Panasonic in talks to buy Sanyo

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really sure where this should go, but one key piece of the news article refers to rechargeable batteries:

Acquiring Sanyo would put Panasonic in a leading position in the global market for rechargeable batteries, which is expected to grow strongly as the use of portable electronic devices and hybrid or electric vehicles expands.

"This appears to be the kind of deal where you add one and one and get three, instead of two. Their battery operations would truly be world-class," said Masayoshi Okamoto, head of trading at Jujiya Securities.

Globe Investor

Yahoo News

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of thing tends to make me uneasy. It could easily result in the end of Eneloops (Panasonic have their own LSD technology).

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the sale happens, Panasonic would be stupid to discard Sanyo's battery operations.
Sanyo's battery operations are probably it's best selling feature.

Perhaps they want Sanyo's rechargeable operations since their own consumer line didn't really pan out that well. Panasonic R2's didn't make much of a splash around here.

I've never had a chance to try Panasonic's R2 batteries. The only place that sold them around here stopped selling them and started selling Duraloops instead.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the sale happens, Panasonic would be stupid to discard Sanyo's battery operations.
Sanyo's battery operations are probably it's best selling feature.
Unfortunately, corporate politics doesn't always work that way. Takeover history is littered with examples where the better offering is discontinued in favour of a weaker one, or where a brand is kept but the technology behind it is changed for something less expensive.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic sold above average batteries for below average prices since the 1960s. One can only hope this will continue, but there are no guarantees.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of thing tends to make me uneasy. It could easily result in the end of Eneloops (Panasonic have their own LSD technology).

A run on the banks would be one thing, but a run on Eneloops? Oh my... I'm out the door right now-Bye!:wave:

Last edited:

odessit

Newly Enlightened
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Ever since I was caught semi-off guard by 3.5 day power outage (ice storm) I always replenish propane and AA primaries as they get used. Eneloop does a bit better than cheap AA...

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
An update on this story.

Yahoo news link.

Looks like if it happens, Sanyo would become a subsidiary of Panasonic.

The sources said Panasonic President Fumio Ohtsubo and Sanyo President Seiichiro Sano met last month and agreed in principle to Sanyo becoming a subsidiary, but that there has not been any agreement on other details such as price.