Internal Pistol Light

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
I was having a discussion with a couple guys I work with, and the question of the possibility of an internal light similar to what LaserMax does with their guide rod lasers came up.

Is it possible to have a functional light with little or no reflector?

Is the idea even feasible?

Anybody have any input?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems possible. It would solve the holster problem and help, say, Federal Air Marshals to have a light on their gun, but would probably give up throw, output and runtime compared to current weaponlights that are much bigger.

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
Actually, mentioning FAM made me think...

Maybe just having a very bright LED for purely strobing capabilities.

With no reflector it would have little to no throw, but even without a reflector, a LED strobe is still quite effective...

Hmmm... wonder who could actually make a prototype of something like it?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible I would think. But I bet Lasermax has a patent on a guide rod replacement which emits any kind of light, laser or otherwise. Stupid if they dont.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not have some form of TIR optic or optical lens? Make it the window as well to save space.

He's talking about fitting a light in the slide guide rod. That rod is typically less than 6mm in diameter. There's not really space for an optic.

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
Would a lens that small even be functional?

You'd be looking at maybe a 1/4 inch space total.

There is a lens in the LaserMax pistol, but it's more for protection.
laser-callouts.jpg

Here are the two patents for LaserMax:
Recoil spring guide mounting for laser sight

Firearm with modified take down latch for controlling laser sight

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
Technically, it's not necessary to have an integrated laser sight either.;)

While a 6P is very functional, one less piece of equipment to bring immediately to bear is always better.

I wasn't thinking of this idea for FAM only, I think there are many professionals that could benefit from a integrated steady or strobing light source.

I'm definitely going to be stopping by the LaserMax booth at this years SHOT Show. Who knows? :D

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a bad idea, at all. It simplifies life for anybody concealing a handgun. There are many more civilians carrying concealed than LEOs or security.

But the Air Marshals have poor management. I flew on about 8 flights (including connections) last month carrying two .40's and an X-300. What's so hard about that?

But if they are going to be obstinate, an internal light might be acceptable--might be.

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
If you've seen the FAM firearm quals, you'd know, simple is better.

Here's a .PDF of the quals

There will always be more civilians carrying concealed than "professionals". That's just the way it is.

I know a lot of guys who feel they don't need to carry when their out of uniform because "people don't know they're cops". Just asinine.

LightRaven, no disrepect intended, I have no idea who you are or what you do for a living. But, I'm hoping you're some form of LEO. ;) It's always easier to carry multiple firearms, (I'm guessing Shoulder Rig or IWB and an ankle rig?) But, when you've gone through the type of Extreme CQB training they've had, less is more.

Regardless of all that, I didn't mean for this to turn into a FAM thread. I think if the idea is a possibility, FAM would definitley be considered as one of the end users, but right along with anyone else who carries a firearm for a living.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I like the idea.

Rebel 100 tiny custom made asphere lens, runtime would be super short.

Give the tech 10 more years and it'll be easy.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I don't think it is necessary to have an integrated light in a pistol. A 6p with combat ring is really all they need

Ever attempt a tactical reload with a 6P in your left hand? It ain't pretty.

The handguns I now purchase for defense have a pre-requisite. An M1913 rail so I can attach some light emitting device. That being said, if I could do without a TLR-1 or X300 device, that'd be great - holster options would be better and the weapon could be less cumbersome. Safariland makes a good holster, and already provides options for most weapons platforms with varying rail-mounted lights.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense taken, Tackleberry81, I work for a LE agency, have gone through the FAM qual, and work with loads of ex-FAMs, one my boss.

My carry setup was shoulder and in-the-waistband combo. I mentioned the FAM because of the current article in Surefire Combat Tactics by a former FAM who designed the Surefire combat ring as a way to deal with FAM's refusal to allow weapon mounted lights. The ostensible reason was inability to conceal a gun with a weapon mounted light attached.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a related note - are the SF combat rings available through third party vendors?

-Trevor

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
You guys need to go to Youtube.com and type in "Glock flashlight gun". The light that they show is not actually in production, but I'm sure it would fit your needs. :)

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
No offense taken, Tackleberry81, I work for a LE agency, have gone through the FAM qual, and work with loads of ex-FAMs, one my boss.

My carry setup was shoulder and in-the-waistband combo. I mentioned the FAM because of the current article in Surefire Combat Tactics by a former FAM who designed the Surefire combat ring as a way to deal with FAM's refusal to allow weapon mounted lights. The ostensible reason was inability to conceal a gun with a weapon mounted light attached.

Nice, my same preferred setup for EP work.

Actually managed to conceal a G17 with a TLR-1 in a Bianchi Vision, under a ****ies work shirt, along with 2 mags, a Gladius, small fixed blade, & a pair of cuffs... wasn't pretty, but it worked. ;)

Of course there are a lot better holster options now, even IWB. Haven't tried them all yet, but there's always tomorrow.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.bobergengineering.com is a company producing an innovative little gun. There's a void in front above the rail where they're planning on putting an integral laser sight. Seems to me that you could also stick a Rebel based light or a Lummi Wee light engine in there alternately, or a second-generation sight module could be fitted with both a laser and a light.