Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dewalt 18v led conversion

Unenlightened

Default dewalt 18v led conversion

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to convert a DEwalt 18v light to led? Thanks, John

Default Re: dewalt 18v led conversion

I've been thinking about how to do this with my craftsman. I figure just trim down a PC heatsink to fit in the head and wire together 5x Cree LED's in series should take care of it simply. Each should get about 3.6V and you would have a killer pure flood beam.

Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam e tenebris ad lucem!
    LaymansLights.com Now on Facebook and Twitter.

Flashaholic*

I did soemthing with a Ryobi 18volt. I used a 3023-dn-1000 buckpuck to power 4 XR-E's in series. i opened the head ans stuck in a CPU Heatsink and drilled holes for air.

Quote Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
    I did soemthing with a Ryobi 18volt. I used a 3023-dn-1000 buckpuck to power 4 XR-E's in series. i opened the head ans stuck in a CPU Heatsink and drilled holes for air.
    Got pics?

Unenlightened

I am a noobie. Is there a premade mod available for drop in? Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrowjbe View Post
    I don't think so, I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrowjbe View Post
    How is it you have two posts in the same thread, yet your total post count is still on 1 ?

There's one in my school workshop, I *think* it just uses something similar to a maglight bulb; maybe one of those conversion maglight bulbs would work?

However, I think that would create more throw than flood, which is what you'd most likely need it for.

Not here. I generally use mine for flood light when working on tasks around the house. Even if it is basically a Maglite bulb, you have to be careful to get one capable of being supplied with 18V. Otherwise...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus View Post
    Not here. I generally use mine for flood light when working on tasks around the house. Even if it is basically a Maglite bulb, you have to be careful to get one capable of being supplied with 18V. Otherwise...
    THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY ITS A DROP IN FOR ALL 18VOLT FLASHLIGHT SYSTEMS. GOT MINE A FEW MONTHS BACK, ACCIDENTALY LEFT MY RYOBI IN ATTIC FOR 2 DAYS FLASHLIGHT WAS STILL ON , IF IT WAS THE REGULAR BULB IT WOULD HAVE LASTED ABOUT 4-5 HOURS AT MOST.

http://www.szwholesale.com/3718v-117...r2-p-1686.html

Quote Originally Posted by KEYYTRIGER View Post
    THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY ITS A DROP IN FOR ALL 18VOLT FLASHLIGHT SYSTEMS. GOT MINE A FEW MONTHS BACK, ACCIDENTALY LEFT MY RYOBI IN ATTIC FOR 2 DAYS FLASHLIGHT WAS STILL ON , IF IT WAS THE REGULAR BULB IT WOULD HAVE LASTED ABOUT 4-5 HOURS AT MOST.

nice, those r2's do work....
    I brought these up in this thread.....http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight=18v+ryobi
    lots of threads for 18v drop-ins....wonder when someone will make a multi-emitter drop-in...
    Last edited by Gen3Benz; 01-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Enlightened

TerraLux used to make an 18V drop in for Ryobi, Dewalt ect, 18V lights but, I cant find it anymore on their website. They must have discontinued it.

Unenlightened

I owned 2 of the TerraLux 18v led conversion kits and both of them burnt out after 4 to 8 hours of use in my Ryobi work light. Iím assuming this was par for the course with that product, witch most likely lead to it being discontinued.
    I like the arrangement AardvarkSaugus suggested with the 5x Cree leds, but also with a voltage regulating chip similar to those in several of the Princeton Tec Headlamps; I think that would make for a very solid product.

I've just received a led conversion for my Dewalt DW919.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUSION-48-LED-...a#ht_500wt_956

and some more info from the manufacturers website

http://www.sinounion.com.hk/product2.htm

Overall a nice floody beam with a reasonable hotspot, about what you would expect from 48 5mm leds, just about right for a work light. Tint is surprisingly white and much better than the yellow awful beam of the original incan bulb and reflector. Input voltage is 9 to 18 volts so I might end up using my 14.4v Black and Decker drill light to get more use out of it. Lumen wise it is just as bright as my Sgt Burkett P7 driven at 2amps with a medium boom reflector so Iím guessing around 400-lumen ballpark. If it is a true 4w module then Iíll be getting around 10 hours from my 2.4amp hour battery in the Dewalt, might have to take it camping in summer.

