RMSK, Inc.        
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718

Thread: Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

Default Re: Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

The two open threaded holes on the filter, have already bothered me when the HellFighter arrived...

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum so go easy on me!

I've recently gotten my hands on a Hellfighter and want to get it running well. I have easy access to the 2590 batteries, however the cable assembly that I have with the hellfighter does not have the battery end connection. As such I was hoping to modify this other cable I have to do the job, only problem is when I plug it all up it seems like The voltage drops from the battery. I know the battery is good, so I was wondering if I have it wired wrong?? Going with White is positive from the surefire cable and Black is neg.

With the other cable set up I wasnt sure what the third (black) wire was for, any ideas?

Living in Australia means the only way I can get the surefire cables really is to pay an absolute mint from surefire directly, I may end up buying one from the US and just sucking it up with like 40dollars postage.

Thanks,

John

Flashaholic*

eBay is your friend on Surefire cables. They're under $25 USD plus shipping.

If I get a chance later today, I'll pin out a cable and let you know what's what.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

The A and C pins I shorted with a white wire because that's what an external switch usually connects to, for remotely turning it on and off.
    B is positive and E is negative.
    D is unused.
    You'll need to test the cable with a multimeter to figure out what connects to where.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman View Post

The A and C pins I shorted with a white wire because that's what an external switch usually connects to, for remotely turning it on and off.
    B is positive and E is negative.
    D is unused.
    You'll need to test the cable with a multimeter to figure out what connects to where.
    Thanks for the photo, I had a bit play around with it at work yesterday with an electrical technician who deals with stuff like this all the time and we couldnt get the light to work at all. There is the chance that the light is faulty but I guess this is unlikely given the quality of most surefire stuff.

Using the genuine cable which we had cut the end off and connected those wires to a 12v batt wouldnt work at all. what was really strange was the cable began to heat up quickly. Noting we have the polarity correct it was very strange. Have you guys seen anything like this when you are using an alternate power source?

Thanks, John

Hi again guys, ive done some more fault finding. This time with a cable a guy from work has used previously on a HF and it worked for him fine.

Essentially a UH02 cable with the battery end removed and spliced in pos and neg to a cable which plugs directly into a 2590 battery.

Whats interesting was checking the volts in the line prior to connecting to the HF from a fully charged 2590 was around 16v, then on connecting to the HF volts immediately droped to .546 v dc.

Has anyone seen this before? Does the torch have an internal fuse which may have blown?

In the interest of full disclosure the tech guys at work origianally tried a 2590 connector which rigged in series, so the HF has has almost 30v dc put to it the other day. Could this cause a fault to the internals?

Any help would be aweaome, cheers.

John

Yes, 4x 3s 6Ah packs.
    No I haven't tested the runtime, but I think the light uses 3-4 amps, so a single pack should do 1.5-2hrs.
    I need the four packs because when I upgrade it to LED it will be using twice as much current.

When does the low voltage cutoff kick in?
    It must be this PCB in the back right?

I removed this when making my connector mod, so now I just watch the voltage on the battery pack.
    I'm not sure about the low voltage cutoff, but I'm pretty sure this is also e-switch circuitry because the handle power button isn't connected in line to the power.
    Hi Enderman mate how are you going?

So I have posted to this thread recently as I was having a nightmare getting my two Hellfighter units running! This evening I had a little success. It appears that when myself and the Tech heads at work stupidly attached a 2590 battery up to the unit with a plug hardwired in series that we fried this part of the unit! Now whenever we plug the correct battery up to the unit the voltage drops to like .5 v from the original 12.

To night I removed this part of the unit and just jumped the powersource to the rear of the HF itself and bingo! the light started up fine.

So my next question is should I:

A: bypass this regulator entirely and only run the unit of 2590 batteries.

B: Attempt to repair the regulator?

I need to go and get my hands on a suitable pin wrench tomorrow to get access to the board as seen in your pic to find out which part it actually burnt out! But if possible I would prefer to go with option B.

You guys on here come across as knowing your stuff really well, so please any advice is appreciated!

Cheers, John. (PS: Im posting from Aus so I have troubles getting my hands on any SF parts, ideally I will need to make this repair on two HF units as it appears we fried both

That is awesome looking.Make me one of the custom battery cases I'd gladly buy one
    WTB any of the older sf lights, digital series , crosshairs.Also looking for SF displays , please leave PM thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird13 View Post
    That is awesome looking.Make me one of the custom battery cases I'd gladly buy one
    Are you referring to my battery case?
    If so, thanks

Unenlightened

I am just using my Hellfighter 4. I had bought one and the internal battery was dead, sent it to Surefire and after 4 weeks they sent it back fixed for free!!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by zemperfi View Post
    I am just using my Hellfighter 4. I had bought one and the internal battery was dead, sent it to Surefire and after 4 weeks they sent it back fixed for free!!!
    Now that you've got a 4, you need to find the pistol grip switch and cable assembly. With the grip, you get a high and low setting as well as strobe. Without, it's high only.

