Default Re: dewalt 18v led conversion

Right on

Jumping in on this too...

I've got a similar flash light that came with my Hitachi Drill:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...80#post3575880

I see the LED conversion bulb here:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...te=google_base

But for $40, I think I'll pass on the upgrade for now. I cant believe that little bulb is still that expensive right now.

Would this would on my Hitachi?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110573033363

I can't seem to find the fusion 48 bulbs on ebay

I tried to sreach for fusion 48 led nothing

Anyone have a link?

Thanks

thanks for the link hrcled, i just ordered a unit.
    it's just different on my planet..

Unenlightened

I wanted a LED conversion for my DeWalt DW919 18V work light. The light is fairly cheap at $35 without the Ni-Cd battery (which I had from other tools). Googling led me to CPF, but the info here was sparse. I followed the link on this thread to http://www.sinounion.com.hk/ and bought their Fusion6048 module from them off ebay for $31 shipped. Here is some more information on it.

Install would have been easy if i knew how the thing went together. You just unscrew the ring, take out the reflector and bulb, and drop in the new unit. The trick is to then put the existing clear lens back into the black bezel, then drop the supplied white rubber ring behind the lens and screw the whole thing together. The white ring applies a nice pressure to the LED module, keeping it connected to the bulb contacts in the back, and keeping everything from shaking (reference photo below). Install takes all of 2 minutes.

Out of curiosity I busted out the security torx driver, opened up the head, and took some measurements. My gently used, 2 year old Ni-Cd "XRP" battery showed 20.68V fresh off the charger, and 20.01V two days later. After a little use with the old bulb I did the following measurements and took all the pictures. With the existing incandescent bulb I measured 19.05V and .597A for a power draw of 11.4W. With the new LED module the numbers are 19.14V and .307A for 5.9W.

I like the light output of the LED. The center of the beam is a little brighter (hard to judge) but the center "spot" is much larger, the transition to the outside 'fill' light is much softer, and there is much more light outside of the central beam. I haven't used it in the shop yet, or under the car, but everything points to much better results. Having half the power draw will be nice not just from the longer run time, but from not having that much heat right next to my head - the normal bulb is pretty toasty.

Images below were captured with the same settings, ISO 200, f/7.1, 0.5s. The only difference is the white balance, which I left on Auto.

Full Size Images - https://picasaweb.google.com/1037302...OvShoblgoKlBA#
    Last edited by uberthin; 07-21-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correct Image Sizes

Good post, uberthin - thanks for the info and those photos. I've been debating about upgrading mine for a while. The batteries are so expensive though. Home Despot has them for $50 a piece when you buy two, and I can get the clones off the Internet for about $35. So, it's not my favorite form factor, but it's hard to argue with the cool factor

Does anyone know if they make a conversion kit with a Cree emitter? Maybe an XM-L?

These conversions are

My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Unenlightened

Just got my fusion 48.....Awesome!! Does anyone know if they make one for the similar craftsman 19.2volt C3 line flashlight the head on that light is an oval shape.

Unenlightened

Default Re2: dewalt 18v led conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Dew73 View Post
    Just got my fusion 48.....Awesome!! Does anyone know if they make one for the similar craftsman 19.2volt C3 line flashlight the head on that light is an oval shape.
    Hi,

Can you please tell us where you bought your conversion kit from? I checked ebay and no luck. I checked Sino Union and they say they have a 100 piece minimum.

Thanks

Default Re: Re2: dewalt 18v led conversion

Quote Originally Posted by deklund View Post
    Hi,

Can you please tell us where you bought your conversion kit from? I checked ebay and no luck. I checked Sino Union and they say they have a 100 piece minimum.

Thanks
    here
    Noob
    Poor noob who want some lights.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by KEYYTRIGER View Post
    THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY ITS A DROP IN FOR ALL 18VOLT FLASHLIGHT SYSTEMS. GOT MINE A FEW MONTHS BACK, ACCIDENTALY LEFT MY RYOBI IN ATTIC FOR 2 DAYS FLASHLIGHT WAS STILL ON , IF IT WAS THE REGULAR BULB IT WOULD HAVE LASTED ABOUT 4-5 HOURS AT MOST.

http://www.szwholesale.com/3718v-117...r2-p-1686.html
    Hello,

I am a newbie here. I read this post and bought several of these CREE R2 bulbs (FB-R2) to convert my fleet of Ryobi 18V flashlights.

I'm hoping to see photos of how Keyytriger converted his Ryobi light using this CREE R2 BULB.

Or if anyone else has done this upgrade.

Thank you in advance!

Unenlightened

Default Re: Re2: dewalt 18v led conversion

Ordered one, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Newuser01 View Post