Marking batteries

Oznog

Enlightened
I have really wanted to keep batteries (both NiMH and LiIon 18650s) in pairs or quads. That is, just use the set of 4x NiMH that go in my GPS as one set and not keep mixing in the 1x that goes in my flashlight.

I used a colored marker on them initially, but once it dries it rubs off that outer plastic shrink pretty easily, like dry erase marker. IIRC magic marker was pretty similar.

Is there a reliable way of marking these? I kinda thought of putting masking tape on them but then it's probably gonna start shearing off when I drop it into the tight aluminum case of the flashlight. Or get stuck.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a similar thread in the last couple of months.

I use a Sharpie on mine, but it does wear off over time.

In the prior thread, someone mentioned that they use one of those Brother P-Touch (or similar) label machines to label their cells. That seems like a good idea, since the labels are really thin.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used different colored electrical tape. I don't wrap it quite all the way around so there's not a doubled up point for even more added thickness. It works fine on all but my single cells. Due to one light not fitting cells with tape I have a couple untaped single cells but otherwise it works. On the tape I write a letter in black permanent marker to id which group of cells it belongs to. The marker seems to stay a little better on the tape than the cell itself although it will probably need recovering along the way.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Here is the thread Black Rose refers to. I am one of the ones using the P-Touch labeler, and have never had a label fall off. I labeled so many other things in the house, and decided to use on the batteries and I'm glad I did.

shadowjk

Enlightened
I recommend you dont wrap the label all around the battery, just make it big enough to fit a number or ID.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Good point shadowjk, you're exactly right. :thumbsup: my labels are just wide enough for the number. This has minimal impact on battery width, and the cost of the labels - no need to waste label tape.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I use cellophane tape. It's thin, sticks well, and can be marked with a sharpie or a soft pencil.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I write the month and year of acquisition, a number for the cell, and then the total number of identical cells acquired that month. E.g.: 11/08 1/4

I use the finest tip Sharpie I can find, and then cover it with a little slip of clear tape, since the Sharpie does rub off after a while.

Jack

frasera

Newly Enlightened
i dunno, a dab of clear epoxy over sharpie... or simply epoxy paint? that stuff sticks to everything. and yea i use sharpies..but it does rub off.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mark them with a Sharpie and then cover it with a small piece of Scotch tape.

It's been working well for years. If your cells are a tight fit in a flashlight, the tape might be a problem, but I don't have any tight fits.

mikel81

Newly Enlightened
Get an etching scribe (sharp pointed carbon tipped pen for writing on metal) And serialize them on the bottom. You can write super small easily. I serialize my modded lights by writing inside the tailcap of C-D cell Maglites.

-Mike

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Get an etching scribe (sharp pointed carbon tipped pen for writing on metal) And serialize them on the bottom.
You can write super small easily. I serialize my modded lights by writing inside the tailcap of C-D cell Maglites.

-Mike
....... yes i do this too, so simple, very quick and it never rubs out

TaschenlampeMann

Newly Enlightened
I use the thin labels but make them small enough to fit next to the positive cap on my 123 cells. That way there is no increase at all in cell diameter. I have one light that is VERY tight and won't even accomodate a partial circumference label.
Every cell gets a serial number that I track in a spreadsheet listing purchase date, chemistry etc. Also for convenience, I add a second label to the 3V rechargeable cells so I can distinguish them quickly from the 3.7V cells.