most popular headlights of 2008? ($100) + or -

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
which $100 headlights have proven to be great (bright and long runtime) over the last 12 months?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I can't really say that anything new and impressive has come out in that price range in the past year with the exception of the newest Princeton Tec Apex which now boasts 130 lumens instead of 60/80.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
That is a nice archive of headlamp reviews, but the last review posted was 2 years ago this month.

Illum

Flashaholic
no recognition for zebralite?

finally, a headlamp with no hotspot and is actually pretty awesome for reading:thumbsup:

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
God I miss Quickbeam!!! I remember this page from when I got the EOS in 2006.

Do you folks know if there is anything like the EOS but updated? I know I've seen some Mod's around but off the shelf works for me also.

:)

I think Woods Walker just did a review of the new EOS, looks like a really good headlight.

nzbazza

Enlightened
My favourite headlamps of the past year:

Mentions:
Petzl Myo XP w/ Seoul P4
Black Diamond Spot 2008 model
Zebralight H30

3. Streamlight Argo HP w/C4 led: can use 17670 Li-Ions
2: Princeton Tec EOS w/rebel led: one of the best made even better

And my No.1 favourite and my choice for the 2008 Headlamp Of The Year is.... (drumroll please)

1: Zebralight H50: A stroke of pure genius!!!! 120deg beam of pure flood from a side firing Cree Q5 LED, 3 regulated and well spaced levels, 1AA battery, GITB bracket.

In 2009 these are HL's I'm looking forward to:
Surefire Saint HL: because its surefire, UI, multiple battery configuration
Zebralight H51: reflectorised version of H50
Zebralight H31: reflectorised version of H31
Zebralight H60: powerhouse tasklight
Petzl Myo RXP: regulated, 3 programmable levels
Fenix HL: Mythical beast being hinted at for a long time. Hope it is something like a PD20 with a warm white LED for outdoors colour rendition.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
God I miss Quickbeam!!! I remember this page from when I got the EOS in 2006.

Do you folks know if there is anything like the EOS but updated? I know I've seen some Mod's around but off the shelf works for me also.

:)

I did a review on the new Rebel EOS and EOS II. In my view it is one of the better headlamps in the 3XAAA form factor.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a review on the new Rebel EOS and EOS II. In my view it is one of the better headlamps in the 3XAAA form factor.

I'll second that. The EOS is a great headlight. The regulation, runtime, and brightness in a lightweight package will spoil you into avoiding using cheaper made headlights. The squareish beam takes some getting used to, but it puts more of the light where you need it (on the trail). Runtime on medium is about 10 hours with alkalines and is about as bright as the old EOS on high (which lasted 2 hours regulated). It has a good balance of spot and flood. On lithium batteries, this light will last all night long (16 hours) without dimming and be bright enough to comfortably hike without the weight and bulk of a heavier light like the PT Apex. You get the runtime and brightness of a last generation AA headlight at a fraction of the weight, bulk, and price.

Woods Walker

I'll second that. The EOS is a great headlight. The regulation, runtime, and brightness in a lightweight package will spoil you into avoiding using cheaper made headlights. The squareish beam takes some getting used to, but it puts more of the light where you need it (on the trail). Runtime on medium is about 10 hours with alkalines and is about as bright as the old EOS on high (which lasted 2 hours regulated). It has a good balance of spot and flood. On lithium batteries, this light will last all night long (16 hours) without dimming and be bright enough to comfortably hike without the weight and bulk of a heavier light like the PT Apex. You get the runtime and brightness of a last generation AA headlight at a fraction of the weight, bulk, and price.

Check out my EOS/EOS II review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2696503#post2696503

My EOS II has a The squareish beam which is showed in part on my white wall hunting beam shots. However as stated the beam is great for trail/bushwacking use. But my 4-mode Rebel EOS does not have the squarish beam as the optic is a bit more frosted. This is at no cost in throw and the darn thing seems even brighter with a warmer tint. Don't know if this is just the LED gamble that we all play or rather there are higher bins of Rebels just like Cree Q4 to Q5 etc. Darn if I know. But like the EOS II it works great for a headlamp. Nice to see they know just what makes a great headlamp.

Green LED.

Yea the EOS and Apex are a great combo. Have the same setup. I was thinking about the new 130 lumen Apex or maybe try my hand at a Apex mod but fear cracking the case. Anyways the older 60 lumen Apex still does everything I want. Nice flood from the 5mm LEDS (but a bit blue) and good throw from the 60 lumen spot light. Thinking the newer Apex just offers more goodness. :cool:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yea the EOS and Apex are a great combo. Have the same setup. I was thinking about the new 130 lumen Apex or maybe try my hand at a Apex mod but fear cracking the case. Anyways the older 60 lumen Apex still does everything I want. Nice flood from the 5mm LEDS (but a bit blue) and good throw from the 60 lumen spot light. Thinking the newer Apex just offers more goodness. :cool:
Yup, I've been on the fence about modding my Apex for a while too. With the brighter LED, I think the new Apex is even better than the original one - I always thought the difference in brightness wasn't that much between low-Lux and high 5mmLED.

Woods Walker

Yea same here with the mod thing. I am thinking if I need yet another headlamp it would be the newer 130 lumen Apex with 8xAA battery pack. I can attach the pack to my PFD for night trips with the kayak. Or put it inside my pocket to keep the NiMH batteries warm during winter pulk trips. These are the times I need throw and sometimes don't want to use my extra hand to play around with my flashlight. I seen info on a new Petzel that is regulated and has a rating for over 100 lumens but it does not have the flood 5mm LEDs of the Apex. However it has a diffuser. I wonder if anyone here owns a 8xAAA Apex?

Last edited:

11mongo11

Newly Enlightened
So, I didn't buy it this year, but I have owned 2. Black Diamond made a 1 watt hi output with an LED that was amazing each time I turned it on. $20. I saw it in the Campmor catalog last week. They were only a few ounces. I illuminated a 10 x 30 driveway and part of a 2 car garage from the second floor. :twothumbs

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I've been on the fence about modding my Apex for a while too. With the brighter LED, I think the new Apex is even better than the original one - I always thought the difference in brightness wasn't that much between low-Lux and high 5mmLED.

With U2SVOH at close range there still isn't much difference asides from color, but from say 10 ft out it's very apparent.