Lion batteries in series and parallel

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
I'm very unfamiliar with lion batteryes, so don't laugh for those questions :ohgeez:
Can I connect lion bateries in series and parallel like other types of batteries (nimh, nicd...)without any precautions? I saw that some lion batteries have some kind of protecion in it, should I buy batteries with or without it?
I want to make two batteries in series x2 and put those two pairs in parallel, I think I will got 7.2V 2.5Ah in that way? I will put that somehow in my bike bottle (bidon) and charge it somehow. Is there any advice how to do that?

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very unfamiliar with lion batteryes, so don't laugh for those questions :ohgeez:
Can I connect lion bateries in series and parallel like other types of batteries (nimh, nicd...)without any precautions? I saw that some lion batteries have some kind of protecion in it, should I buy batteries with or without it?
I want to make two batteries in series x2 and put those two pairs in parallel, I think I will got 7.2V 2.5Ah in that way? I will put that somehow in my bike bottle (bidon) and charge it somehow. Is there any advice how to do that?

Here you go !
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206716

:poof:
Robert M.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will got 7.2V 2.5Ah in that way?
You did not type what batts to use, but: NO

You put 2 in series --> voltage doubles,
You put 2 in parallel --> capacity doubles

as the common Li-Ion cells have
AA --> 800 mAh
CR123 --> 600-800 mAh
18650 --> 2200 mAh
there is no way You could end up with 2.5 Ah ;)

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
You did not type what batts to use, but: NO

You put 2 in series --> voltage doubles,
You put 2 in parallel --> capacity doubles

as the common Li-Ion cells have
AA --> 800 mAh
CR123 --> 600-800 mAh
18650 --> 2200 mAh
there is no way You could end up with 2.5 Ah ;)

I will use total 4 batteries 18650, two in series x2, than those two pairs in parallel

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
You could use these: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1083

but You could also get Canon BP945 Camcorder packs and charge them with Your Camcorder
(they have the protection built in)

can I use protected batteries like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790
and charge it (every time unpack the pack) in something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13820

can I just put them in series an parallel like nimh batteries?

TexLite

Enlightened
Since it seems your new to Li-ion chemistry,reading up on the dangers/benefits would be a great place to start.
Li-Ion Protection Technology
Greatest Danger Using Li-Ion

The configuration your asking for is 2S2P(two serial/two parallel).LITEmania has a pack already made up here,Kentro P7 Bicycle Headlamp.He also has a charger available in the same thread.

You can see more pics on his site,litemania.com

The price is reasonable.By the time you figure the cost of shipping for batteries,protection circuits,connectors,chargers etc.,if you build one yourself,you probably couldn't put one together for that.And you can familiarize yourself with the chemistry safely,then you will be armed with knowledge to DIY later.

-Michael

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Since it seems your new to Li-ion chemistry,reading up on the dangers/benefits would be a great place to start.
Li-Ion Protection Technology
Greatest Danger Using Li-Ion

The configuration your asking for is 2S2P(two serial/two parallel).LITEmania has a pack already made up here,Kentro P7 Bicycle Headlamp.He also has a charger available in the same thread.

You can see more pics on his site,litemania.com

The price is reasonable.By the time you figure the cost of shipping for batteries,protection circuits,connectors,chargers etc.,if you build one yourself,you probably couldn't put one together for that.And you can familiarize yourself with the chemistry safely,then you will be armed with knowledge to DIY later.

-Michael

I have read all articles on CPF, and conclusion is that safest way to charge batteries is to charge every cell individualy and than connect it and make a pack. Batteries should be with protection. Charger must supply 0.5 or 1C to fiil battery properly, and has to shutdown after charge is done. Not to trickle charge cell, since that can lead to fire&explosion.

Did I miss something :anyone:

TexLite

Enlightened
I'm very unfamiliar with lion batteryes...

Thats the reason I made the recommendation to read up.

I have read all articles on CPF, and conclusion is that safest way to charge batteries is to charge every cell individualy and than connect it and make a pack. Batteries should be with protection. Charger must supply 0.5 or 1C to fiil battery properly, and has to shutdown after charge is done. Not to trickle charge cell, since that can lead to fire&explosion.

Did I miss something :anyone:

Another important precaution is to avoid discharge currents above 2C.

The reason I suggested to buy the pack litemania has listed,is its cheaper than even the premade pack linked to above,and he has a charger available.He also ships internationally for $5.00.Its a finished pack complete with wiring,case,and an attachment strap.

By the time you add up the shipping,if you have to purchase components from multiple vendors,the cost can quickly escalate past the price you could purchase a completed pack for,especially when some dealers charge huge international rates.

-Michael