Unenlightened

Having a hard time finding 2590 batteries on ebay. Seems they have dried up recently. Anybody have any leads on batteries?
    Surefire: Hellfighter, M6, Z3, Scout, X200, E2, 6P-L, G2s, C2 (several some modified); Fenix: P3D-Q5; Zebralight: H50-Q5; Blackhawk: Gladius Klarus: XT11 Maratac: AAA (several) Jetbeam: RRT01, BA10 Blackshadow: Queen, Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by jake-cutter View Post
    Having a hard time finding 2590 batteries on ebay. Seems they have dried up recently. Anybody have any leads on batteries?
    Just use any 12v battery, doesn't need to be the special military ones.

This is a fantastic thread, almost 10 years old and still going! It inspired me to pick up my own Hellfighter even if it is a sad one. I know there have been lots of mods to these but I'm considering going LED swap. I feel like it's blasphemous but it might be more modern than HIDs.

Last edited by foxtrot824; 10-04-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    - 18350 HDS EDC XP-L 90 CRI -
    www.romanledlights.com

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot824 View Post
    This is a fantastic thread, almost 10 years old and still going! It inspired me to pick up my own Hellfighter even if it is a sad one. I know there have been lots of mods to these but I'm considering going LED
    The only advantage I see in modifying a Hellfighter to LED is having enough room inside for the batteries.

That light looks like one that sat on an auction site a long time ago. If it works, run it as a HID light until it goes toes up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    The only advantage I see in modifying a Hellfighter to LED is having enough room inside for the batteries.

That light looks like one that sat on an auction site a long time ago. If it works, run it as a HID light until it goes toes up.
    With switching to LED you can get more throw and more lumens without needing an external ballast.

Flashaholic*

With switching to LED you can get more throw and more lumens without needing an external ballast.
    No external ballast required. It's a complete light system, minus the battery.

Before you discount the HID Hellfighter, you need to use one. The Hellfighter lights up the area 15-25 yards in front of you to around 500 yards. It's not like a thrower led that only emits light in a hotspot.

The light the OP was asking about might be one of the earlier versions with the orange peel reflector. If that's the case, it's not going to be a super thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    No external ballast required. It's a complete light system, minus the battery.

Before you discount the HID Hellfighter, you need to use one. The Hellfighter lights up the area 15-25 yards in front of you to around 500 yards. It's not like a thrower led that only emits light in a hotspot.

The light the OP was asking about might be one of the earlier versions with the orange peel reflector. If that's the case, it's not going to be a super thrower.
    1) I have the same light, I posted about mine not far above in this thread. I know exactly how it performs and I have used it up to 1km

2) If you wanted more throw and lumens, you would need to upgrade the 30W HID to a 75 or 100W HID, and I have done a ton of research on this, it would be impossible to fit one of those larger high power ballasts inside the light.
    Even if you went with one of the super compact and expensive ones from xevision.

3) The "thrower LED" that emits light in only the hotspot is called an "aspheric lens flashlight". It is the use of a lens that allows light to only go to the hotspot.
    If he wants usable spill just like the stock Hellfire, he can use an LED+reflector to get the same effect, but with more lumens and throw.

4) The XHP70 or 70.2 will about 2x the lumens as the Hellfire's bulb, however it will require some better cooling since it will run much hotter.

Flashaholic*

Default Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

1) I have the same light, I posted about mine not far above in this thread. I know exactly how it performs and I have used it up to 1km

3) The "thrower LED" that emits light in only the hotspot is called an "aspheric lens flashlight". It is the use of a lens that allows light to only go to the hotspot.
    If he wants usable spill just like the stock Hellfire, he can use an LED+reflector to get the same effect, but with more lumens and throw.

4) The XHP70 or 70.2 will about 2x the lumens as the Hellfire's bulb, however it will require some better cooling since it will run much hotter.
    I haven't used my Hellfighter 1's further than 500 yards. My Hellfighter 4 is good to around 700 yards. It's useable light not the ANSI BS, 1 lumen on target crap.

I own #1 of the Rev Victor Enthusiast and a few other of Mike Johnson's creations. They're neat lights, but far from being a light I'd use for a search and rescue type of event.

The Olight SR92 or SR95, the Nitecore TM36, I do consider super thrower LED lights. IMO, they're a more useable light.
    Last edited by NoNotAgain; 10-08-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718