2d to 8aa conversion help

mesa232323

Enlightened
I am new to the site and I just purchased the 8aa conversion for 2d maglites. right now I am looking for the brightest incan bulb I can install in my mag without modification.

Illum

Flashaholic
note that 2D to 8AA holders require that your mag body is quad bored, it will not drop in just like the 3D to 8AA holders because the internal dimensions are too small.

now thats done and over with, the only lamp I've worked with and had good results is WA1164 G4 bipin
in order to use it your going to have to buy a G4 to Bi-pin holder from Fivemega [link here], you have the choice between using stainless steel and brass, I don't see a real difference using one or the other.
and buy the lamps from litho123 [sell thread here]

litho123 said:
Bi-Pin WA 01164: 6.0v 3.28a @ spec (301 b-lumens)
... only (2) for 15.00 .... or (3) for 22.50 .... plus shipping

Personally I found the overdriven 1164 to be on par with the famed WA1185....

I'm sure there are other lamps around that may be suitable for your needs, but heres a starter:nana:

good luck, and cheers:wave:

mesa232323

Enlightened
note that 2D to 8AA holders require that your mag body is quad bored, it will not drop in just like the 3D to 8AA holders because the internal dimensions are too small.

now thats done and over with, the only lamp I've worked with and had good results is WA1164 G4 bipin
in order to use it your going to have to buy a G4 to Bi-pin holder from Fivemega [link here], you have the choice between using stainless steel and brass, I don't see a real difference using one or the other.
and buy the lamps from litho123 [sell thread here]

Personally I found the overdriven 1164 to be on par with the famed WA1185....

I'm sure there are other lamps around that may be suitable for your needs, but heres a starter:nana:

good luck, and cheers:wave:
[/COLOR]
hey thankyou for the help, I just ordered all you recomended.

mesa232323

Enlightened
well I am using 8 disposable AAs. Wont that flash the 1164? Luxluther's destructive bulb test stated that they could not exceed 10.6 volts.

swampgator

Enlightened
well I am using 8 disposable AAs. Wont that flash the 1164? Luxluther's destructive bulb test stated that they could not exceed 10.6 volts.

You don't want to use akalines. They probably will flash your bulb and they won't hold up to the current draw of the bulb, ie they will dim quickly.

Go ahead and buy some good rechargeables. Eneloops get high marks and can be bought locally.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't want to use akalines. They probably will flash your bulb and they won't hold up to the current draw of the bulb, ie they will dim quickly.

Go ahead and buy some good rechargeables. Eneloops get high marks and can be bought locally.

Will they flash it? I would have thought that took more power than alkalines could supply.

Still alkalines won't work. They can't sustain the current draw and will leak.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will they flash it? I would have thought that took more power than alkalines could supply.

Still alkalines won't work. They can't sustain the current draw and will leak.
Alkalines can't sustain that kind of current draw continuously but initial spike will flash the bulb.

mesa232323

Enlightened
After doing some research I decided to use some rechargeables.

while I wait for my bi pin socket and wa1164 I decided to go to radio shack and pick up a kpr18 (7.2v, 700ma). I was surprised at how light that it put out. It may not be much but to somebody like me who hasnt had a bright incan, I was amazed. When I used alkalines, that bulb flashed and so did the 6d mag replacement bulbs. I had a tektite xpr88 (9.6v) bulb for 8 cell lights and it was not cutting it.

I just realized what everyone was talking about when they say "you must bore out your mag". I used a brake cylinder hone for about an hour and I just got it to work. There must be a better way.