Surefire L1 emitter swap

manoloco

Enlightened
I just took apart an L1 cree head, the led is in bad shape inside, dome was off the emitter, and the emitter itself is dimmer than it should, before i took it apart, in preparation, i bought 2 cree R2 stars (on their way, not arived yet) to take the emitter from one and put it into this head.

however when i opened it i came to the surprise that the head takes what looks to be a cree emitter with a 16mm base.

Is it easy to take out that emmiter from the base and place one from the star on it?, if its not much trouble i prefer to do this instead of buying another emitter with base and wait for it to arrive.

any recomendations?

thanks for reading.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How easily will the star come off? If it comes off easily, then if would probably be OK to take a star you get, grind the outer diameter down to 16mm, and replace the whole thing. I did that to a Nuwai ALX2611X SSC star to replace a Luxeon.

manoloco

Enlightened
Thanks Blindasabat

I thought of that too, match the diameter of the base triming the edges of the star and match the position of the holes, also drilling a couple of holes in the contacts, so it works just as the base does in the L1 head.

Are there any reliability issues that should arise by doing this?, like less resistance to impacts or something?, the way i see it, there should be zero problems, if anything after shaving diameter from the star, it should be lighter than the base... lol, seriously, any drawbacks on doing this?.