Imalent
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more!

Default Re: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more

Quote Originally Posted by 154CM View Post
    Thanks for the nice review selfbuilt. I purchased this light two days ago really like it.
    Interesting -- you mean you found a store that stocks them???

Default Re: JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more

KD5XB, I purchased it from bugoutgearusa.

Oh! The way you said "I purchased this light..." I just figured you must have found it in a store on the rack.

I wish B&M stores sold fenix, jetbeam and others in stores, well maybe as long as they kept up the current quality. Prices would come down some because of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by KD5XB View Post
    Interesting -- you mean you found a store that stocks them???
    If you are in Houston, Texas there is a store in the North of Houston that stocks almost every popular LED light in the market.
    Thats where I bought my 2 Ra Clicky's, Jet-III M, Nitecore Extream, and my PD20. Good people they are willing to work out with you.

I hope I dont get in trouble for this ... Sorry Mods Hopefully I didnt brake a rule.

Well, this excellent review, and the ability to compare other flashlights via selfbuilt's other excellent reviews, as well as all the praise in this thread, have convinced me to choose the Jet-III M, but bug out doesn't have the Q5/cool version in stock. Another site I found (manventure outpost) also has the Q5 on backorder. Any other good sites that may have the Jet-III M in this particular flavor? Not so crazy about the ebay route since they all seem to have to ship directly from Hong Kong.

Nearly two years ago, I created a thread that listed a bunch of B&M shops in New York City that sold quality lights. Made the topic due to a bunch of threads popping up in which CPFers mentioned coming into NYC for vacation, and wanting to know where they could go for kick-@$$ lights.

No rule against mentioning the name of a B&M shop that sells quality lights.

So.... Could you mention the name of the shop. (As well as the address and their number, if you have it. For most folks, still easier to order online. But I'm sure those CPFers in & around Houston would appreciate the info).
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by XD9 View Post
    I hope I dont get in trouble for this ... Sorry Mods Hopefully I didnt brake a rule.
    You are not in trouble at all, and you didn't break a rule. As Monocrom says, there is no harm at all in mentioning the name of a store or dealer if it crops up in the natural course of a thread.
    Resistance is futile...

Sweet!

Well the place is call TXTACTICALGEAR.COM but there site is not up and running yet it will be soon or so they told me last I was there :P

There retail front is inside a very cool shooting range in North Houston call Shiloh Shooting Range.. Thats how I found out about them... I went shooting and next thing you know I looked out the exit door and they where there with a cool looking display!.. If you don't buy a light you will get a kick out of the display for sure! HAHAHA! But for sure they will work with you! When I bought my lights they gave me free batteries and at some point discounts! (I am not sure if they are still doing the discounts but I know they are still offering free batteries with any light purchase)

Any ways here is there information...

TXTACTICALGEAR.COM
    12703 Shiloh Church Road
    Houston, TX 77066
    INSIDE SHILOH SHOOTING RANGE
    Toll Free: 1-888-258-5097
    Local: 713-344-1057

Good luck guys!

Enlightened

Got my JetIII-Millitary Friday. I love the light.

But it Died Sunday. I sent it back to BOG yesterday. Sure hope they get me another one quickly.

Great light though, I'm sure I just got a bad one. The led got to flickering and then went out. After I would let it sit it would work again but in a few minutes to a few seconds it would act up again. Just a bag light I'm sure.

Throw is great and I like the standard tint. I myself actually like the clip. Slips over my front pocket easliy with the light up.

Mine does that occasionally -- but new batteries always fix it.

Just got the JetBeam M in the warm tint today from BOG. I am very happy with it since it has several features I've had a hard time finding together:

1. Warm tint
    2. Can set a second level for longer run time
    3. Will run on 18650 with plus of running on two 123-sized batteries.
    4. Well-made
    5. Clickie

But I have one question about this light. It may be a flaw, or just the way this light's beam is supposed to be with a smooth reflector, maybe someone here can tell me. There are the Cree rings, similar to the beams SelfBuilt posted, but the central hot spot is a little more diffuse around the edge, and the very center has a dimmer, yellowish level of light, clearly seen, even from 20 yards on the side of the house. So the very center beam, which on Selfbuilt's beamshots look like one even spot, on mine has a slight but noticeable donut hole.

I cleaned everything and made sure the reflector was seated properly. Could it be that the LED isn't at the right height? I tried turning the LED module, using tweezers in the two little holes on the battery side, but it wouldn't budge. If this is normal for this light, I can probably live with it, everything else is so great. Maybe get an OP reflector, or a home-built diffuser of some sort I can take off quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoLights View Post
    I cleaned everything and made sure the reflector was seated properly. ... Maybe get an OP reflector, or a home-built diffuser of some sort I can take off quickly.
    Sorry to hear you have a donut hole. As you can see from my pics in this review, mine was resolved by re-seating the reflector. It's possible an OP reflector might help even things out for you - for a comparison of what the beams may look like, check out my Jet-III ST review. Although the ST reflectors are smaller than the M, you can at least see the difference between smooth and OP side-by-side.

As for a diffuser, the new Olight M20 diffuser could possibly fit. Both lights have a 1-1/4 inch bezel opening. But I don't have one to test.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Sorry to hear you have a donut hole. As you can see from my pics in this review, mine was resolved by re-seating the reflector. It's possible an OP reflector might help even things out for you - for a comparison of what the beams may look like, check out my Jet-III ST review. Although the ST reflectors are smaller than the M, you can at least see the difference between smooth and OP side-by-side.

As for a diffuser, the new Olight M20 diffuser could possibly fit. Both lights have a 1-1/4 inch bezel opening. But I don't have one to test.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I left a message with BOG, to see about a fix or an exchange.