Damn, that's super interesting. By the way, it's also available by someone on the american site, not that it matters since it ships from HK.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FUSION-48-LED-PO...item19b95ef08a

Don't suppose you have two dewalts you can do a side by side comparison?

Could you do some runtime testing with this module and the regular bulb for us?

Also, does it just pop right in?

Thanks

George

It just pops in, the hardest part was teasing out the stock reflector without damaging it just in case i want to put it back. Once the retaining ring is screwed back it makes the module snug and very secure.

I'll see if i can get some beam shots and post them, maybe even get my multimeter out to take some readings. As for run times i'll have to wait to see if i'm free at the weekend.

It looks and feels like a nice little bit of kit for the money, some nice finning at the back of the unit should keep it cool in the plastic housing.

Very cool. No rush on my behalf, whenever you have the time. I'm all spent out right now anyway

This is exactly what you are looking for, good luck.
    http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...te=google_base

Unenlightened

Yeah, but not as high output..

Unenlightened

I read somewhere Milwaukee was coming out with LED bulbs to fit most work lights.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    I read somewhere Milwaukee was coming out with LED bulbs to fit most work lights.
    Take a look at post #14, there's a link to the Milwaukee website where you can find that upgrade.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by KEYYTRIGER View Post

Looks like you'd have to make some serious modifications to make that fit, beyond just removing the dewalt reflector, correct?

I have (2) Dewalt 18v flashlights,

after seeing post 14 and reading the press release http://www.milwaukeetool.com/NewsAnd...icationId=1048 this seems like good solution.

Has anyone here bought the Milwaukee LED upgrade kit?
    If so, good quality, no issues, etc?

That'd be a good project. Make it actually worth something :-D
    Life is good

I have the fusion48 from eBay in my dewalt light and it rocks.
    Over 500 lumens all flood, in a cool white beam.
    I had to shim the lens so that the spring made contact. Used a zip tie and cut off the end.
    Same guy that makes the fusion36 for maglite

Checking online the only review I could find is @ amazon, 1 of 5 stars, seems like this is NOT a good solution based upon that feedback, that's why I'm asking here before spending $$'s.
    http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-8...owViewpoints=1

I already had the real-McCoy Milwaukee M12 LED work light which is pricey but delivers the goods. I was truly impressed with its light output and beam pattern. This was after terrible performance from Makita's LED flash light which costs less than half. I wanted to upgrade another Makita flashlight which I use a lot to Milwaukee's LED technology.

In short, it didn't fit. See my customer image. I then put this LED "upgrade" into an M12 incandescent work light that I also had. It would be a perfect A/B comparison to the M12 LED work light that I mentioned above. See my customer images comparing the two as well as comparing the LED-upgraded M12 to typical Makita 18V work light. The light output of the LED "upgrade" is a joke.

In a nutshell, this product needs to go back to the drawing board. You are better off spending the money on Milwaukee's factory M12 LED work light or possibly on their factory M18 LED work light if you can use those batteries. The M12 LED work light is one of the best work lights I have used.

The fusion 48 is the showerhead approach to brighteness.
    I popped out the reflector and put it in, I shinned the glass so it made contact, but you could extend the spring.
    I think it fits better in the snake lite than the swivel handle I have. I like it

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    The fusion 48 is the showerhead approach to brighteness.
    I popped out the reflector and put it in, I shinned the glass so it made contact, but you could extend the spring.
    I think it fits better in the snake lite than the swivel handle I have. I like it
    Thx for feedback, for $30 I'm willing to do this, much longerlife and I currently go thru bulbs to often, this will payfor itself.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110573033363
    Mike R, P.E. : iMac 27"(i7+2TB+8GB), 24" Al iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
    Canon T1i + lens:15-85/f1.4 50/18-55 IS kit/55-250 IS kit, FEISOL tripod CT-3441S with CB-40D Ball Head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast