the third try the flashlight never lighted !

the only thing that maybe? was dangerous ,was to try a 18650 battery
    for the second time,because the first it did'nt light up the flashlight,so
    i tried for a second time to check,because the 18650 is new,and fully charged ...is possible to burned any circuitry ?

I tried the flashlight with a head from another flashlight(holding it in place with my hands..) and it worked...so i guess the clicky switch is ok ...

any ideas ?

(the seller kindly responded to me,to replace the batteries with fresh ones ...Of course i'll do that,but..the included batteries were sealed and new,i put them in another flashlight and they worked perfect...)

help me please...I didn't enjoy my new light not even for 5 full minutes !!

(excuse my english)
    Last edited by leonpower; 02-26-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leonpower View Post
    the only thing that maybe? was dangerous ,was to try a 18650 battery
    for the second time,because the first it did'nt light up the flashlight,so
    i tried for a second time to check,because the 18650 is new,and fully charged ...is possible to burned any circuitry ?
    A single 18650 is lower voltage than 2xCR123A, so is generally safer in most lights. And the few lights that I've seen that have blown a fuse (usually on primaries) typically still light up, just with reduced output or lack of regulation.

You seem to have confirmed that the switch is still working. I would verify the light also doesn't work on 2xCR123A. And then contact the seller again to see if you can arrange a return, since the light is clearly non-functional. If that doesn't work, I suggest trying JetBeam directly for warranty service.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I just had the opportunity to read this review. Your usual great job Eric. Your wealth of work is truly appreciated. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS SELFBUILTS REVIEWS TO CLICK THE DONATION BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF HIS POSTS!

I'm finding the Jetbeams harder and harder to resist. I especially like the Stainless Steel at both ends of this light for protection. An appreciated feature for anyone with butter fingers. Most of my lights have dents/scratches at one end or the other.

I know this light is around 10mm longer than both my PD3-Q5 and PD30 and a little bigger in diameter, but I would also assume it throws a bit farther.

Anyway this light is now listed at having a Hybrid reflector, apparently released after the unit you reviewed. I would like to hear from anyone who has the Hybrid reflector this light now ships with and what their impressions are. I am thinking about purchasing this light next week.

Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 02-27-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

@selfbuilt,
    thanks for the answer,the light does not work also on 2xcr123a
    the seller said yes for returning,the problem of course is the postal costs,since greece to hong-kong maybe are to big for a 65$ light.Any way I check them...

something else,could i replace only the led ?
    is there a shop that sell compatible led's or i have to contact jetbeam ?

Wink2 Re: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more

Of the three Jetbeam lights I have had (III M, III Pro, III Pro ST) the M is the only one that I have inductor whine on. It occurs between about 10%-40% and 60%-90% light levels. Is this common or am I just the lucky one?
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

Hitthespot... the stainless rings fore and aft are definitely indicators of the build quality and attention to detail that Jet put into this light.

I have a hybrid reflector in mine. And the warm emitter. The light throws exceptionally well, even a little better than my Malkoff M60. The color of the light is amazingly incandescent looking, colors of objects appear very natural with this emitter. Brown bark dust looks brown. The beam has some sharply apparent cree rings, which don't detract from the capability of the beam, but if you would prefer reduced cree rings and will pay with slightly less throw for that, then get the OP reflector. Either way, great light. I use mine nightly as a soft ceiling bounce candle after my wife drifts off to sleep but I'm surfing the forum on my laptop! The IBS and tailstand capability make this a really versatile light. And on an 18650 it seems to run forever before a recharge. Also runs on two 16340s, but with the same output. Of course two primaries will work as well, but I never use primaries in this light.

something else,could i replace only the led ?
    is there a shop that sell compatible led's or i have to contact jetbeam ?
    No, the LED is not likely the fault - it will be on the circuit. The whole circuit would have to be replaced, which is more work than an emitter swap. Besides, JetBeam doesn't make the circuit available. RMA is really your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76 View Post
    Of the three Jetbeam lights I have had (III M, III Pro, III Pro ST) the M is the only one that I have inductor whine on. It occurs between about 10%-40% and 60%-90% light levels. Is this common or am I just the lucky one?
    No problem on mine, but of course inductor whine is highly variable.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I have a hybrid reflector in mine.
    Thanks for the input DHart ... I haven't seen the hybrid reflector myself, so am not able to comment. As a general rule, I like smooth reflectors for max throw - but in JetBeam's case, their OP retains nearly as much throw as their SMO, but does a great job on removing rings.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I'll be able to compare pictures and beamshots of smooth, OP, and hybrid in a few days. I'll post this early next week.

As for the aftermarket UCL lens, I've become disappointed in it. While switching between reflectors and bezel rings, the outside of the lens began break off tiny shards around the very edge. This wasn't something visible, but it did worry me about ruggedness of the lens against breaking. But later, with multiple cleanings I went through the A/R coating, which shows up as whitish spots and grows each wipe. Later during another reflector change, I dropped the flashlight 1 inch onto the UCL lens. Now it's broke.

I'm back to the stock lens, and I won't be getting another UCL lens. This is opposite what I was saying weeks ago. The stock lens doesn't crack around the edges or get foggy after cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by EngrPaul View Post
    I'll be able to compare pictures and beamshots of smooth, OP, and hybrid in a few days. I'll post this early next week.
    That would be much appreciated! I was about to pull the trigger on an OP reflector but I think I'll wait to see the comparison to the hybrid.
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

@selfbuilt,
    since Greece to Hong-Kong maybe are to big for a 65$ light.
    You got a Jet IIIM for $65? Wow, that sounds like a heckuva price! Mine was $100 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76 View Post
    I can't hear anything from mine, but 20+ years on a military flight line may have killed my hearing in that frequency range.

As for the aftermarket UCL lens, I've become disappointed in it. While switching between reflectors and bezel rings, the outside of the lens began to break off tiny shards around the very edge. This wasn't something visible, but it did worry me about ruggedness of the lens against breaking. But later, with multiple cleanings I went through the A/R coating, which shows up as whitish spots and grows each wipe. Later during another reflector change, I dropped the flashlight 1 inch onto the UCL lens. Now it's broke.
    Wow! I hadn't heard of this happening before, but I haven't replaced the lens in my Jet III M -- only on my Dorcy 200 lumen thing. It seems to be fine on the Dorcy. The front of the Jetbeam light just seems a little too hard to unscrew, so I'm leaving that one alone.

DHart, thanks for your opinions.

EngrPaul, I too will wait with anticipation for your comparisons of the different reflectors. However, I was not aware you could choose? The Bugoutgear site says the M now ships with Hybrid reflector, there is no mention of any other reflector. Of course I could have missed something?

Anyway at least I've stirred some interesting discussion. I glad because I'm seriously considering this light next week.

Thanks

Bill
    Albert Einstein

Bill,

I have the early Jet-III-M and both OP & SMO reflectors.

I also have a new Jet-III-M hybrid on the way.

They dropped $12, so I had to do it.

BOG is selling the reflectors separately if you want to change the one that is in your light. I think I may try an OP to smooth the rings out a bit. They don't really bug me, but if the throw is nearly the same, sure, I would prefer no rings.

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/jereas.html

BOG also sells a tool to remove the bezel ring. I use the tool sold by WalMart which is used to remove watch backs... works just fine on bezel rings.

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/bereto1.html

BTW, the stainless bezel ring on the Jet III M also screws onto Solarforce L2 heads, if you have a Solarforce crenelated bezel ring you want to get gone (I do) and replace with a nice low profile stainless steel rim... and BOG sells them too!

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/ststreri.html
    Last edited by DHart; 02-28-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Bill,

I have the early Jet-III-M and both OP & SMO reflectors.

I also have a new Jet-III-M hybrid on the way.

They dropped $12, so I had to do it.
    Thats great. If there isn't really that much difference between the Op and SMo (as most have said) and the Hybrid is somewhere inbetween, then I'm sure I'll just go with the Hybrid. I would like to wait for your opinion of the three, so again let us know as soon as you receive.

Thanks

bill
    Albert Einstein

Darn, I literally picked up a Jet-III from BOG a couple of days before they dropped $12.

I purchased the hybrid model with the warm tint option. Although it still have the CREE rings, it's not that bad.

For those who want to see what a difference the warm emitter makes, here are some beamshots of my Jet III M with warm emitter & hybrid reflector... compared to other lights... the color rendition with the warm emitter is incredibly incandescent-like.

Jet III M - warm emitter, hybrid reflector

Malkoff M60

Romisen RC-F4 Q5
    Last edited by DHart; 02-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.

That is a lot warmer than I thought. I thought it was just on the warm side of LED white. It really does look like an incand bulb. I wish I could see that in person.

Thanks DHart

Bill
    Albert Einstein

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

From looking at those pictures the Romisen RC-F4 Q5 looks like the brightest of the 3, I still want a JetBeam III-M though, without the warm tint

Quote Originally Posted by d1live View Post
    From looking at those pictures the Romisen RC-F4 Q5 looks like the brightest of the 3, I still want a JetBeam III-M though, without the warm tint
    Yeah, for the money, that $22 Romisen RC-F4 is a heck of a great light. I leave it in the glovebox of my car as a backup in case whatever other lights I have with me aren't enough. I do much prefer the versatility of the Jet III M, though... and of course that doesn't come for free. And I don't want to leave the Jet in the glovebox of my car all the time.

As far as I can tell, the hybrid reflector is basically the same as a smooth reflector, just rougher machining. I get the exact same beam as a smooth.

The new light is in the front on the next two pictures. It's silvery instead of chocolately. The Jetbeam logo is also dingy. The tailcap anodizing is crackled. I like my original light better....

Natural Lighting (Pretty accurate)

Flash Lighting (puts a little too much red into the picture hue)
    Last edited by EngrPaul; 03-03-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks for the nice review selfbuilt. I purchased this light two days ago really like it.

The machining on mine is excellent. I cant stress this enough. The feel while manipulating the head and tailcap are top notch.

And to jetbeam: Id like to see the following changes made to the light.
    Put a quality clip on the light that will allow for deep pocket carry.
    Alot of companys don't do this and I have no idea why. Also beef up the
    thickness of the swich boot.

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

All this talk about JetBeams I finally BROKE down and ordered a Jet III-M for myself, delivery set for Friday (same day as the Tiablo A9) Ill be looking forward to heading to the farm were its really dark and trying these out along with the Romisen's I ordered last week. Great reviews, keep up the great work .

I just found out that a salvaged switch boot from a surefire g2 will fit perfect in the military.
    The surefire boot is very robust.

Enlightened

Mine will be here Friday also. Looking forward to getting it. I have gone hog wild this week.....

I have gotten a P3D Q5, M20, T25-T, TK11, and now the JetIII-M all in one week. Along with some 18650's, RCR's, and a charger. Now I'm looking for some single cellers