Unenlightened

Does anyone know if there are filters available for this light? I would like to order one, but need a green filter and didn't see anything listed on Jetbeam's site. Are there any other brands that would fit? Thanks.

Well - got mine today. Very nice build and seemingly a nice beam (very hard to tell in my office during the day), but it stopped working almost immediately.

Is there something...toxic..about Tenergy RCR123As?? I ask because this flashlight is meant to replace my Surefire 9P which also inexplicitly stopped working.

Speaking of those batteries - I had also purchased that Olight battery sleeve but they are too thick to fit in it. The good news is that they don't rattle in the flashlight.

Seriously though, am I screwing something up by using these batteries??
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html

If you want the most reliable RCR123 cells, get AW brand. Tenergy cells can sometimes be Hit or Miss.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Thanks, Monocrom. I'll look into them. These batteries had been dependable to date, with darn good shelf life.

But so as not to make anyone nervous about the flashlight itself, I'll report that when I got home and put in some other Tenergy RCRs, the flashlight worked fine. Got to use it out back to change out some lights tonight. Great flashlight!

Definitely nice that these Tenergy's don't need the sleeve to avoid rattling. I guess some others must run a bit thinner.
    Last edited by HouseofG; 03-16-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Just an FYI: Duracell and Panasonic CR123A batteries fit perfectly in the Olight sleeve.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
    Does anyone know if there are filters available for this light? I would like to order one, but need a green filter and didn't see anything listed on Jetbeam's site. Are there any other brands that would fit? Thanks.
    I've had several discussions with JetBeam about producing filters and diffusers. The last time I spoke with them about it, which was about 6 months ago, they stated that they were actively pursuing it.

Send them email directly stating your interest. It can't hurt to let them know that there is a demand.

The Jet-III M is a 33.5mm head diameter, which may work with other brands of filters, depending on tolerances. The PentagonLight F2 Green Filter, for example, claims to fit a 31.75mm bezel size, meaning if it had 1.75mm of extra room, it would fit the Jet-III M. You'd probably want to try fitting one before buying, in this case.

No SureFire filter is close enough in size to fit without you needing to use spacers.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 656nm View Post
    The Jet-III M is a 33.5mm head diameter, which may work with other brands of filters, depending on tolerances.
    Olight has recently released a diffuser and red filter for the M20 that may fit (the bezel opening is very similar to the Jet-III M). I have not tested these, so don't know if they would work. Batteryjunction carries the M20 accessories, and other vendors may be as well.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoLights View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I left a message with BOG, to see about a fix or an exchange.
    Hope this post correctly. first time posting. I have the same problem. I emailed BOG.

Here is what I wrote them:

"I have recently purchased a Jet-III Military/LE. My order number is blackforce-4500. Upon receiving the item I notices that the LED die is set off center and there is pronounced donut hole around the center beam. I have checked the CPF forum and have seen beam shots that do not display this. Is it possible to exchange my item for one that has a centered LED die and no donut hole around the center beam."

Here is their response:

"Lance,

This is due to the smoothness of the reflector. The less orange peel in the reflector the more you will see this. The LED is not off centered, but rather how Cree makes their dies. You can purchase an OP reflector, which will smooth out your beam pattern. Please let us know if you would like one.

Thank you,
    BugoutGearUSA.com"

I read on the Olight M20 thread that a few went out with off-centered LEDs, but Battery Junction replaced them with centered LEDs.

I guess JetBeams get their LEDs from a place with less QC.

Enlightened

I have an R2 Bin headed my way... I am not that knowledgeable about lights but the R2 bin is brighter right?

-Zach

Not trying to be rude of smarta$$, but it seems the JetBeam-3M is bright enough already!

Or are you a hot-rodder?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by KD5XB View Post
    Not trying to be rude of smarta$$, but it seems the JetBeam-3M is bright enough already!

Or are you a hot-rodder?

not a hot rodder, just a newb who does not know any better =D

-Zach

Enlightened

To answer your question (and not be a smarta$$) Yes the R2 should be brighter and for only the $5.00 difference to me it would be what I would buy.

But, in use you most likly wouldn't see the difference. Maybe in a side by side between the Q5 version vs the R2 version you might see the R2 is ever so slightly brighter but in actual use maybe not.

Someone who already has the Q5 version wouldn't see enough of a difference to justify the price of upgrading.

Enjoy you light, it's a nice one

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by sardian
    Someone who already has the Q5 version wouldn't see enough of a difference to justify the price of upgrading.

Enjoy you light, it's a nice one
    Thanks! thats what i figured, i cant wait to get it!

-Zach

Just got this from BOG today.

R2 bin with low profile crenulated bezel.
    PS. I order the hybrid reflector but the light was shipped with a OP reflector and note saying that hybrid is discontinued.
    Last edited by jzelek; 03-25-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Novatac 120T; Surefire ED2L; 6PD (3SD R2 WC); G3L; 9P (1SM-2 R2 WH), Jetbeam IIIM R2 and Derelight DBS V3 (3SM MC-E).

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jzelek View Post
    Just got this from BOG today.

R2 bin with low profile crenulated bezel.
    PS. I order the hybrid reflector but the light was shipped with a OP reflector and note saying that hybrid is discontinued.
    Wow, I like that bezel. It looks much better than the huge klingon one ;-) Does that bezel show up in the beam?

I have hopes mine will be here tomorrow.

Its not dark out here yet but a ceiling test showed a perfect circle.

Also the light came with red O-rings (even the spares) that alot of people perfer over the black ones.
    Novatac 120T; Surefire ED2L; 6PD (3SD R2 WC); G3L; 9P (1SM-2 R2 WH), Jetbeam IIIM R2 and Derelight DBS V3 (3SM MC-E).