Angryfox        
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819

Thread: Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

Default Re: Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

Quote Originally Posted by HIDSGT View Post
    I think its comical how under powered these are vs. how over priced and heavy they are. a whopping 3000 lumens at only 10 lbs smh lol on sale for only $6000!!!! I guess they are classics tho.
    It's almost as if there are other things that matter that aren't just lumens!!11!1! WOW!!1!

Flashaholic*

I think its comical how under powered these are vs. how over priced and heavy they are. a whopping 3000 lumens at only 10 lbs smh lol on sale for only $6000!!!! I guess they are classics tho.
    Overpriced is relative term. There aren't many HID lights that have gone through the military approval process which adds to the price. I'd never have reason to mount a light to a M2, 20mm recoilless rifle or 40mm launcher. If I did, I'm sure the Hellfighter would function just fine.

10 pounds weight? Hellfighter 1 lights bare are maybe 3.5 pounds. Only style cables add weight and so does having two BB2590 or 5590 batteries.

I don't know how Surefire is treating customers now, but they've completely gone through 3 of my lights replacing seals, gaskets and a battery on my Hellfighter 4 light for the price of shipping.

I'm unaware of any other company that offers the service that Surefire did for purchasers of used lighting equipment.

I couldn't get Xeononics to sell me a battery for my Night Hunter 1 that I purchased new 2 years earlier.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    I couldn't get Xeononics to sell me a battery for my Night Hunter 1 that I purchased new 2 years earlier.
    They (Xenonics) are gone now about a year, maybe more.
    Last edited by XeRay; 12-15-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    They (Xenonics) are gone now about a year, maybe more.
    Ray, I understand that. They underwent a few legal name changes before failing to garner a major military contract. Then they went bust.

I purchased my Night Hunter just prior to them switching over to NiMH batteries which only happened for a year before the lithium battery was made standard.

Their customer service was the pits. When I called about the lead acid 20v battery, they told me they only get them in once a year. I ended up making a pack with 18650 lithium cells as well as getting a RC hobby pack.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

There are many factors that go into coming up with a price. In the case of the Hellfighter, first would be making the entire light rugged enough to stand up under battlefield conditions when mounted on the guns it is designed for. Greater cost for parts and a great deal of development cost to test all the permutations. Next big cost factor is convincing the government that it will perform as specified. If you have never looked into what it takes to get something MIL-SPEC certified, do so. It is very interesting. Remember the fuss over $400 hammers a few years ago? Some idiot slapped a MIL-SPEC requirement on a procurement for a regular hammer, and the extra cost of complying is what drove the cost that high. Third, and probably just as important, is Surefire's warranty service. If you happen to fumble finger mounting your Hellfighter on your Ma Deuce while in convoy and the track behind you runs over it, Surefire will still replace it, no questions asked. Then tell me they are overpriced.

Personally, if I am out there on the pointy end of the stick, I would gladly pay whatever it takes to make sure my equipment is going to work 'first time - every time' if I am going to bet my life on it.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819