• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Why CPF users don't buy more Peaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1dash1

Enlightened
From another thread:

Peak lights are wonderful but don't get much love on CPF. :(

I started a reply, but thought the topic might be more deserving of a separate thread. So, here are my thoughts on the subject:

=============================================

I have one Peak flashlight, which I very much enjoy.

One of the reasons I don't purchase more Peak flashlights is because navigating their website is very frustrating.
  • It is physically frustrating, trying to carefully run the cursor along the tiny-seam-of-a-menu-bar.
  • It is mentally tiring, trying to keep track of seemingly random categorization of multiple styles of lights - with no index to cross-reference.
  • No search function.
  • The frustration is compounded by dead links, obsolete information, and omission of readily available information.
For those who are familiar with the Peak product line and the respective options (i.e., users who already know what they are looking for), I suppose they can find their way okay. However, for me, trying to figure out which flashlight best suits my needs is a painful experience.

Note to the moderators: If this discussion topic is inappropriate (crosses the line into dissing rather than discussing), please feel free to delete it.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • It is mentally tiring, trying to keep track of seemingly random categorization of multiple styles of lights - with no index to cross-reference.
I have a few times now given getting a peak some serious thought - however, whenever I look into it, all the different names and options ALWAYS frustrates me enough to not go through with it...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Web site not a problem for me and their newer ones may be better, but their old ones had pretty poor regulation, exhibiting typical alkaline decay curves. They also had pretty bad efficiency compared to other lights and didn't put out near as many lumen hours for a given battery type as their competitors.

They were not inexpensive, and their nice build quality and brass body options were not enough to make up for it.

I experienced this early and so never looked seriously at their later models.

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Personally, 'cuz they're fugly. :)

There's no accounting for taste!!!:poke:
"One man's loss is another man's gain, one man's pleasure is another man's pain"-Molly Hatchet

Personally, I think that they are quite beautiful in a minimalist Art Deco kind of way. They are unpretentious and straightforward little lights with a nice choice of material options. Everybody oohhs and aahhhss when other manufacturers come out with a stainless steel version as if it were some revelation, but I like the fact that peak offers various metals as an option. Design wise I find them to be much stronger than many of the stark "tube" lights out there that may offer more options but have no pizaz or differentiation between the head or tail of the light. Sadly, the brass line is being discontinued but you couldn't pry my brass McKinley, Shasta, Caribbean, or Mediterranean from "my cold dead hands", (C.Heston).

I do agree that Peak would benefit from streamlining their website a little bit and adding the numerous options that aren't listed on their site.

So saith the Goblin :D

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love Peak lights, but they do need to step up their exposure and communication . I'm still trying to get a hold of TheFlashlightGuy on a little issue, but he seems to not be taking care of his sales thread on CPFMP. He's active on Flashlight Forums though...:ironic:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Love Peak lights, but they do need to step up their exposure and communication . I'm still trying to get a hold of TheFlashlightGuy on a little issue, but he seems to not be taking care of his sales thread on CPFMP. He's active on Flashlight Forums though...:ironic:
I don't think the flashlightguy is associated with Peak.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Several times i jumped on the Peak website,

only to be confused, frustrated, and angered.

:mad:_:scowl:_:confused:_:banghead:_:hairpull:_:wtf:_:huh2:

Seemed almost like a PUZZLE of some sort,

trying to determine which of their lights is which.

Some helpful CPF'ers suggested calling Peak on the telephone,

and speaking to a real live person.

But in the 21st Century internet world,

that just shouldn't be necessary. :shakehead

Forget it, Peak !

I'm not gonna' put up with that crap.

:toilet:
_

bust1216

Newly Enlightened
I found that searching through all the posts here were much more informative that Peak's website. Unfortunate because I really would like to purchase more in the future from them.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Burgess I live on the other side of the world and have no problem phoning Peak to place an order and can't understand why you find it such a hassle, after placing at least 6 phone orders with Robyn I have always felt that I was treated as a valued customer and the experience and product received was well worth the small effort involved.
Norm

carrot

Flashaholic
Biggest reason I'm not more interested is that I can't find what I want easily.

The build quality seems to be great but design seems a little lacking. Also, the power LED models seem priced a little high for what you get which is what keeps me from biting.

Also, on larger lights a pocket clip is really essential to me.

Of all the lights they offer the Fujiyama and Kilmanjaro seem the most interesting to me... maybe I will pick one up one of these days.

exodus125

Enlightened
the website is a bit hard to get around and nothing is too clear. Ive been looking at the page on an off for 2 or 3 days now and I have still not decided what to get, or if to get anything at all. That 50% off is nice though.

Gary123

Enlightened
I agree with Norm that a phone call to them can be very helpful. I called a couple days ago, asked what their most powerful light was (in a non police type), and bought that one.

Their site is a bit bad, they have so many different lights that seem very similar in output and are rated in candlepower which we really don't use on CPF so we are clueless on the brightness of their lights. One issue for me is that most all of their lights have only one output level. Also their lights are not among the brightest, none of them really throw far, and I think that all of their personal lights, except for the Ranier, are made to run on primaries, and none of them will run on an 18650. Compared for what you get in terms of brightness and features they are quite expensive.

That said, their lights are so very nicely machined and made, they are a pleasure to hold and use and are wonderful for EDC'ing for intermediate and close range. One of my most frequently used EDC lights is their Caribbean. And I also like their 1 x AAA 3 watt Luxeon Baltic. The "pocket" bodies are very compact, "lug" is next, and "keychain" is quite long for its battery size, but it comes off your keychain in an instant if needed, and will tailstand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.